Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• One big touch screen.....

Re: 9/4: D'Oh Canada

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    I think, against the crowd, that the Martin Short thing will be good, I just wish some of the easily outdatable references were absent (one of the reasons I hate the GMR). I ashamedly did laugh at many of the gags though. Having said that, I thought Temple of Doom was the best Indy Movie and thought Pirates 3 was amazing...don't trust me
    He likes Barry Manilow people........seriously!

Having watched it on t'interweb, I have to say that it's a nice change of pace with an enjoyably light- hearted approach.

I laughed too!

Yeah, the "Canadian Celebrities" bit sticks out like the proverbial sore thumb but IF it's updated, it should be fine.

• It's all nonsense

I've only heard the audio from the movie, but it seems fun. My only complaint is that at the end when he tells you to visit the Canada pavillion and your obviously already there watching the movie.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    Also, why didn't they wait to do this until the new name change at MGM? How long will we have the out of date MGM name on the sign after the name officially changes?

Another 10-15 years.

Blog Entries

I've only heard the audio from the movie, but it seems fun. My only complaint is that at the end when he tells you to visit the Canada pavillion and your obviously already there watching the movie.
    He doesn't tell you to visit the Canada Pavilion, he tells you to visit Canada, the Country. Just go past SSE and head North.

I'm sorry Kevin but it seems like you have been searching for new topics for "Declining By Degrees" a little too hard. I mean, can you say cynic? Instead of appreciating Disney for updating the Canada film with a host that is entertaining to watch, you ripped it to shreds. Short does a great job as host here, and the small instances of lighthearty moments are nothing to groan at. It seems you're just trying to find the bad in it, when the film is quite good and much more entertaining than the previous one.

Your pleas of escapism don't make much sense in Epcot, the park based on the realities of the world. Funny how you say Disney should be all about escapism and yet there is an ENTIRE area in Epcot based on REAL countries of the world. By your standards Epcot should be wiped from the face of the planet. Correct?

I agree that the shot at France's film might backfire if that film is updated with a host, but this film strived to create a movie about Canada that was neither stuffy nor just a travel advertisement. That is why you see these small instances of comedy that help to break up the monotony of seeing picture after picture.

I'm not sure what you are looking for from an Epcot film, but please lower your standards and try to see the glass half full, not half empty.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by linklewtt View Post
    Instead of appreciating Disney for updating the Canada film with a host that is entertaining to watch, you ripped it to shreds. Short does a great job as host here, and the small instances of lighthearty moments are nothing to groan at. It seems you're just trying to find the bad in it, when the film is quite good and much more entertaining than the previous one.
    You're welcome to your opinion, of course, and I won't try to argue with you about Short's...er.. shortcomings. But I didn't rip it to shreds just to find 'declining by degrees' (a term I didn't even invoke for that story). I simply call it as I see it. Sorry you don't agree. That's the value of critics. Some you agree with; others not.

Your pleas of escapism don't make much sense in Epcot, the park based on the realities of the world. Funny how you say Disney should be all about escapism and yet there is an ENTIRE area in Epcot based on REAL countries of the world. By your standards Epcot should be wiped from the face of the planet. Correct?
    Quite incorrect. Epcot isn't about real countries. It's about post-colonial Saidian Western hegemonic representations of real countries. Put another way, it's about how us Americans view foreign countries, idealized down to constituent (some say insulting) parts, and in some cases stereotypes. Surely you don't think Germans wear that costume from day to day?

I'm not sure what you are looking for from an Epcot film, but please lower your standards and try to see the glass half full, not half empty.
    Sorry. Lowering my standards is pretty much the only thing I'll never do. I'm not sure how long you've read my online work (I'm at the nine year point for online columns now), but I positively gush when I find something that I like. The Nemo musical, for instance.

My job, as I see it, is just to call it as I see it.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Earth Intruder

I'm sorry Kevin but it seems like you have been searching for new topics for "Declining By Degrees" a little too hard. I mean, can you say cynic? Instead of appreciating Disney for updating the Canada film with a host that is entertaining to watch, you ripped it to shreds. Short does a great job as host here, and the small instances of lighthearty moments are nothing to groan at. It seems you're just trying to find the bad in it, when the film is quite good and much more entertaining than the previous one.

I agree that the shot at France's film might backfire if that film is updated with a host, but this film strived to create a movie about Canada that was neither stuffy nor just a travel advertisement. That is why you see these small instances of comedy that help to break up the monotony of seeing picture after picture.

And everything Disney does is wonderful and great, no matter how their standards have slipped they create a magical fairyland 100% of the time, so let's just give them money and be quiet! [/sarcasm off]

a) Kevin is entitled to his OPINION, and he is not a disney apologist. If he thinks something is good, he says it is good. If he thinks it isn't good, he says that too. He pointed out good and bad things about the Canada film, just FYI.

b) "By your standards Epcot should be wiped from the face of the planet" -- huh? Talk about a straw man argument! I think Kevin means they should be idealized representations and/or escapism to those places (i.e. we are immersed in CANADA, not immersed in AN EPCOT PAVILLION THAT IS ABOUT CANADA. )

c) Comedy that works for some people doesn't work for everyone. People like Jim Carrey and Will Ferrell and think they are hilarious; I think they are unfunny idiots. But I should just "lower my standards" and see that they're wonderful and great just because?

It is the high standards that make Disney "Disney" and not "Six Flags". God forbid they live up to their own.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Rock Star Minion

The mooses (meeses? meese? moose?) from "BroBear" probably would have provided funnier moments.
    Simple fact is that Martin Short isn't all that funny to anyone with a well-tuned sense of humor. He thinks he's funny, so you know where his head is.

