Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

9/4: D'Oh Canada

Martin falls Short at Epcot, A wand is gone/a sign is fixed, WDW Update & Rumor Rundown. Discuss all six pages of Kevin's huge update here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Minion

Re: 9/4: D'Oh Canada

Great update!!! I'm really hoping all of those changes for MGM materialize as well as the Australia section for DAK. I was also really happy to read about the possible additions to empty spaces in MK. Even though I'm not overly thrilled about a complete Pirates take over of Adventureland, it might not be such a bad idea if it would mean a new roller coaster and Tiki show. I assume that would also spell the end of the flying carpets (not sure how they could justify keeping that in a Pirates land). Thanks for all the great news, Kevin.

So, Kevin hates the Canada film update. Big surprise. I really don't know why this guy goes to Disney parks at all since he is so hyper-critical.

While I haven't seen the update in person, I have heard a binaural recording and saw a video on another web site.

I liked the update and thought Martin Short was a good, likable host.

It is true that some of the pop-culture references may become dated quickly.

• Pirate - G'har!

Great update! I think the new Canada film looks good fun, granted the celebrity section was a mistake but for the most part I think it looks enjoyable. I thought Martin Short was brilliant in Cinemagique but that was a different kind of show alltogether (and the general idea/execution was so good on Cinemagique it was hard for Martin Short to ruin it, especially due to limited dialogue). Nice to see that some long-neglected MK landmarks are getting some TLC (or at least rumoured to be), ie Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion. Fingers crossed this trend will continue!

Blog Entries

First I really like the new Canada film right now but I do have to agree that it is a bit too topical. I really liked the Bill Nye version of energy when it opened, I hate it now. O' Canada isn't as bad of an offender as that is, but I too wondered what will happen when some of those celebrities are less known. However I have hope that they'll keep that section up to date as it shouldn't be too hard to just splice in new faces here. I think the tourists will really like it, at least for 5 years or more.

As to the new signs at the TTC. Does anyone else wonder why they still have the earful towers as the icon for MGM? Also, why didn't they wait to do this until the new name change at MGM? How long will we have the out of date MGM name on the sign after the name officially changes?

•   
    • Minion

I agree with Al, I don't find Short all that funny... His best work always seems to be character work as a streight man oposite somone who is funnier... like Steve Martin... (Three Amigos, Father of the Bride...) I am surprised someone in hollywood hasn't come up with the idea that they should team up together again and remake the Odd Couple... That actually might be funny, but it would be inspite of Short - who gives off this Tony Randal vibe on cocain anyway...

Personally I think it would have been funnier to have the Moose in Brother Bear do the narration... DUH! (One would have thought that this would have made a better choice...)
    Check out my other blog:

• missing the DisneyGallery

I dont get the statement "One icon down, One to go." Could someone explain.

When attractions were original

• One big touch screen.....

Quote Originally Posted by SciFi96 View Post
    I dont get the statement "One icon down, One to go." Could someone explain.
    The wand's gone, the hat remains (at the studios).

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

They've renamed a restaurant at WDW Garden Grove? That is absolutely hilarious! I wonder if that is a nod to Anaheim's neighboring city to the south, lovingly referred by the locals as Garbage Grove.

• Rock Star Minion

Canada movie sounds like something that Eisner would have liked.

I'm not a big Short fan, either.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I'd guess that with Martin Short involved in a movie, there had to be some level of funny. Whether the funny came from Martin himself or from the writers, it seems to be clear that the tongue-in-cheek references might not have been the best way to go. I'll see it for myself in about 3 months. Thanks as always for the great update, Kevin!

• Earth Intruder

Thanks for the update Kevin... I totally agree that what lots of us love about Disney IS the earnestness, not the tongue-in-cheek stuff. Once in a while, sure (i.e. Jungle Cruise), but not as a rule. However, this is the Shrek generation of the short and sweet shelf life.

I'm not sure what you want though out of escapism in the World Showcase. Isn't the travelogue portion of O Canada pretty escapist?

Personally, I don't find Martin Short funny. He was sort of okay in that movie Inner Space with Dennis Quaid. But except for that... blech. I guess if you like his sort of stupid humor, you'll like O Canada. Not sure why they couldn't have found someone more universally appealing. Even that old theme park whore herself, Whoopi Goldberg, has oodles more appeal than Martin Short.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

good to see the sign at the transportation center is fixed. Too bad it will be outdated or just patched up again in a few months when they realized that the sign still says Disney MGM studios.

• Minion

Ugh. WDI is so lame when they try to be postmodernist and "yuppie funny" by committee - - Martin Short's Canada sounds like warmed-over Eisner/Katzenberg fare from the 80's. Can't they make something without these stand-up comics or Broadway divas from yesteryear?

They should let Pixar make the park films with imagination, humor, heart and style - - in the Walt Disney tradition.

- - But a big hooray for the wand-be-gone!!!

• Pirate - G'har!

I think, against the crowd, that the Martin Short thing will be good, I just wish some of the easily outdatable references were absent (one of the reasons I hate the GMR). I ashamedly did laugh at many of the gags though. Having said that, I thought Temple of Doom was the best Indy Movie and thought Pirates 3 was amazing...don't trust me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast