Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

10/2: Epcot's Silver Anniversary

Kevin recaps the rushed 25th at Epcot, has a food & wine update and more. Discuss it all here.
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: 10/2: Epcot's Silver Anniversary

I'm glad we had other reviews of the event. Kevin, were you even interested with the throw-back concept? You really seem to slam it and the people who were interested in it..

"There was special merchandise, but not a lot of it"

"And there were essentially no other surprises, save for a special fireworks show"

"It goes without saying that Epcot and its rides really mean something to these people."

It seemed like every other sentence ended with a slam of some sorts. Anything constructive was tailed with a slam. Taking writing lessons from Al of late?

I encourage readers to view some other threads on the event

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...5th-79257.html

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ter-79245.html

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...deo-79310.html

I don't understand why people take something positive and slam it for not being something else. There is a difference between wanting more and talking down to people.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    There is a difference between wanting more and talking down to people.
    I agree with you. I have read dozens of reports now from the 25th (here and elsewhere), and while I'm sure many wish Disney execs had planned a huge event well in advance, that didn't happen. That being said, what was put together satisfied a great deal many fans. I regret I did not get to go myself; however, I must say here that this seems a bit like one big slam (sorry), and a real downer. Normally, I enjoy the 'Declining by Degrees' columns, and I appreciate the fact you care enough about the parks to encourage execs to make them better, but this one rings differently with me.
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

It was nice to see the inside of the Wonders of Life pavilion again. And interesting to see that, contrary to popular online belief, the Making of Me theater is still there! I don't understand, though, the painting over of the incredible mural for Body Wars while the BODY WARS sign is still there! Just doesn't make much sense. This pavilion was one of my favorites, and it's sad to see the Cranium Command sign gone. Oh well, at least there's one more place where Disney can do special events . . .

• World Traveler

Thanks for the article Kevin. It was great to read that the VP of Epcot cared about what guests thought.

• missing the DisneyGallery

I'm a little concerned with the titles and subtitles of Kevins articles. Last week he noted that he didnt choose the titles, and that what he generally put was pretty boring. However subtitling positive articles; like was done last week with Should you Reconsider Your Trip to WDW, makes it seem like it is in fact a negative article. Now I know that those in California have nothing positive to say about WDW, but why mess with the integrity of the article by slapping a subtitle that contridicts the message of the whole article. The same can be said with the subtitling of the group of articles by Kevin and Werner which states Almost Just Another Day. I know that the title is meant to denote that TPTB almost did nothing, but my first impression was that this was just another day and there was nothing really of note for interested guests.

When attractions were original

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I'm glad we had other reviews of the event. Kevin, were you even interested with the throw-back concept? You really seem to slam it and the people who were interested in it.
    Oh, I was very interested in it. You didn't quote where I loved the retro music, for instance, or the old guidemaps. I would have wanted even MORE retro stuff, and more merchandise.

As for slamming those into it, far from it. I was among the dozens of people who found myself inexplicably (softly) singing the Energy song. It was really something to become slowly aware that I was not the only one singing it.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Kevin,

I find it funny that you slam Disney for a missed typo on the sign at "National Treasures", yet there are glaring grammatical and format errors in the very same article:

Oddly, this time a single state sponsored a pavilion?Oklahoma.
    A few of you wrote back that you go just such a deal was offered to passholders who visited Guest Relations that night
    The morale of the story seems to be to never write emails.
    Granted, I understand that an article on a website isn't as "critical" as a sign in a theme park, but when you call them out on their formatting, you'd better be sure that yours is spot on. Was it amateur hour at your computer this week?

On a different note, I'm glad I'm not the only that caught the fact that they didn't mention that the waters used in the ceremony weren't actually from the countries, but only represented them.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by SpenceMan01 View Post
    On a different note, I'm glad I'm not the only that caught the fact...
    Hey pot - kettle here - YOU'RE BLACK!!!

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by SpenceMan01 View Post
    I find it funny that you slam Disney for a missed typo on the sign at "National Treasures", yet there are glaring grammatical and format errors in the very same article.
    Hey, the Oklahoma one isn't me; MS-Word converts [space][hyphen][space] into an n-dash (don't ask), which looks great in a word processor but apparently the web server can't handle lately.

The other ones, though, are my fault. Someone else emailed me today with those same ones, and I replied:

1. yes, you're right
    2. hey, I was up until literally 2:45 writing this
    3. I don't charge admission, the way Disney does
    4. I don't have a team, the way Disney's sign shop does

But yes, typos are bad. Normally I wouldn't rush out an article, but timeliness is next to godliness. Unless I've messed up the axiom somehow
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Cast Members around WDW began wearing a new button on Saturday. You'd think it might be the Epcot-25 button, but no such button was created, not even for the actual birthday on October 1st.
    There wasn't a CM button, but there IS an Epcot 25th button handed out to guests at the entrance yesterday, I have one

>>they didn't mention that the waters used in the ceremony weren't actually from the countries, but only represented them.<<

I just finished reading the Ridgway book and seem to recall a similar ceremony at the opening of Epcot mentioned in there. Or was it for one of the water bodies at Magic Kingdom? Or do I have it wrong entirely?

Anyway, it seems like a cool way to flash back on that original ceremony, wherever it was. (We leave for a week at WDW on 10/13/07, and I'm getting more excited than my kids, I think...)

Scott

• May the F=ma be with you

Normally, I don't comment on your articles, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Also, Wonders of Life opened in 1989, not 1985

• Pilot EdForceOne

Here's some videos of the not so inspiring stuff according to Kevin.

I think he's way off from the videos I've seen so far
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3fBoO9aCJU

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=232126
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...and-79389.html

Make sure you seek out some of the threads by other people who actually posted photos of the exclusive stuff as well. There are some great threads on some 'other places' that actually show the Gallery, what it had, etc. Don't let this 'review' of the event snub your interest.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast