Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

2/10: Tupperware Thoughts

Sue spent $130 for a Disneyland merchandise event only to end up comparing it to a Tupperware party. You're welcome to share your thoughts here - but only before you burp the extra air out of them.
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Space Mountain Expert

Daang, Seeing as how I don't live in Southern California, and only get to the park twice a year if I'm lucky, this type of event sounds like something I'd love to have attended. And if Sue was really that unhappy with it, I can only imagine what the other events have been like.
    Can someone tell me how you find out when those events take place? I'd love to plan my next vacation around something like that.
    And Sue...although I'm sorry that this event wasn't that memorable, trust me, for someone like me who only sees the Disneyland that most normal tourists do, I'd have traded places with you in a heartbeat to attend a night like that! Thanks for the update. It was fun to experience it proxy!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    That you Sue. I stopped going to the merchandise events after the 2nd Mansion event. I remember the horrid Pirates event, and the wonderful Villians event. But I was just tired of spending so much money for a ticket to buy more stuff. Especially when much of what you can buy at these events ends up at the Disney Gallery or Disneyana later. If they all had the Entertainment value of the first Haunted event or the Villans event, then it would be so much of a question for me. The entertainment alone would be worth the price. Perhaps, instead of just merchandise events, they should do entertainment events (special evenings that aren't intended to sell you anything other than a ticket).

I was interested in giving the events one more try with the Indy event, which I understand STILL has tickets available. However, I'll be in London and won't be able to attend. Couldn't we twist your arm and convince you to change your mind? It would be a shame for such an event not to be documented by the amazing Sue!

Thank you for the lovely column and for all the wonderful pictures that you come back from these events with.

-The Dusty One
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyking
    Can someone tell me how you find out when those events take place? I'd love to plan my next vacation around something like that.
    Here's a link to the Disney special events:
    http://psc.disney.go.com/eventservic...ery/index.html
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Space Mountain Expert

Thanks for the link Dustysage! I appreciate it

• Fun is where you find it

First off - Sue, there will never be another Toad event, ever. The guest size was small and the target audience was older and folks with more $$. What Disney Merchandise has done is focused on where they can have a better chance of breaking even on large events - because charging a huge $ for entry into one of these is a barrier for the masses.

Mind you - $130 is a lot, but the framed set you got, plus the ones you got to trade, probably together retails for around $100.00 ($50 for the framed set, $10.50 for each of the limited edition pins). Regardless whether they end up at Disneyana, or Disney Auctions, that's the retail price. Besides that, since it was focused on C&D there was a lot more family/kid element to it. Many people on the boards across the Internet have said they took kids

I too don't like the formula - but you know the last Mansion event was fun because it was different from the others. I did not attend the C&D event because I too have dropped pins as a merchandise staple. I am, however, an art collector so these events have a different spin for me than for most folks that want a lot of event magic.

It is a chance to take with Indy - but I made a guess that since it was a land they had not done anything with in a LONG time and it was based on the E-Ticket. However, since there is no slotted specific entertainment it does seem like it would somewhat follow the formula.

Besides, as Cast Member Matt has had his plan in place - people go for the rides, not entertainment. So my guess is you will see less of these special events - or possibly much more limited (and more costly) attendance to private functions.

great article, Sue. you made it feel as if i were there.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Just started pin trading but an event surrounding that theme did not inspire me to purchase tickets. A family of 3 would have cost us almost $400.00. Nice to have it described and I will make a decision on participating in the future based on your article. Thanks so much for the information. Was wondering if anyone would write about that event. Thanks again Sue!!

Hello, I enjoyed the article. Sorry you went away with an empty feeling. Personally I think the pins are worth that amount themselves. I would love to attend one of those events just for the experience. Thanks for the link. I will definately watch for the announcement of the 50th one!

I agree with the premise to the article.

I also attended the event, and with a family of 5 my perspective was of a father of 3 (7, 9, and 11). That said, I think the article was right on!
    I spent $$$ on pins for the family, spent $$$ just to get in to the event, and we had a good time. (BTW: did you know that Big Thunder Mountian was running? I found that out at the end of the night...)
    I had fun, the kids were very tired, but had fun. We did not trade much because with kids at night, they do not want to wait in line to look at a pin trading board. (I think this is why Disney has kid lanyards that only kids can trade off of.)
    It was a good night, and I am not complaining. I am looking foward to the events down the line where things are a bit more magical for me and my family!

• The Original Disney Doll

Thank you for covering the event. I had wanted to go to this but between the price and the inconvient time and the having to sign up ahead of time, it just all seemed like to much bother. And after reading your article I'm glad I didn't bother. The other problem I have with these events is that Disney doesn't provide much information about what's going to go on. A few surprises are OK but I like to know what I'm getting into before hand and at the prices they want they should really provide some more of the details.

I do hope you (or someone) will go to the Indy event because I would love to read all about it.

Sue,
    Thanks for taking the time to express your take on the event.

We attended the event also and enjoyed it. We decided that we were going to go and spend some time with friends and just take things as they were. We did that and we left with a smile on our face and warm fuzzes all around. I especially liked the cruise on the Mark Twain and the skit put on by the Sheriff and his sidekick.

• Pirate Princess

Quote Originally Posted by disneyking
    Daang, Seeing as how I don't live in Southern California, and only get to the park twice a year if I'm lucky, this type of event sounds like something I'd love to have attended...And Sue...although I'm sorry that this event wasn't that memorable, trust me, for someone like me who only sees the Disneyland that most normal tourists do, I'd have traded places with you in a heartbeat to attend a night like that! Thanks for the update. It was fun to experience it proxy!
    I was thinking the exact same thing! I am sorry that Disney kinda disappointed you, but if it were me, I don't think I would have been disappointed. Now thats just the nature of people and their circumstances being different. But I thought it sounded like a lot of fun, wish I'd have been there.

HOWEVER, at $130per person, I understand the not-so-impressed feeling you had. They should have raised the bar a little higher than carnival games for THAT price.
    "And don't underestimate the importance of BODY LANGUAGE!"

• Old Timer

It was a good report, detailed and humorous, thanks Sue for your time, effort and expense.

Course an event like this means almost nother to people like me who do not live locally or are not "mesmerized" with pin trading
    I suppose there was a computer program wrote up for these events or a formula, kinda sad how creativity has been shunted aside in the name of the almighty dollar. makes me so sad and upset that almost 100% of all the problems associated with Disney has been poor planning and profound lack of vision and creativity, things that Walter E. Disney had.
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• Santa Barbara, CA

Can you imagine how good events could be if the people creating them knew something of the culture of the audience attending? This (unlike tupperware which has intrinsic value) seems very formulaic and played out in an appeal to pin traders. Not being a Disney "consumerist", I'd be happy just to be entertained by something original and unexpected. In defense of the event, anyone attending a "Chip and Dale" affair deserves whatever they get.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast