Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• back in Austin

Re: 9/4: D'Oh Canada

Short kicks out the voice and tells him to "go to the France pavilion, where they still like invisible narrators." This lame attempt at humor is risky because someday, presumably soon, France will update its own movie. But even more so than that, the movie tries to be "hip and edgy" by pronouncing itself self-aware. "I'm a movie in Epcot" it seemingly cries, "so I'll make jokes aboutbeing in Epcot!" Self-referential jokes work on Saturday Night Live or late night talk shows, but they have no place in Disney theme parks, where the whole point is escapism, not Brechtian alienation effects. We don't want to ripped out of the illusion, we want the illusion to be complete, the transformation and the transportation to another place and time to be earnest. Not ironic.
    I agree with Kevin on this one. I don't think the movie is supposed to be escapist, but I do believe very whole-heartedly that Disney entertainment is at its worst when it is self-aware, self-referential and "hip and edgy". They need to return to childlike charm and humor. That's the magic that drew us into the Disney world in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    Even that old theme park whore herself, Whoopi Goldberg, has oodles more appeal than Martin Short.
    ouch. I wonder what it must be like to read stuff like that about yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by EPCOT View Post
    Having watched it on t'interweb,....
    link, please?

Quote Originally Posted by RenMan View Post
    I agree with Kevin on this one. I don't think the movie is supposed to be escapist, but I do believe very whole-heartedly that Disney entertainment is at its worst when it is self-aware, self-referential and "hip and edgy". They need to return to childlike charm and humor. That's the magic that drew us into the Disney world in the first place.
    I agree as well, I've heard the tiki birds at MK does the same thing by telling people to sleep in the hall of presidents..I dont appreciate that bashing of classic attractions in its own park.

Leave that kind of "hip and edgy" to Universal, they're better at it too.

• One big touch screen.....

Quote Originally Posted by RenMan View Post

link, please?
    http://www.attractionsmagazine.com/video.php

Blog Entries

First off, if WDW1974's comments about two parks having new names in 2008 comes true, well I may just have to leap with joy. Losing the wand and going back to EPCOT Center would be the ultimate in Epcot Geekdom for me.

Then there's this:

A couple of things...since when has standing watching a tourism movie been escapism?? Immersion? I'm standing watching a film and I know it. The old films...the new films...they are all just films not expirences. So the parts in which the new film made fun of itself were greatly welcomed. I smiled at them. Will it age well? No. Its a film. None of them have. Oh well.
    I agree with this, and especially have to smirk a bit thinking back to your old column that you wrote about not liking films at all because of how they don't have repeat value even in the good ones. I never liked the original Canada film. This one is much better, however my complaint is that all we have for the most part in World Showcase are films aside from two rides and a nice show in America. I really wish they'd take the time and finish the Germany ride and also add the raft ride to Canada. Another one that I wouldn't mind seeing (although I know many would hate it) would be to have a Marry Poppins ride in the UK section where she shows us around the UK.

Talking Re: 9/4: D'Oh Canada

Kevin sez
    But even more so than that, the movie tries to be "hip and edgy" by pronouncing itself self-aware. "I'm a movie in Epcot" it seemingly cries, "so I'll make jokes aboutbeing in Epcot!" Self-referential jokes work on Saturday Night Live or late night talk shows, but they have no place in Disney theme parks, where the whole point is escapism, not Brechtian alienation effects.
    "Where do you think you ARE? DISNEY WORLD!!!???"
    (Cranium Command)

Oops. Closed Attraction. Doesn't count! <VBG>

TVKirby

• Santa Barbara, CA

They should have gotten Michael Moore to do it. He could have done his Canadian take on the rest of the Pavilion and called it "Cheapo".
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• missing the DisneyGallery

Quote Originally Posted by EPCOT View Post
    The wand's gone, the hat remains (at the studios).

I'm pretty sure that the hat is there for good as per the licensing agreement with the studio that owns the actual Chinese Theater in Hollywood. I'm surprised that Kevin did not know that.

When attractions were original

Quote Originally Posted by SciFi96 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the hat is there for good as per the licensing agreement with the studio that owns the actual Chinese Theater in Hollywood. I'm surprised that Kevin did not know that.
    The Chinese Theater was just bought out by another company this week

Blog Entries

And this is actually urban legend and is not true. The Chinese Theatre could not be used as the icon of the park per the agreement, but the hat is not there because of that.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    Personally I think it would have been funnier to have the Moose in Brother Bear do the narration... DUH! (One would have thought that this would have made a better choice...)
    YES!! The Moose commentary a la Mystery Science Theatre 3K on the Brother Bear DVD is worth the cost alone!

Forget Martin Short. Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis as the MacKenzie Moose, Rutt and Tuke, would been the way to go. Imagine the moose tour across Canada! Have Rutt and Tuke play hockey instead of Short. Oh the possibilities...

What a blown opportunity for synergy that was.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• missing the DisneyGallery

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    And this is actually urban legend and is not true. The Chinese Theatre could not be used as the icon of the park per the agreement, but the hat is not there because of that.
    So its just a big coincidence that Disney can't use the theater in any promotional manner and the hat just happens to be there in front of it?

When attractions were original

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by SciFi96 View Post
    So its just a big coincidence that Disney can't use the theater in any promotional manner and the hat just happens to be there in front of it?
    I think it's very unlikely that Disney is stuck with a contract that allowed them to build a replica of the facade of Grauman's Chinese Theatre in 1989 but forced them to partially (but not completely) hide it behind a big hat in 2001.

The Chinese Theatre was not owned by MGM or any other studio at the time that Disney-MGM Studios was built. It was owned by Mann Theatres, and was called by Mann's Chinese Theatre at the time. The name has been restored to Grauman's Chinese Theatre because Tedd Mann no longer owns Mann Theatres.

The big hat was undoubtedly a clueless Disney executive's "brilliant" idea to infuse Disney-MGM Studios with more "Disney Magic" and to encourage more pin purchases and trading.

The Chinese Theatre would not be a good icon for Disney-MGM Studios (or Disney's Hollywood Studios). It just doesn't have the graphic quality of the other park icons, and it's not a unique structure either (the real one is still in the real Hollywood). But it's a great focal point for Hollywood Boulevard at Disney-MGM Studios—or at least it was until the silly hat appeared.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Pirate - G'har!

The water tower is the icon for MGM really it's just not very central

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123