• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Honda's Newest ASIMO Humanoid Robot Runs onto Disneyland Stage

Honda/Disneyland Resort Press Release

Honda's Newest ASIMO Humanoid Robot Runs onto Disneyland Stage

New Robot Capabilities Featured in Stage Show in 'Innoventions'

ANAHEIM, Calif., Aug. 29, 2007 -- With the ability to run nearly 4 miles per hour, the all-new ASIMO (Advanced Step in Innovative Mobility) humanoid robot is advancing closer to in-home applications. Beginning today, Disneyland park guests can experience the latest version of ASIMO at the Honda ASIMO Theater inside the Innoventions attraction.

In the Say 'Hello' to Honda's ASIMO show, park guests can see the newest ASIMO interact with a live host in a 15-minute science show. The show demonstrates ASIMO's latest technological advancements including several new mobility and artificial intelligence capabilities for enhanced human interaction, in addition to the ability to run.

Originally opened in June 2005 as part of the theme park's 50th Anniversary celebration, the Honda ASIMO Theatre gives visitors a glimpse into a not-too-distant future when humanoid robots, like ASIMO, will assist humans in their homes. Park guests see ASIMO operate in a modern home environment by using all of its unique technological capabilities, such as running, walking forward and backward, climbing and descending a flight of stairs and taking direction from a person.

The only permanent installation of ASIMO in North America, Say 'Hello' to Honda's ASIMO demonstrations take place several times daily in Innoventions. More information about ASIMO and the Say 'Hello' to Honda's ASIMO show is available at asimo.honda.com.

About ASIMO

ASIMO (Advanced Step in Innovative Mobility) is the world's most advanced humanoid robot, with the ability to run, walk forward and backward, climb stairs, turn smoothly without pausing, and maintain balance, even while walking on uneven slopes and surfaces. Honda engineers began developing a humanoid robot in 1986 for the purpose of someday helping people in need. After years of research and development, they created an advanced humanoid robot able to function in real-world environments. ASIMO originally made its U.S. debut February 14, 2002, when it rang the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange and the latest version of ASIMO, which includes the ability to run, debuted in North America at the Consumer Electronics Show, January 2007, in Las Vegas. Learn more about ASIMO at asimo.honda.com.

About Honda

Honda is one of the world's leading producers of mobility products including its diverse line-up of automobiles, motorcycles and ATVs, power products, marine engines and personal watercraft. Founded in Japan in 1948, Honda began operations in the U.S. in 1959 with the establishment of American Honda Motor Co., Inc., Honda's first overseas subsidiary. Honda began U.S. production(1) of motorcycles in 1979 and automobiles in 1982. The company has invested more than $9 billion in its North American operations, with employment of more than 33,000 associates, and annual purchases of more than $16 billion in parts and materials from suppliers in North America.

About Innoventions

Located in Tomorrowland at Disneyland park, "Innoventions" offers hands-on experience of current technologies, enabling people of all ages to experiment with an array of interactive devices, games and exhibits demonstrating how today's innovations can improve life for all of us. "Innoventions" combines Disney's storytelling abilities with the expertise of technology companies in a partnership that meets everyone's needs. The result is hands-on exhibits from leading companies in the field that tell the stories of today's technology in an interactive way.

About Disneyland Resort

Disneyland Resort features two spectacular theme parks - Disneyland (the original Disney theme park) and Disney's California Adventure - plus the Downtown Disney district comprised of unique dining, entertainment and shopping experiences. Resort hotels include the luxurious 745-room Disney's Grand Californian Hotel and Spa, the magical 990-room Disneyland Hotel and the "day at the beach" fun of the 502-room Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel.

(1) Honda products are produced using domestic and globally-sourced parts
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• For You!

Re: Honda's Newest ASIMO Humanoid Robot Runs onto Disneyland Stage

I have never actually seen ASIMO - maybe I should take a few minutes next trip.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    I have never actually seen ASIMO - maybe I should take a few minutes next trip.

Do it! It totally made me feel like a kid again and I have to say... I really enjoyed Innoventions that day and it reminded me of how the place was meant to be enjoyed. But that was just one exhibit that was worth while. But definitely really cool to see for yourself. I highly recommend.

And don't feel bad if while watching, you want ASIMO to take a tumble. We all want that.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

I caught of glimpse of the new and improved ASIMO at the Consumer Electronics Show in January:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=47

(You'll need to scroll down a little)

• Earth Intruder

Woo a new ASIMO, just in time to creep the bejesus out of everyone when the Halloween decor goes up.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Minion

I think ASIMO is cool. It's probably the only reason I step foot into innoventions lol.

• white and nerdy

That reminds me. I need to put the finishing touches on my robot... my GIRL robot.. Hehehehehheheh

Seriously, I want a robot.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• The Mystery Mouseketool

Are there any ASIMO experts out there? I've seen the show a few times, including today, but I wonder how the robot is programmed - he seems to be following the voice commands of the human actress on stage, but I wonder what's really going on...
    How much of the show do you think is programmed by rote? Does he go from one "event" to the next, waiting for his cue? If the actress says the wrong thing, will ASIMO go to that part of the show, or continue non sequitor?
    BTW, I like the slightly different version of the show I saw today. The actress doesn't claim to be a Honda engineer anymore (is she a DL CM, or a Honda hire? Either way, I'm not buying that she's a tech), and there's less of a fake "my husband and kids are about to come home" vibe (the people on her video phone calls are so actor-y, it makes me gag). Instead of the silly "plot" (OK, let me get this straight: you, your husband and kids get ASIMO in your home to play with, this is the first night he's there, and you've invited your parents over not to see the robot, but to babysit so you can go out ?!?) they should embrace that they're doing a demonstration, and just put ASIMO through his paces, using the extra time for more running (really cool), or devise some way for a few guests to interact with the robot.
    Anyway, check out ASIMO if you haven't seen him, and if you're an ASIMO fan, go see his new sprinting ability!

- Johnny
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." - BB

• Senior Minion

I can't wait too see what Honda will do next with Asimo. Too the Future, Honda! Cheers!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.