• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

7/13: A Look Back, Part III

Guest columnist Alain Littaye with part three of the series celebrating Disneyland's 50th in publicity photos... discuss it here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: 7/13: A Look Back, Part III

Yep! Uncle Walt had his eyes trained on the Fisneyland railroad. Out of all the other rides, this remained his favorite. He was like an iron horse himself...slow, steady and determined.

I didn't realize that he received the distinguished honor of being the 1966 grand marshall of the Rose Parade. His real life presence was even more magical than Mickey and friends.

• just the beernecessities

Sad Re: 7/13: A Look Back, Part III

Mr. Disney doesn't look so well in that Rose Parade picture. (Who really does look great on New Years morning, anyway?) It makes me wonder when he passed on? I believe it was in 66'....but what day? And what from?

• FastPass n00b

Re: 7/13: A Look Back, Part III

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBaloo
    Mr. Disney doesn't look so well in that Rose Parade picture. (Who really does look great on New Years morning, anyway?) It makes me wonder when he passed on? I believe it was in 66'....but what day? And what from?
    He passed in December of that year actually. His health was failing throughout the year and he collapsed on December 15 due to lung cancer. Like most people of the time, he smoked like crazy and it finally caught up to him in the mid-60's. Most people have this squeaky-clean image of Uncle Walt in their heads, but he was just like every other person. He lost his temper, he drank, he smoked, and cussed (although NEVER around children). It's so sad to have seen him die at such a relatively young age. He had so much more to offer the world and he could've easily lived into the 1980's where he would have finished Florida's Magic Kingdom and the real EPCOT.

Did you guys know he was only 5'6"? I guess it doesn't make any difference whatsoever, but I had no idea he was that short. With a height like that, you'd think it would have been obvious when he was next to people, but I never seemed to notice that he was short. If anything, it just goes to show you that physical stature has absolutely nothing to do with achievement, it sounds obvious but you guys wouldn't believe how many times we base our perceptions on physical stature.