• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

10/1: Ain't That a Kick in the... Rear, Part I

The Disneyland Railroad's caboose isn't as glamorous as the Lilly Belle but it sure is fun, Part One. Discuss Steve's column here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 10/1: Ain't That a Kick in the... Rear, Part I

I remember the day the cupola was sheared off. ... good times.

Thanks for the memory, Steve.

• FastPass n00b

I really wanted to know what it looked like inside. Cabooses are interesting, I never realized that the crew used them so much. I guess it was inevitable that steam had to yield to diesel, but it just takes away so much when you can't hear, smell or feel a train leaving the station or when you're watching it move through the countryside.

They are still amazing to watch and listen to, but not nearly as fascinating as watching a steam train at work. They were as much a part of America as the automobile is today. And who knows, maybe in 100 years from now people will yearn for the "simpler" days of automobile travel. Steam is more fascinating to observe than CO2 and hydrocarbons though.

Talking Re: 10/1: Ain't That a Kick in the... Rear, Part I

Thank you for many historic facts of the "poor mans' car" or caboose!! True,good way to view it as but really,if it were fully open today,that is being able to climb the ladder in the rear and see over the train,it would never be available,except if you made a special request like you do for the lille belle ride or a tender ride aboard locomotive #1 or #2 !! That would be ideal! That is interesting how it had two past incedents nearly destroying the caboose! I would not want to be high up there when struck by a tree and I've seen one fall or at least a branch near autopia not long ago! They had to temporarily shut down the railroad till the track was cleared!
    To make this interesting,from my experience of frequently going to disneyland since 1998,after an unfaithful mate disembarked out of my life, I was really turned on from the firework show,the 45th anniversary"believe...there's magic in the stars"! It was uplifting ,especially when seeing hearts blowing up in the sky and best of all-hearing after a finale,whispered in your ears-"belliiieeevvvee"! My faith has grow since!
    Anyway,so if ya want a ride in the lille belle,just ask at about 12p-4p!! That is when they have extra conductors!
    Sometimes they let you ride the caboose at night! Sometimes they say,there is no lights and for saftey reasons,you can not ride! Heck,tender rides are always available! Sometimes you may have to ride around the park several times so they can take on water or do a blow down,but let the conductor know to hold your spot,next!07 I was told that they used to do some of that in the past with passengers aboard the tender! But not any more due to loud noises and many lawsuits! We are lucky tender rides are available once again! I saw an engineer riding on locomotive #4! It looked like there was a seat there near the tender! But it was recently confirmed that only #1 and #2 take on tender rides! Interestingly,I had a recent ride aboard the tender at knotts berry farm! I made a suggestion that they should do tender rides like disneyland! To my extreme surprise,I was permited! They took a big chance! It is easy to get burned! I was almost able to ring the bell when departing with one foot on the engine and one on the tender! I definitly did not feel safe and another engineer said they can't do that! But I was allowed inside the engine and rode on the tender with no seating there! You have to hold onto something while standing! Right in front of you is closed doors with the fire puffing out the doors,especially when going up a slight hill! I thought I was gonna get cooked! A friend and I were fine! It does not go fast! Maybe 5-10 mph! That place has big trians and a small layout! I hear/ tell that knotts has purchased a former disneland locomotive! I've seen it sitting in the rear on a siding! The engineer says,they have much work to do before getting to that one!07 Disneyland has small trians and a big layout! So one of the engineers said lately,"small layout and small trains"! But I still think the layout at disneyland is much bigger than the one at knotts! It is over a mile! So I hope this information was helpful! In my opinion,you have to go often to learn all the tricks of the trade because just anyone going on any given day could not see it all in one day and would miss out in much! You have to know when to go and how to dodge the crowd! Take advantage of fastpass but watch the return time! For example,it may be 12p! Then without looking at the return time ,you may not be able to get another fastpass until 4p on a busy day! One more fun time! Try going early on new years because sometimes it gets so crowded that they close the park but most often dca is always open! But anyway,the park ,last time I went on new years 2001,was open until 3am! Cool huh?
    Chat again soon and "always believe"!07

• Do You know?

I loved reading the article because it made me remember when my Dad and I were at Disneyland one time he saw the caboose and wondered if anyone can ride in it. Him being such a train freak fan it was a goal to ride in anything to do with a train and the fact that it was at Disney even better.

He sheepishly asked the conductor," How do you get to ride in the caboose?"
    Cast Member," You ask."
    Dad, "Can I please ride in the caboose?"
    CM, " Um, ok. Follow me."

That was a great ride in the back and when we would pass each station I remember getting these looks on peoples faces wondering why we were back there.

I have been draged to many train "experiences" in my life, but that by far was on of the best. My Dad looked like he was about 10 years old again when he first went to Disneyland.

• is too darn hot.

Great article! Now is the plural of caboose "cabooses" or "cabeese?"
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    I really wanted to know what it looked like inside.
    Coming up in Part 2!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Disney1978 View Post
    I have been draged to many train "experiences" in my life, but that by far was on of the best. My Dad looked like he was about 10 years old again when he first went to Disneyland.
    That's a great story!

• -

Thanks for the great article, Steve!

I've had the pleasure of riding in the cupola when I was a Steam Trains CM. Will the inside of the cupola be in part 2?

Can you board the Lilly Belle from any station? Or only Main Street station? (assuming, of course, that the CMs are willing)

Thanks!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by System Error View Post
    Will the inside of the cupola be in part 2?
    We do have a couple shots showing the interior of the cupola, taken from the main passenger compartment.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyfilms View Post
    Can you board the Lilly Belle from any station? Or only Main Street station? (assuming, of course, that the CMs are willing)

Thanks!
    Because an "extra" CM needs to chaperone anyone in the Lilly Belle, the only place you'd find these extra folks would be at Main Street Station. So if you want to ride the LB, MSS would be your best (and probably only) bet.