Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: 10/18: Elephant Acknowledged

Al's article is icing on this very overwhelming cake that we've been presented with over the last couple of days.

Sure we've known about the plans for months now, thanks to Al, but its hard to believe everything that Al says when plans are so fickle and nothnig has been made official.

But now it's official. We've seen the concept art. This is real.

Thanks, Al for the optimistic, positive, exciting update. Maybe all the nay-sayers on the other boards will finally admit that you've got your stuff down.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Minion

I think the thinking behind the additions to Disneyland was that it was so popular they wanted to add more for the people.

The thinking behind DCA is that it pretty much sucks so they HAVE to do something to make it better.

I agree with you!

A couple of quick thoughts...

1) Does anyone else feel like "Cars Land" is a little boring? Not the attractions, just the name.

2) Would it be possible to add a switching track on the red-car and have a spur that ran to Paradise Pier? Sort of like the beach bus if you will.

3) Why not take the concept of the theme for the main entrance and expand it across the park. As if to say, "This whole park is California through the eyes of Walt." Then you could just make a small tweak to the name of the park and call it "Walt Disney's California Adventures".

Just my two cents.

Excitement abounds!

• Man of Logic and Reason

The thing I love abou the DLR right now is that there is always something new coming. I think we're starting to get a little spoiled because ever since the 50th and Monster's Inc. and the Subs and Midway Mania, and now the rest of DCA and Tomorrowland...it's just so much. That's not even mentioning all the older attractions that recieved updates like Pirates, Mansion and so many Fantasyland rides. It feels like Walt's vision of an always evolving experience and never ending work on the park is really happening (or at least we've been fortunate enough to live in it for a while).

I dont' know how I feel about the Pan Pacific entry area, but it's not that bad. I love the rest of it though, no more stupid Golden Gate bridge.

I also love the idea of a statue of Walt to mirror the one in DL. A younger, more wide eyed Walt and Mickey really seems to transport you to their time so long before the Walt of Disneyland. I'm also excited about the new theatre and all of the vehicles (the Red Car sounds awesome...time to live out my Roger Rabbit fantasies).

The thing I'm the most excited about is probably the Luigi attraction like the flying saucers. I think all of us Disneyphiles who never got to experience the orginal attraction are all geared up for it.

Can't wait until it's all done, I think it will be beautiful.

• Minion

Thank you Al!
    I am as giddy as Lassiter!
    It all sounds very exciting to me. I am so in love with the old Hollywood idea. And the "early"Walt and Mickey elements sound beautiful.
    hooray!
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Dave

Blog Entries

That was a pretty cool suprise putting in the flying Saucers. I agree all the rides seem pretty sweat, but I agree CARSLAND doesn't od ot for me. I think the following neams would be far better:
    1. Route 66, because of the historic California Hwy
    2. Hwy 1, or "Pacific Hwy 1" because it spans California
    3. Hwy 5, When coming to disneyland we would always look for the Matter horn then we knew we had arrived.
    Any other thoughts on another name?
    Dave

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

The "Universal Berry Farm" (a nickname for DCA the old time Imagineers came up with) may finally morph into a Disney quality park that can justify a full price admission on its own merits. Wow.
    A Nickname I gave to DCA several yeras ago was

Disney's
    Univerversal (Studios)
    Mountain (Magic Mountain)
    Berry (Knott's Berry Farm)

Which really exemplifies how rides, districts, entry, layout
    of the entire gate was D.U.M.B.ed down. It's good to FINALLY
    see a lot of the D.U.M.B. going away. BUT Midway Theme
    in Paradise Pier are STILL is the most deplorable theme in ANY
    DISNEY park, worldwide. Thankfully the Little Mermaid area
    will eat eat and replace a good portion of Route 66 . But that
    ENORMOUS HIDEOUS looking coaster and Ferris Wheel are Still
    going to stay virtually unchanged?????????

Why can't they comprehend that the MIDWAY theme is a cop-out,
    inexcusable, and reprehensible. Now is the time to hammer out
    and Bulldoze the mistakes of this park, so now is the time to make
    sure they don't continue with a Horrid idea for another couple decades,
    minimum.

The new entry to DCA sounds interesting, and I like the idea of the
    statue of Walt and Mickey BOTH in their younger days. But it does
    make me wonder, if the New Carthey Circle with be the home of The
    NEW Walt Disner Story ~ will at least one Audio Animatronic be part
    of this "interactive display? And will Both of Walts Offices be on display
    at the Disneyland Resort, once again?