I think that having someone in character would be a lot better than someone acting as themselves. Something that requires a stretch of acting abilities. That would take Mr Short out of consideration, of course.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

What, no Ed Grimly?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    Quite incorrect. Epcot isn't about real countries. It's about post-colonial Saidian Western hegemonic representations of real countries. Put another way, it's about how us Americans view foreign countries, idealized down to constituent (some say insulting) parts, and in some cases stereotypes.
    Yep, if it was supposed to be like real countries then a cool illuminations fireworks show could be made to show the history of these countries....

You could have fireworks from the UK and France going toward each other, then UK toward the US, Germany, Italy and Japan toward everyone, US toward Germany and Japan....it would be awesome.
    Last edited by ChrisFL; 09-05-2007 at 09:48 AM.

• Senior Minion

From Kevin Yee:
    Tinker Belle meet and greet. One report says the unused Fantasyland skyway station is being considered for a meet and greet location with Tinker Belle, to correspond with the company's "Fairies" push that is meant to replace the "Princesses" initiative. This report claimed the walk up to the station is meant to "shrink" visitors down to pixie size. A competing rumor agrees about "shrinking" visitors but suggests the character tent in Mickey's Toontown Fair as the likely location.
    Is Belle from Beauty and the Beast going to be there? Or did I read this wrong?
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quick random thoughts:

I do agree with Kevin to a degree (get the humor?) about when Disney tries to make fun of itself. Sometimes it works ... MuppetVision ... Comedy Warehouse when CMs are in the house ... well, I guess most times it doesn't ... like in the Tiki Room Under New Management, Stitch's Great Belchoff ... or to a lesser extent Ellen's Energy Adventure.

Celebs are definitely part of the problem ... and it depends on whether you like them or not to some degree. I loved Cranium Command ... but I also was a huge SNL fan in the 1980s ... it didn't age well at all and the self-aware celeb were a huge part of that.

Martin Short? I think he can be very, very funny. He was fine in The Making of Me ... and he's great in Cinemagique at DSP. I'll reserve my judgment on the new film until I see it. My biggest complain, frankly, is the cutting five minutes of film time under the guise that it's needed for the MTV/X-Box/I-Pod generation (whatever that is). I think it's all a load of steaming, fetid cow turd.

If you go by that logic, one day every attraction will be over before it starts ... or will be available with virtual reality headsets only. It's just an excuse used by creatively bereft execs to make choices that fit their personal tastes and other career goals.

Someone made a comment about the Garden Grove at the Swan being renamed. Well, it hasn't been. It's been that since 1990 when the hotel opened and was likely themed to the orange groves in the area that have since become low income housing tracts and strip centers for WDW CMs. The place changes to Gulliver's at night when Disney characters show up. FWIW, the food there is quite good and it's one of the few character experiences I can stand.

Finally, no offense Kevin, but the biggest news right now is what's going on at EPCOT behind the scenes and what it means for the future.

Things are looking up in a big way there and the 25th celebration isn't going to be a small little event at all. ... Just go backstage and take a gander at all the decorations that are arriving ... and how they're having a countdown to the 25th just like they did for the original opening ... and how original EC logos are popping up and taking the place of YoaMD crap backstage (and soon on it as well).

There's so much going on right now that it's hard to keep track ... but don't be surprised if there are two Disney parks with new names come 2008 ... well, make that one new name and one rightful and original one.

That is all. Keep up the good work!

• Can't Wait To Go!

I thought the coverage of "O Canada" was great, but as the resident Canadian, I have to point out the following:

• Bay of Funday should be Bay of Fundy
    • Ottowa should be Ottawa
    • The picture of Victoria, BC via helicopter is actually of Vancouver, BC
    • "lame attempt at humor" should be "lame attempt at humour"

Ha ha...
    "Maybe because Godzilla is inside each one of us."
    - Godzilla 2000, the Movie

• Know More Than You Should

I don't mind the new O'Canada film (heck, I'm glad just to see a new CircleVision film!), but I agree that it is less charming than the old film and is in danger of becoming outdated within a few years. While the old film showed a bit too much age, and wasn't quite modern enough, the new film is too modern and too MTV generation.

I was worried when I heard Martin Short would be hosting; it didn't sound like a good idea to me. He pulls it off, but since he is already a B-List celebrity, I doubt he will age even as well as Bill Nye and Ellen (Bill Nye still gets shown in a lot of classrooms, and Ellen does have a talkshow still). The celebrity sequence is a complete mistake. The self referential comedy made me laugh (particularly the bit with Corey Burton at the beginning about the France pavilion), but that was only because I knew the France pavillion well and was laughing as much at the joke as I was surprised to see it used. I do believe all this hurts the repeatability of the attraction, but that's not really a problem for people who only visit every few years.

The old film was too cold and the new film is too hot- but we need something that's just right.

It is surprising that after spending the money to update the film they didn't bother to tell anybody about it. With so much to do at Epcot, I'm sure there will be people who skip it because they've seen it already, or are disappointed to see the film is not the one they were expecting. Just being able to complain about a lack of marketing on WDWs part is surprising.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

A couple of things...since when has standing watching a tourism movie been escapism?? Immersion? I'm standing watching a film and I know it. The old films...the new films...they are all just films not expirences. So the parts in which the new film made fun of itself were greatly welcomed. I smiled at them. Will it age well? No. Its a film. None of them have. Oh well.

Secondly...the whole thing of
    Why was there an EMH? Well, to make up for the fact that Monday would be closed at 7pm, despite being a holiday, due to the Pirate & Princess party.
    is 100% wrong. Sunday night has been EMH in the Magic Kingdom since at least summer 2006. Summer 2007 brought it to be Friday and Sunday nights...but always Sunday nights. Even all those other weeks when P&P was not on a Monday night EMH was still on Sunday night. Please check things like that before you write them into an article as fact.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast