• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Can 'High School Musical' do it again?

BY THE NUMBERS
    -High School Musical soundtrack albums sold in the USA to date: 4.1 million

-Albums sold internationally: 2.8 million

-Singles and downloads sold of High School Musical 2's What Time Is It: 267,000 in 3 weeks

-Viewers of first HSM broadcast Jan. 20, 2006: 7,732,000

-Viewers of HSM July 22, 2007: 5,791,000

-Average of 24 airings: 4,645,000

-Sales of HSM DVDs in USA/Canada: 4.2 million

-DVDs sold internationally: 3.7 million

-HSM U.S. concert tour gross: $25 million

Source: Disney, Billboard Boxscore, Nielsen Soundscan, Nielsen Media Research, USA TODAY research

Can 'High School Musical' do it again?

By Bill Keveney
    USA TODAY
    August 10, 2007

What time is it?

If you're a preteen or teenager — or the parent of one — you probably know the answer.

It's seven days, a few hours and way too many seconds until the sequel to the surprise TV hit of last year, High School Musical, airs on the Disney Channel on Aug. 17. Disney has given the movie's young fans a glimpse of what's to come by releasing What Time Is It, the first music video from High School Musical 2.

If you're not sure what this is all about, here's the score: High School Musical is a pop culture and marketing phenomenon, innocent enough for the Disney Channel and cool enough to fuel a new generation's interest in musicals.

Since its premiere in January 2006, the original two-hour TV movie has been seen by roughly 160 million people, according to Disney. It has generated $500 million in sales of DVDs, soundtracks (it was the No. 1 album of any type for 2006) and other retail items. There has been a concert tour by the cast and a stage version that just opened in Chicago. An ice show premieres in New York next month. The movie also has inspired about 2,000 real-life high school musical productions, Disney says.

Now the question is: Can Disney catch lightning in a bottle again, and come up with a sequel as popular as the original?
    Full article at:
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...terstitialskip
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Can 'High School Musical' do it again?

I believe the answer to your question is "yes."

HSM2 won't require the word of mouth or viral marketing (although there will be plenty) of its predecessor to be a success. The audience is established--to say the least--and they're itching to see what's next for the kids of East High.

Expect to see a response not unlike the first two POTC movies. "Curse of the Black Pearl" caught everyone by surprise and was a huge success. "Dead Man's Chest" was even bigger. HSM and HSM2 are poised to follow that exact same pattern.

Love it or hate it, High School Musical 2 is going to be huge.

• Banned User

Now the big question: Will they flock to a multiplex nearest thee for the next installment?

• love my friends

i sAY YES

m girls are so looking forward to thenew musciall.. they keep counting downthe days I think it wil go over big time

Friends for life

• The Darkness to Light

My mother must be the exception to the rule. She finally admitted her real age (or is at the point where she can't hide it), and it's rather strange being the son of a 60-year-old women who is excited to see what Disney has in store for HSM2. I liked it better when I thought she was 48. At least then it would make sense.

As for me? I'll watch just because I'm curious, but I really hope I don't get sucked into the franchise again like I did the first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    Now the big question: Will they flock to a multiplex nearest thee for the next installment?
    And will I be working during that release? God, I hope not. I don't like dealing with the tweens in the area of town where the movie house I work for is located. We had a Hannah Montanna advertisement looping in the lobby this summer, and every last one of them was dancing and singing to it whenever they heard it.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Drunk On Disney

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    Is this getting a theatrical release?

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• The Darkness to Light

The third one is, but not this one.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Is this getting a theatrical release?
    There's talk of making a new HSM movie for theatrical release, but nothing definite has been announced.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    There's talk of making a new HSM movie for theatrical release, but nothing definite has been announced.
    The beauty of a proposed third film as a theatrical release is that it could be made for a very modest budget and make its money back in it's first weekend.

I'd expect to see the next chapter to see these Wildcats heading overseas to assure international expansion. Back up the Brinks trucks again.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    i sAY YES

m girls are so looking forward to thenew musciall.. they keep counting downthe days I think it wil go over big time

Just for anybody who has the service. It is available on Disney on Demand PPV starting today if you have FIOS TV service.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

^^^ I'm crying just a little bit right now. I want to watch it today! I don't want to wait a week.

Um, sorry. Honest - my 9 year old wrote that. Really.

Pretty sure it's a done deal that this one will be big! What has surprised me is that they didn't even wait and use ideas from the 2nd movie for all the new products that have come out in the last 2 weeks. Key chains that play songs -- from the first movie. A DDR style dance mat with songs -- from the first movie. You get the idea...

Anyone else hear this one today: "MOM! It's only ONE MORE WEEK!! ONE!! Seven days!! Can you even STAND it?" Yeah - that's what I woke up to. Thought someone must be bleeding for that much volume to be coming from the girl...but nope - it was the result of a commercial!!

The super sucky part of the idea of a theatrical release from a parent's point of view: whiny girls wanting to see it over and over again because that's what they did for the first 2 movies!! Although, I'm thinking that at age 10 (next summer) she'll be old enough to go with friends and I can drop her off and not watch it with her. Well, maybe I'll watch it once. At least.
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    Wow. Imagine if a HSM movie musical is a huge blockbuster, which I wouldn't doubt...

Do I see High School Lair at Tom Sawyer's Island on the horizon?

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Do I see High School Lair at Tom Sawyer's Island on the horizon?
    No, they are just going to adjust a part of DCA to look like East High. I think it's going to go next to the Route 66/Cars area.

And for anyone that can't tell, I'm joking!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

The early reviews are mixed. No surprise there.

From Variety:

The freshly scrubbed faces of the stars of "High School Musical" teasingly kick off the highly anticipated sequel with the sure-to-be-hit song "What Time Is It?" Clearly, it's time for "High School Musical" hysteria, round two. At this point, star Zac Efron could stand in front of the cameras reading the phone book and millions of girls would watch. Thankfully for viewers, and the rest of the equally talented cast, the new telepic offers plenty to tune in for.

In fact, Hollywood might want to take note of just how director-choreographer Kenny Ortega and writer Peter Barsocchini eluded the sophomore slump with this winning sequel to the Disney Channel megahit.

Proving that lightning can and does strike twice, "High School Musical 2" actually surpasses the first movie in sheer energy and verve. Granted, Ortega and Barsocchini don't stray too far from the original formula: Instead of jocks vs. art and math geeks, it's the haves against the have-nots, with scheming diva Sharpay (Ashley Tisdale) making sure the class divide stays nice and wide.
    http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...ryid=1264&cs=1

From Entertainment Weekly's Gillian Flynn:

I am no snob about simplistic, low-bar, rainbow-colored sing-alongs. I wanted to enjoy High School Musical 2 as much as I enjoyed High School Musical: in moderation, with a pleasant blush and a benevolent, the-kids-are-alright smile. Well, bummer for me! This inevitable sequel — a third film is already in the works — feels too simplistic, too low-bar. (The colors are still pretty.) Troy and Gabriella and their Wildcat friends land summer jobs at the exclusive golf club owned by the parents of those showboating siblings, Sharpay (Ashley Tisdale) and Ryan (Lucas Grabeel). That conniving Sharpay promptly starts wooing Troy with potential college scholarships and a cushy job as a golf pro! Much is made of this not-major moral dilemma. Troy misses a date with Gabriella; Troy practices with the university basketball team; Troy enjoys his new Italian golf shoes (it's always amusing when marketing juggernaut Disney lectures kids on acquisitiveness).
    http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20050804,00.html