Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

7/12: DCA's Zoom Zoom?

More DCA fixes, Subs/Nemo update, Fireworks tweaks, 50th recap, Ward Kimball engine update, More... Discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 7/12: DCA'a Zoom Zoom?

Sweet! I love the new Turtle Talk! I also can't wait until the Ward Kimball is back on track!
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

• Know More Than You Should

Hmmm. Something Gnu is getting into DCA eh? Well that should be interesting. Great update!

• FastPass n00b

Wow, great update, thanks Al.

I like that DCA is getting a makeover, but I just don't understand Matt Ouimet's obsession with Pixar rides. He does everything so well, until it comes to picking themes for new rides. The absolute last thing DCA needs right now is to lose its already thin identity to Pixar. It needs rides that are going to reflect a strong new character and define what the park is and what the overall theme is supposed to be.

I know I might be going out on a limb here, but I feel the best thing for Disneyland/DCA is for Disney to split with Pixar. There's no way they're going to get the same deal that leans so heavily in Disney's favor again, and Pixar is being used as a crutch for Disney animation, so I think the best thing would be for Pixar to become independent. Cars is the final unused Pixar theme so if the deal does fall through, Matt would have no choice but to either come up with some original themes or reuse old Pixar themes that have already been used. Hopefully the Cars attraction will open in DCA before the PeopleMover...I am scared that the PeopleMover makes the perfect basis for a Cars theme.

• The one, the only...

I have to add my 2 cents on the changes to DCA. The Dsiney execs still don't get what is wrong with DCA. It is missing the charm and feeling of Disneyland. They want to make prettier exteriors. Not is not the core problem!

What's forgotten is Walt Disney's design principle from Disneyland: Immerse guests in a different time and place!

Walt did not just make pretty buildings! He designed whole areas or "lands" which surround guests in the atmosphere of a place they have never been. One feels that one has traveled to a DIFFERENT time or DIFFERENT place. For a few moments one really is in Africa or the old west.

For DCA to be successful, they should transport guests to a new time and place. Remodeling the Hollywood back-lot IS needed, but do it so that it truly is a recreation of Hollywood of the 30's or 40's instead of a recreation of a FACADE of a back-lot in Hollywood. Then there will be magic

As to the new attraction, CARS, that is a GREAT idea! DCA needs more E ticket rides. It does not matter if the movie is a success, only if the ride is well designed and exciting. Mr. Toad was not a blockbuster either, but the ride is a classic that actually enhances Mr. Toad reputation, not the other way around. People in SoCal love their cars, since the 50's. It fits the California theme. (BTW, I say make a whole new area of DCA with the 50's theme to go along with the ride. Put in a restaurant too. Then the whole area will enhance the CARS ride.)
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Talking Re: 7/12: DCA'a Zoom Zoom?

Great research Al -

The Test Track based "Cars" E-ticket ride sounds exciting enough to make a big difference at DCA in terms of attendance. As you said, Al, It should help the park to shift away from it's disfunctional California theme as well. Sounds like Matt Ouimet is going to make it happen regardless of whether the Cars film is a big hit or not. Zoom Zoom Zoom!

Hopefully, this also means that the Cars retooling of Autopia is dead. I hate this idea as it would be out of sync with Tomorrowland's theme of the future.

• Pimp my Disneyland!

Thanks for the great update AL!

I personally don't have a problem with the Disney company using Pixar "brands". To me if the movie is good and the ideas behind it produce a stronge ride, then go for it. The movies are, IMO, still Disney movies. Pixar has some great stuff...especially when put up against the Disney produced films of late. Anyway...the Cars idea sounds like it could be cool and add some zip to DCA. Hopefully there isn't a huge height requirement on the ride. A major E ticket for the whole family would go a long way in the park.

The Nemo/Subs attraction is starting to sound like it is shaping up rather well. I am actually very excited about this one as well.

I think the magic tank at Disneyland is nearly full again!!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    Great research Al -

The Test Track based "Cars" E-ticket ride sounds exciting enough to make a big difference at DCA in terms of attendance. As you said, Al, It should help the park to shift away from it's disfunctional California theme as well. Sounds like Matt Ouimet is going to make it happen regardless of whether the Cars film is a big hit or not. Zoom Zoom Zoom!

Hopefully, this also means that the Cars retooling of Autopia is dead. I hate this idea as it would be out of sync with Tomorrowland's theme of the future.
    It's a great way to force a stronger synergy w/ Burbank, make the film work!
    It can only help add to the must-have appeal of a new DCA attraction that actually attracts. Could be a nice indicator that they still have a friend in Pixar: Toy Story 3 and beyond.

Any word *ON* the PM? Will something be mentioned this week? That's still a big "problem" in TL - something needs to be put up on that track...Thanks!

I hope with the retheming of the backlot they also address the problems with the outdoor stairs on the Hyperion theater and the out of the park distractions there. Some kind of wall with a mural could be put up. On the side facing the street they could put some nice advertising or a nice mural there too. I wonder what the plans are for Golden Dreams. How can you fix that? Hopefully they will make it more of an AA show like American Adventure at Epcot.

I am excited for the Cars e-ticket. It sounds like it would be a racing theme with two cars racing each other. That would be fun!

• mannequins man

My biggest problem with DCA was that there is no "center" and no central icon. When you walk into MK - you see the castle and think, ahh, I'm here. When you walk into Epcot and see the sphere, you get the same feel (except I'm over the big Mickey hand and the sign that says "Epcot" - we know its Epcot.) MGM has/had the Chinese Theater, although now its been upstaged by a big Mickey Hat. And Animal Kingdom has the Tree of Life. The central icon has always been the "orienter," in several cases tall enough to see from elsewhere in the park so you are reminded where you are. Unforunately, DCA doesn't have a center - either the big mickey on the roller coaster or the wolf shaped mountain could have been the icon, but neither has a long street leading up to it. Both Universal parks in Orlando have the same problem. When you put water in the center, you can't occupy it like the hub.
    The other main concept behind design problems is - are you an artist first and a business second, or the other way. A business try's to be efficient, fitting as much stuff onto the land as possible. An artist is first concerned with creating a pleasing atmosphere. Disneyland was designed by artists, DCA was designed by developers. As well, the scale of the buildings in Disneyland are all human scale - big warehouses like at MGM or DCA are never pleasing to the human scale, and painting murals on them doesn't really make them smaller. Those are my somewhat randomly organized thoughts for the day, none of which haven't been professed before by other city planners or architect types.

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    What's forgotten is Walt Disney's design principle from Disneyland: Immerse guests in a different time and place!
    Hence my sig line.

LOL, your sig is awesome sediment!

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by InwardSinger
    LOL, your sig is awesome sediment!
    Thanks! But I couldn't have done it without DL and DCA.

i live in New Albany , Indiana across from Louisville,Kentucky

Re: 7/12: DCA's Zoom Zoom?

Great Update Al

AS for DCA ,it just needs to be torned down and rebuilt with better attractions,shops,shows .Hmmm .......they should have stucked with Walt's idea and built a Disney Studio Theme Park.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast