• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Ticketmaster hails ruling protecting consumer's rights for access to event tickets

Federal Court Grants Ticketmaster's Request for Preliminary Injunction Barring RMG Technologies from Facilitating Access to
    Ticketmaster's Ticketing System

Ticketmaster Hails Ruling Protecting Consumers' Rights
    To Fair And Equal Access To Event Tickets

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif., Oct. 15 /PRNewswire/ -- A federal judge in Los Angeles has ordered a Pennsylvania company to stop creating, trafficking in, or facilitating the use of computer programs that allow its clients to circumvent the protection systems in the ticketmaster.com web site.

These programs have, in effect, allowed ticket brokers to cut to the front of the line and deprive consumers of fair access to tickets. The Order issued today by Judge Audrey B. Collins also bars RMGTechnologies, Inc., of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, from using information gained from access of Ticketmaster's website to create computer programs designed to circumvent Ticketmaster's copy protection and website regulation systems. RMG's software allows its clients to buy tickets from Ticketmaster faster than Ticketmaster's human customers can. RMG's clients are ticket brokers or suppliers to ticket brokers who use RMG's software tobuy tickets they can resell to the public at higher prices. Such actions have blocked consumers from getting those tickets at the "face" price shown on the ticket.

Ticketmaster hailed Judge Collins' ruling as a major victory for the ticketing company and for consumers. Ticketmaster President and CEO SeanMoriarty commented after the ruling, "Ticketmaster is committed to ensuring that consumers have fair and equitable access to tickets. Not only are wedoing everything possible to create a secure and positive experience for ticket purchasers, we are making sure that the public knows it can come tothe Ticketmaster web site and access the best available seats at the prices set by the event provider. We will not allow others to illegally divert tickets away from fans. We recognize and respect the necessity and reality of a vibrant resale market, but we will not tolerate those who seek an unfair advantage through the use of automated programs."

Ticketmaster also indicated that Judge Collins' issuing of the preliminary injunction against RMG was only the first step in its legal efforts against those using automated programs to illegally access tickets. "We are pleased with the court's ruling today, and our legal efforts are not stopping here," said Ed Weiss, Ticketmaster General Counsel and a former federal prosecutor. "Anyone using these programs and any company supplying them should know that we and the entire live entertainment industry will not stand for it. We fully support the legitimate reselling of tickets, but those who refuse to follow the rules will be hearing from us."

About Ticketmaster: Ticketmaster is the world's leading ticketing company, operating in 20global markets, providing ticket sales, ticket resale services, marketingand distribution through http://www.ticketmaster.com, one of the largeste-commerce sites on the Internet; approximately 6,500 retail outlets; and20 worldwide call centers. Ticketmaster celebrated its 30th anniversary in2006 and currently serves more than 9,000 clients worldwide across multipleevent categories, providing exclusive ticketing services for hundreds ofleading arenas, stadiums, performing arts venues, museums, and theaters. In2006, the company sold more than 128 million tickets valued at over $7billion on behalf of its clients. Ticketmaster is headquartered in West Hollywood, California and is an operating business of IAC
    SOURCE Ticketmaster

• Geoff London

Re: Ticketmaster hails ruling protecting consumer's rights for access to event ticket

Whilst I agree that we should all have fair pickings at tickets, my beef with ticketmaster is its stranglehold on most events and the fact you have to pay ludicrous handling fees and mailing costs which add to an already expensive night out. (Or that's how it is in the U K - we have to pay $5 for mailing only to have a 70c stamp on the envelope!) Surely they are getting a kick back commission from the venues themselves?

That's why, if I can, I go to the venue / theatre and book direct with them. I realise that isn't always possible for some.
    Last edited by geoffa; 10-16-2007 at 02:59 AM.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Ticketmaster hails ruling protecting consumer's rights for access to event ticket

Well, ticketbastard, er master did something right for a change.

While I agree with geoffa that the ticket master event-fees are ridiculous. I mean, why should I have to pay a $2.50 "Convenience fee" to print out tickets on my own computer.

But I applaud Ticketmaster for taking a stand on this issue. I don't mind ticket vendors going in and getting tickets the same way I do, as long as they play by the rules.

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Such actions have blocked consumers from getting those tickets at the "face" price shown on the ticket.
    When you add in Ticketmaster's fees, nobody pays the face value for the ticket.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

I'd like to know why Ticketmaster didn't do something about this before. I've seen numerous concerts in the past where they have put limits on how many tickets you can purchase, so they have the ability to regulate bulk purchases. Why don't they this more often?
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Banned User

What a bunch of rubbish. Ticketmaster doesn't give a flying squirrel's nuts about fairness or customer rights or anything of the sort. Their only concern is protecting their monopoly and continuing to double the price of tickets through their numerous absurd and expensive fees. If TicketMaster has "Mastered" anything its legal racketeering. Screw 'em.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    I'd like to know why Ticketmaster didn't do something about this before. I've seen numerous concerts in the past where they have put limits on how many tickets you can purchase, so they have the ability to regulate bulk purchases. Why don't they this more often?
    The point here was they were going after companies that were exploiting the system systematically to get around the limitations TM would put in place. Software to automate the interaction of the website.

It's interesting legal presedence for other things as well.. (depending on how the ruling is written). Think of people writing code to pump online voting... contests.. etc.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    My guess is, they DID know about this and really didn't care until a bunch of Soccer Mom's got up-in-arms because they couldn't get their little princesses tickets to Hannah Montana. Can you imagine the stink these spoiled Soon to be "Sweet Sixteen" girls made when mommy couldn't get them tickets?

We were also unable to get tickets, but our daughter was like ... oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    What a bunch of rubbish. Ticketmaster doesn't give a flying squirrel's nuts about fairness or customer rights or anything of the sort. Their only concern is protecting their monopoly and continuing to double the price of tickets through their numerous absurd and expensive fees. If TicketMaster has "Mastered" anything its legal racketeering. Screw 'em.
    Like I said above, I do think they knew what was going on. I'm not one to defend ticketmaster (obviously) but at least for this one issue, they are FINALLY doing something.

Of course, the ticket brokers will find another way around this.

Maybe it's time to back to in-store ticket buying.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Maybe it's time to back to in-store ticket buying.
    The problem is they charge you the same ridiculous fees when you buy them in person from a person. I thought I'd save some money over the summer by going in to a TicketMaster and picking up the tickets there, but of course when all was said and done I ended up paying $50 in "convenience fees" and $10 in "service charges." It's as bad as the surcharges and fees the government charges to get around tax laws.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Yeah, there is NO possible way to pay for the face value
    of the tickets. Not even in person. They always charge
    those preposterous nonsensical "fees". It's the general public
    gets screwed.