• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

8/21: At the Tip of the Hat

Steve takes another look at one of the details that make the Disneyland Railroad so special. Discuss it here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 8/21: At the Tip of the Hat

The 1974-1981 design is definitive. I can't imagine a more perfect style.

The badges for station agents are especially important. I'd like to see those plates, at least, return.

Wink Re: 8/21: At the Tip of the Hat

Hello and thanks for the authentic look at the disneyland railroads' histroy of hat badges! I agree that there has been some progress and some of the older ones were original but a look at the current ones is good especially nice before the 50th anniversary! My only wish is that they'd bring back the extra track with switches! I've seen some old video of e.p.ripley going past c.k.holiday at new orleans square! Maybe now the guest have a choice whether to disembark or stay on at every station! Other than that,maybe back in walts' day,most just wanted a train ride and also there weren't originally 4 stops! So there has been progress but that would be amazing if those side tracks were still around! I was told by a cast member that at new orleans square,the two stations switched sides! I don't know why! Maybe there is more room now? I was also told by a conductor that the track actually moved from its' original spots! I disagree because it would change the whole layout! If you take special note,the track is a perfect circle! What I mean by that is that there is no left turns except by the round house! So in my opinion,the original layout remains with the side tarcks gone but we still have a real working switch tower signaling when the next train is to shortly pull into the station seconds after the black and white marker comes down! Thanks for all the articles! 07

You are new, aren't you? New Orleans Square actually has less room now, and the trains are probably longer. Besides, they can't have trains passing, as the public would be screaming "I wanted to get off there!" Can't have two trains stopped at a station: it's Disneyland, not Union Station. For safety and probably insurance reasons too, they can't have people getting off the back train and have people climbing over the closer train, and/or climbing over couplers..."Disneyland, you owe me a new dress!"
    Although it's a boring system, it still works. Enjoy the train ride while you still have it. If you want side tracks, build your own. Then, you could add a crossover! And a trestle!
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

Quote Originally Posted by Brer Bear View Post
    You are new, aren't you?
    A bit harsh, don't you think?

Dan

• Sarcastic Enthusiast

Very interesting article. So did the badges at the other parks follow the same pattern of nice-then-rotten-then nice? Are they completely different? Do I see another installment on the horizon?
    MagicalTrash.com - Documenting the trash cans of Disney theme parks and resorts

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by michael crosson View Post
    I was told by a cast member that at new orleans square,the two stations switched sides! I don't know why! Maybe there is more room now? I was also told by a conductor that the track actually moved from its' original spots! I disagree because it would change the whole layout! If you take special note,the track is a perfect circle! What I mean by that is that there is no left turns except by the round house! So in my opinion,the original layout remains with the side tarcks gone but we still have a real working switch tower signaling when the next train is to shortly pull into the station seconds after the black and white marker comes down!
    Indeed, the station you see across the tracks was once the actual queue structure. It also was once situated pretty close to where the entrance to the Blue Bayou is now, so you can get some idea of how the track has expanded.

The station was moved across the tracks to make more room for NOS. So the conductor you spoke to is correct--the track has changed quite a bit from its original configuration--although it still makes a loop around the park. This loop, however, wshould not be construed as being a "perfect circle."

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Tannerman View Post
    Very interesting article. So did the badges at the other parks follow the same pattern of nice-then-rotten-then nice? Are they completely different? Do I see another installment on the horizon?
    The WDW RR utilized a very nice badge, with an intertwinded WDW. I was going to show a photo of one, but decided against it, as the article focused on DL only. This badge was then supplanted by the "Magic Kingdom" badge you see in the article.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Did the brass castle vest buttons evolve too?
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Closed Account

Yes, Coursin, they did.

In the early years, actual Santa Fe Buttons were used. They featured the standard Santa Fe logo--the cross in the circle, with the words "Santa Fe" written across the front.

After that, Retlaw buttons were used, featuring the Retlaw logo consisting of two back-to-back "R's".

After that came the Castle buttons used today. Interestingly, the company that makes the buttons has a website that apparently lists them for sale to the general public:

http://www.waterburybutton.com/user-...panies&id=5132

If I get a chance, I'll try to get some photos and make an addendum on the buttons and WDW badge to appear in a future article.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Smile Re: 8/21: At the Tip of the Hat

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Yes, Coursin, they did.

In the early years, actual Santa Fe Buttons were used. They featured the standard Santa Fe logo--the cross in the circle, with the words "Santa Fe" written across the front.

After that, Retlaw buttons were used, featuring the Retlaw logo consisting of two back-to-back "R's".

After that came the Castle buttons used today. Interestingly, the company that makes the buttons has a website that apparently lists them for sale to the general public:

http://www.waterburybutton.com/user-...panies&id=5132

If I get a chance, I'll try to get some photos and make an addendum on the buttons and WDW badge to appear in a future article.
    (What would he do for articles without me serving up these softball questions?) :-)
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]