Re: 10/18: Elephant Acknowledged

It's all yours.

Right click save as...
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    As a landmark, the Carthay Circle Theater tower isn't exactly the castle at WDW, Hearst Castle, or even the Pasadena City Hall. At least it isn't ugly, though my jaw didn't drop when I saw it in Westwood.
    That's interesting. Carthay Circle Theatre wasn't in Westwood; it was east of La Cienega Park, on San Vincente. I had the opportunity of seeing Gone With the Wind at the Carthay, back in the late sixties, shortly before they tore it down.

It was a magnificent theatre. I can remember this beautiful little seating area upstairs near the restrooms, like something out of the Pastoral sequence of Fantasia, with Roman-esque support columns and twinkly stars on a dark night sky. The slope of the seating area in the balcony was very steep, so that very tall patrons sitting in front of you didn't block your view of the screen. But for a very short little girl, climbing the stairs felt like a trek up the mountain.

They don't make 'em like the Carthay anymore.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    That's interesting. Carthay Circle Theatre wasn't in Westwood; it was east of La Cienega Park, on San Vincente. I had the opportunity of seeing Gone With the Wind at the Carthay, back in the late sixties, shortly before they tore it down. . . .
    Oops. I thought it was that big theater with the tower near the south side of UCLA.
    Please pardon my stupidity and thanks for the correction!

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Oops. I thought it was that big theater with the tower near the south side of UCLA.
    Please pardon my stupidity and thanks for the correction!
    No need to apologize. That theatre does look a great deal like Carthay did. I'm sure the designers were inspired by it.

Seeing the Carthay again in DCA would certainly be terrific. I'm loving the makeover plans for the entrance.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

/\
    The Village and Bruin theaters are still in existence in Westwood.
    Cathay Circle doesn't exist anymore.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    /\
    The Village and Bruin theaters are still in existence in Westwood.
    Cathay Circle doesn't exist anymore.
    I believe my previous post made that clear, when I mentioned seeing GWTW at the Carthay in the late sixties shortly before they tore down the theatre.

Sorry for sounding snippy, but I'm old enough to have been inside the Carthay Theatre and have wonderful memories of it. There's a very ugly modern office building in that location now, which makes me miss the Carthay even more.

It will be terrific to see what the Imagineers on Team Weis can do to honor the Carthay in DCA's makeover.

• Banned User

Al PLEASE tell us that work begins this January and not next fall!

Sounds awesome

• Minion

Time Bomb 1
    Paradise Pier and the surrounding area has been under construction since 2005 so it's had a bit of a head start. The Pier with its richly themed heavy D ticket will be through with construction in July. Actually, it'll be done mainly by April, but there will be tests and previews all the way through July which is when it is tentatively scheduled to open. The surrounding midway with its rethemed games will be open as well. Basically everything between the Carousel and Maliboomer will be finished by next summer. All the additions in the pier will be installed early next year so as to not interrupt the view of that new section. The Sun Wheel is currently scheduled to be completed around this time as well, although construction on it may drag a bit. Mickey's Fun Wheel should be done by the end of 2008 unless the current plans change.
    Time Bomb 2
    The transformation of Sunshine Plaza to Walt Disney Plaza is supposed to get started in fall of next year. Once the temporary entrance is done expect bulldozers to start rolling and construction to be completed on this visually extravagant set-back to the late 20's/early 30's by late 2009 or early 2010. The construction will probably be done in two phases with the front section being done first and then the courtyard with its trolley, restaurants and shops going up after that part is done.
    Time Bomb 3
    The retheming of this section of Paradise Pier and the absorption of Route 66 will start in late 2009 and continue through late 2010 or early 2011 to be finished around the time of the tenth anniversary. The shops and beer garden will layer the area in a bygone era... while "Goofy's Sky School" will stick out, but be a much more immersive and lavishly themed coaster that doesn't resemble the Mulholland Madness kiddie coaster of today. The Maliboomer should be removed around this time and the work on the Orange Stinger and the surrounding area will begin as well.
    Time Bomb 4
    The Little Mermaid attraction and area will start to arise when the Golden Dreams building is removed in early 2009 and the construction of an elaborate show building is constructed. Work on the expanded viewing area should start in late 2008 so that the area will be available for use in late 2009 when "Disney's World of Color" is tentatively scheduled to make its bow.
    Time Bomb 5
    The areas atop where Ariel's Grotto and the surrounding stores should start to see work begin on them in early 2009. The plan is to have construction done by the time DWOC debuts and the lower levels are supposed to get enclosed so as to not get any paying diners wet. This area should be done by late 2009 should no delays come up.
    Time Bomb 6
    The final and largest part of the expansion gets underway in late 2009 when planning for "Cars Land" turns into overdrive. By early 2010 the area will be a hive of activity. The construction walls and signs will point to the great new addition that takes up 20 percent of the park and will change the skyline and theming once done. The area around "Bugs Land" that people see when walking by that exposes the outside of the resort(hotels, power-lines) will disappear by the time this expansion opens up in 2012.
    By the time DCA has its tenth anniversary the entire park will be remade and look brand spanking new... the only thing that won't be open by the tenth will be "Cars Land", but it will be ever-so present... with the construction of those giant mesas looming overhead Disney Geeks/Fans will be running about the new park, most likely with the new name all giddy. Peering over their shoulder at the final jewel, the final present of "Phase One" to be opened in the summer of 2012.
    If by that fall the clicks are starting to edge up to the 9 million mark...

Iger will give the official nod to "Phase Two" and you can expect some form of announcement at the end of that year or the beginning of 2013 talking about even more goodies. John Lasseter and Bob Weis have a few surprises up their sleeves that are expected and at least one that will give the faithful a reason to have faith.
    A LOT of faith...

http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyland255 View Post
    Time Bomb 3
    The shops and beer garden will layer the area in a bygone era... while "Goofy's Sky School" will stick out, but be a much more immersive and lavishly themed coaster that doesn't resemble the Mulholland Madness kiddie coaster of today.

I guess he hasn't seen the concept art...

Quote Originally Posted by BoogaFrito View Post

I guess he hasn't seen the concept art...

Or.... he has seen more than what has been leaked out on the web
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The concept art vehicles don't even look like aeroplanes, they look like mulholland madness vehicles.

• former CM

I was at DCA on Sunday. I'm looking forward to the changes, but as I entered the park I thought, "It looks like they did a very good job with a very limited budget." I hope the improvements are tasteful and (over time) come close to the feeling some of us get when we walk down Main Street. On the Sunset Strip a hotel (formerly called the St. James) showed how cool Art Deco (sp?) architecture can look when lit up at night. I hope their new street and theater top that.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678