Carland, does sound intreguing, as well. But I certainly hope that
    it isn't a substitution for Western River Expedition. DCA STILL needs
    that quality attraction like Pirates or Haunted Mansion ~ Those attractions
    have that special magic and "heart" largely due to the human looking
    and human size aa's in "Living" (in pirates) and "non-living" (in HM) .
    DCA still needs that kind of Draw! With Western River Expedition, Disney
    could even pay tribute to some of it older classic tv shows and movies!
    Obviously Davy Crockett would be terrific reference, even the old Disney
    Zorro shows, Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin which was set in San Francisco
    gold rush era, which would fit in PERFECTLY with Walt's Hollywood, Walt's
    California, etc. Car's will be interesting BUT it just won't have the HEART
    that some of these WALT CLASSIC's Would have!

I'm glad to hear that DCA is finally getting the up-grades that it so really needed. I'm just sad to see Muppet Vision going ( Yeah, Yeah I'm one of the few people who ACTUALLY likes it.)

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Smile Re: 10/18: Elephant Acknowledged

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    I am most excited about the Flying Saucer attraction. Probably most excited just because it hadn't been mentioned by Al previously so it comes as a big surprise.
    Hmmmm

I am sure that I either read something by Al about a Flying Saucer remake for Tomorrowland (pretty close!) or else I'm sure Al mentioned it at one of the Micechat meets when I was trying to get a little information out of him... He's really nice but if you ask him too many questions he'll tell you "Wait for the update". I don't go to any of the other boards, so I guarantee you I didn't pick it up anywhere else.

• Minion

I agree with Carsland being a funky name. I would like something else also. Can't think of anything right now though...

As for this idea:

Would it be possible to add a switching track on the red-car and have a spur that ran to Paradise Pier? Sort of like the beach bus if you will.
    I think this would be an excellent idea!

Great, great update Al.... each new tidbit of information is like a new topping on this ice cream sundae.

A few questions/thoughts/observations....

1) No word on enhancements to Hyperion? Is this still "unannounced Phase 1?" (like Philharmagic?)

2) Goofy's coaster... just a re-theme to the current outdoor Mulholland Madness cutouts, or are they going to build some type of structure around it so it fills the Victorian/Beer Garden theme of Paradise Pier?

3) I've mentioned this on other threads... but have gotten no response - I'm guessing the Villians make-over to California Screamin' is officially dead?

4) Love the Cars Land additions. I don't mind the name "Cars Land". I have a bigger problem with the name "Radiator Springs Racers" - it seems a bit clunky to me. Disney ride names need to be smooth and easy to remember. I almost think it should be simply called "Cars"... as I'm sure that's how people will be referring to it.... "Have you ridden 'Cars' yet?" Get my drift? I can't see dad telling his kids.. "Let's go for one last ride on "Radiator Springs Racers!" ". How many of us refer to it as "Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters!" Maybe I'm not making sense... but its just a thought.

5) No one has mentioned this... With the turnstiles being moved all the way out to the CALIFORNIA letters, is this going to create some line challenges for people entering the park(s). I realize the opening times are almost always different... but I've seen the lines for DL extending all the way to the letters... Its going to shrink the Esplanade - I'm wondering what the impact of that will be. Don't get me wrong - I'm thrilled with the changes to the entrance to DCA... just wondering what the space repurcussions will be as a result.
    Last edited by a-mad; 10-18-2007 at 02:03 PM.

• Minion

Just remember everyone...there is still a phase 2 that has not been announced yet....these "extra" things may be coming in that.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Hmmmm

I am sure that I either read something by Al about a Flying Saucer remake for Tomorrowland (pretty close!) or else I'm sure Al mentioned it at one of the Micechat meets when I was trying to get a little information out of him... He's really nice but if you ask him too many questions he'll tell you "Wait for the update". I don't go to any of the other boards, so I guarantee you I didn't pick it up anywhere else.
    Yes I do remember that Al mentioned some time ago that there were some plans to put the flying saucers in the Innoventions building. So I guess there we did know from Al that the Imagineers were looking at updating the Flying Saucer technology.

I think the idea of floating hub caps is very creative!
    The Mur

• Yay Mickey!!

This is somewhat related to the topic.

With the Carthay Circle Theater becoming the new weenie for Walt Disney's California Adventure, which is already part of Sunset Blvd. at D-MGM, will the Chinese Theater at D-MGM regain its status of weenie again. I believe it was mentioned earlier that Disney has some licensing issues with the Chinese Theater. Does anyone now for certain?

-Justin

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

Quote Originally Posted by a-mad View Post
    4) Love the Cars Land additions. I don't mind the name "Cars Land". I have a bigger problem with the name "Radiator Springs Racers" - it seems a bit clunky to me. Disney ride names need to be smooth and easy to remember. I almost think it should be simply called "Cars"... as I'm sure that's how people will be referring to it.... "Have you ridden 'Cars' yet?" Get my drift? I can't see dad telling his kids.. "Let's go for one last ride on "Radiator Springs Racers!"
    Whatever they call the land, people will probably refer to it as "Cars Land" anyway, so I have no problem with the name. I figure "Radiator Springs Racers" will wind up being "the Racers".

I'm not sure I can wait until 2012 to ride the new Cars rides!
    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast