Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

7/16: Countdown to Frustration

Sue wonders if the problems for the events on 5/5 and Space Mt. will repeat on the 17th at Disneyland. Discuss it here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Re: 7/16: Countdown to Frustration

I've seen that 'rude' CM before at Innoventions. Let's just say, I'm not suprized.
    -Monorail Man

• Compulsive Map Collector

We had the same experience. We were pushed down twice. They already had jumbo screens set up all over the park, how hard could it have been to broadcast it? I was truly dissapointed in Disney yesterday, and I hope July 17th is nothing like it. If interested, you can view my pictures at www.disneyland50.com

• Mentat

Thank you for the candid account of a not-so-fun experience.

It brings me to a thread a couple of months ago where the price of admission was in question. Wouldn't it be nice to limit the size of crowds with a higher ticket price? I don't think this is elitist in premise-- I do think if it means a lot to someone to be present at DL, they will find a way to afford it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by cbkonczak

It brings me to a thread a couple of months ago where the price of admission was in question. Wouldn't it be nice to limit the size of crowds with a higher ticket price? I don't think this is elitist in premise-- I do think if it means a lot to someone to be present at DL, they will find a way to afford it.
    Probably a valid idea... but lousy PR.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Anyone else getting warm fuzzies about tommorrow?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by cbkonczak

What about that kid who only gets to go there once, coming from another country perhaps? The one with a big family and they can barely afford to feed everyone? Yes, you can blame the family for bad planning, but I personally wouldn't want to deny a child the one chance to go to Disneyland, nor would I tell the child to "wait until you're older".

Crowds do suck, but Disneyland is for everyone.

I usually go to Disneyland in the off-season (now that I have an AP it's a little different), so I usually have a great time at the park. The crowds this summer have been terrible when it comes to the fireworks, but summer is only going to last so long, as will these special fireworks. I'll deal if it means that some kid out there gets to enjoy it too, instead of just people like me who have a continuous chance to see it. And yes, the crowds might bother them too, but I don't think it's fair to tell people "you can't come in" unless the park reaches full capacity.

Plus, now that Space Mountain is back up and running, it's eating a lot of the crowds during the day, and the majority of the lines for attractions aren't bad at all.

As for this article, I was glad the truth was thrown out. Hopefully some people will complain to management and get that nasty CM a talking-to.

• Know More Than You Should

Well all I can say is, I hope It'll be better tomorrow. And indeed I will be among the crowd myself. I only hope some park management is reading this, which they no doubt are.

• Steam is in my blood!

Sad Re: 7/16: Countdown to Frustration

I have encountered that rude cast member as well. I was in the park about two weeks ago for my birthday and was mis-directed (deliberatly-in afterthought) by this "person" while he was working crowd control for the fireworks show. As a result of his untimely and rude efforts, my family and I ended up with about a 5 degree arc of sky to view under the trees near Coke Corner.

I can't begin to express my dissatisfaction with this particular cast member and with the guest relations issue in general. What used to be the "Happiest Place on Earth" is rapidly becoming the "Happiest Cash Cow on Earth."

C'mon, Matt. Step up to the plate. We Disney Kids are waiting!
    Californian by birth, Disney fan by Choice!

This was my experience yesterday, too. Thanks for posting this article, Sue.

This is one of the reasons I'm not going tomorrow—I have very little confidence the day will be geared toward the guests. I don't think it will compare to my memories of the only other anniversary I attended—the 30th.

My suggestion is to have either a media event or a public event; they shouldn't try to do both and please neither. If the event is for the media, they should do it before Park opening—they shouldn't tell guests "Space Mountain’s opening ceremony is at 10:00 am," and then say, “Oh, by the way…none of you are invited.” If the event is for the public, on the other hand, they should make it a big, splashy event, the way they used to in the past. Perhaps if they did, the media might actually cover it—unlike now.

Hey, I was up there on the Innoventions exit ramp as well yesterday during the ceremony. I, too, was appalled at the complete lack of effort made by anyone for the paying customers to see the ceremony. I asked one if the suits where we could see it, and he flaty told me "You can't"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

It would probably be a crowd-control nightmare (even more than it was) were they to try and make it a "public" event. My guess is they opted to make it easy for cameras and reporters that would reach millions rather than fuss with the hassle of accomodating the few interested thousands that were actually in the park. A few jumbotrons would have been nice, though.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• The BAT COMANDER!

It was a very ugly site. I happened to run into one of my friends working "honey i shrunk the audience." and he was directing trafic cause they shut down the show. It was really reciculas when people wake up early and plan ahead to see a little ceremony and dont even get to hear it. I think that tomorrow will be better with all the giant TVs i have seen popping up all around the park.
    One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh, no," I said, "Disneyland burned down."

He cried and cried, but I think that deep down, he thought it was a pretty good joke.

I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.

DEEP THOUGHTS
    by
    Jack Handey

Thank you Sue for going in and seeing for yourself what the average guest has to go through. I was there in the madness on the 5th of May, and because of it I'm not even going to attempt going for awhile. But that was great of you to take such a interest of what we all think. Thank you.

• FastPass n00b

It would seem Disney has learned nothing from its infamous 2003 "Pirates of the Carribbean" premiere. Although they were treating their CMs badly back then, I think it is even worse to treat a paying customer like that. To be fair, no one should be treated like that whether they are paying or being paid. Disneyland is not a press conference hall, but Disney seems to treat it like a PR area with one press event after another. Is THIS what Walt meant when he stated, "Disneyland is your land"!

I totally agree with what another poster said about either having a public event or having a private with the park shut down. Not only does the press-only gatherings clog up vital arteries and shut down attractions, it makes the guest feel less important. The guest should always feel like a *guest*, how are they supposed to feel welcome when they are being kicked out of "press only" areas of the park.

I'm actually shocked that someone as guest sensitive as Matt Ouimet would do such a thing. Granted, the park needs as much press and exposure as it can get (Matt knows this very well) so it can get the funding it so desperately needs. But making a paying customer feel a second-rate citizen, that's taking it a little too far. Also, we must keep in mind that Matt is still learning the ropes and he still has a steep learning curve. We tend to think of him as a seasoned theme park veteran, but the fact is that he's used to dealing with cruise ships, and cruise ships can be emptied before press conferences, unlike Disneyland's 365-days-a-year operation.

Looking at it from Matt's view, you have very little experience actually running a theme park, you have a park that needs funding and several opportunities to get Disney's corporate management interested in it again, and throwing a press conference seems the best way to get people interested. I would say that if City Hall gets flooded with negative feedback about the press event, Matt will most likely change the way he does grand openings. Hopefully, by the time Nemo rolls around, he will have much more experience and we'll all be invited to the grand opening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast