• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

7/7: Cookies & Treats

Something free for the kids at Disneyland, plus an NFFC discount for readers... discuss it here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 7/7: Cookies & Treats

I want to take my cousins to Disneyland (they haven't been there for a while) just so they can bake some Mickey Mouse-Shaped Cookies!
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

• Mentat

OK, call me Scrooge McDuck but....

They're just cookies. Doesn't it seem like an expensive way to teach your kid how to make a simple cookie?

On the other hand, One of my daughters loves cooking (I'm a restaurant owner/chef-- must have rubbed off or something) and might enjoy the deviation from ride queues.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by cbkonczak
    OK, call me Scrooge McDuck but....

They're just cookies. Doesn't it seem like an expensive way to teach your kid how to make a simple cookie?

On the other hand, One of my daughters loves cooking (I'm a restaurant owner/chef-- must have rubbed off or something) and might enjoy the deviation from ride queues.
    Would you say the Mark Twain is an expensive way to sail around in a puddle of water? Think of the cookie baking this way ... it's part of the show. Plus Disneyland doesn't foot the bill for this, Nestle does, since they are the sponsor. And, as you said, deviation from the ride queues. The kids I watched LOVED the cookie baking and the parents looked like they were having a ball as well. And who knows, sometimes it's little things like this that spark a great big interest, and some day one of those Junior Chefs could grow up to be a restaurant owner/chef just like you.

• Mentat

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Kruse
    Would you say the Mark Twain is an expensive way to sail around in a puddle of water?

Ahhh, you got me there!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

This is a great special attraction for the younger kids. My 3 year old nephew and his 5 year old sister love this, and are already 2-time veterans.
    It's interactive for them, it's really personalized w/ small groups and they get to help decorate and keep their chef hats. Also all the parents I've seen waiting for their kids seem to truly appreciate the break. More cookies!

• FastPass n00b

This is a really neat idea, it's such a small effort, but it means a lot to little kids and gives them great memories of the park in the decades to come. It's usually the little efforts that kids remember about Disneyland. I mean, sure, every kid remembers Haunted Mansion and the Jungle Cruise, but the little things that Disneyland does are probably the most special for a child. To them, making cookies inside Disneyland is just as much a part of the experience as Pirates of the Carribbean is for us.

One thing I love about kids is that they have absolutely no sense of time or reference to time. They do things because they like it, not because they get nostalgic or have lots of memories of something. In this vein, they find cookie baking just as fun as anything in the park because they have no serious emotional attachment and simply aren't jaded as we've become. It's one of the great things about kids is that all that matters to them is having fun. Kudos to Disneyland and Nestle for coming up with such a great idea.

• Iron-Clad Allie

What a delicious diversion! Other than at shcool, it isn't everyday that kids are afforded the opportunity to participate in such a delightul learning activity. Being taught hands-on by masterful chefs how to make cookies from scratch is an exoerience only to be found at Disneyland. Judging by the pictures, there seemed to three or four bakers with red apons and hats. A ratio of at least one/seven would mean plenty of individualized attention.

I can just feature some of the young kids going right to work making cookies the second that they arrive home from vacation. These really are priceless moments that 100 kids/day, 700/wk will take pride in throughout their lives. How truely cool it is of you to arrange the special $5 admission fee offer for MiceAge readers at the NFFC Show & Sale Information event.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-07-2005 at 05:10 PM.

The cookie "baking" was imported from The Land pavilion in Epcot where they have been doing it for years.

It was a lot of fun for us during our 2000 trip. I'm glad to see it in Disneyland.

Short write up at the bottom of
    http://www.bartlett-sloan.net/ccaidisneyy2kf.html

Pic of my girls in their chef's hats at
    http://www.bartlett-sloan.net/ccaiy2kcookiechefs.jpg

The hats being used now are much fancier. Note the obligatory Mickey head hand drawn on the hats with the child's name!

TVKirby
    Disney Theme Parks Related TV
    http://www.bartlett-sloan.net/tv

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Sometimes It's Fun To Be Kneady

It Kneaded to be said.

• Mentat

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    One thing I love about kids is that they have absolutely no sense of time or reference to time. They do things because they like it, not because they get nostalgic or have lots of memories of something. In this vein, they find cookie baking just as fun as anything in the park because they have no serious emotional attachment and simply aren't jaded as we've become.
    That is a great way to look at it! I mentioned the cookies to my 4 year old, and she was pretty hip to the idea.

• Angel baby

I think it's great that this is being offered. DL isn't all about rides and expensive food. It's about making memories "hey mommy! Remember when we were at disneyland and I made cookies and they baked really fast and there was a mickey head on it??? that was sooooo coool!!!!!!!!!!"

It's also adding to the atmosphere/streetmosphere and providing a break to the seemingly endless lines and crowds

to cookie baking!
    Folks
    I'd like to sing a song about the American Dream
    About me
    About you
    About the way our American hearts beat way down in the bottoms of our chests
    About that special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts
    Or maybe below the cockles
    Maybe in the sub-cockle area
    Maybe in the liver
    Maybe in the kidneys
    Maybe even in the colon
    We don't know