Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

10/18: Elephant Acknowledged

What they said they would do to fix California Adventure (DCA), and what they didn't... yet. Discuss it here while I finally get some sleep.
    Last edited by Al Lutz; 10-18-2007 at 06:42 AM.
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• The Fantasyland guy

Re: 10/18: Elephant Acknowledged

Universal Berry Farm no more.

Thanks Al for brining the Town Hall meeting home to us.

I originally was unimpressed, until I realized this is just phase ONE! This is exciting and can't wait for information on future phases that will make DCA a park I can actully bring out of town friends and family to visit.

To be honest, something I found interesting in your article was the fact that Jay sounded like he understood his audience: "Jay surprised the audience by being candid enough to admit... the park lacks enough warmth and emotion to make them want to stay for more than a few hours at a time." Amazing! Maybe he does understand us afterall?

• Just this guy......

AL, thanks keeping us up-to-date. Talk about information overload. I can hardly keep up with all posts and updates.

I think that all of this is very, very great news.

Al, thank you for the update. This truly is an awesome thought when you see everything planned. Then you hear phase 1. Wow, how many other phases will there be? What will be included? Where will people park with the Timon lot being invaded? So many more questions now!

Does anyone have links to pictures of the park overview that was mentioned in the article, or was that pretty much 'you had to be there to see it?'

My big question is (I'm a train buff too) are the streetcars going to actually be on tracks, powered with overhead wires, or just drivable streetcar replicas, but not really railcars?

• World Traveler

Thanks for the information. It all sounds very exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by DizneGreg View Post
    My big question is (I'm a train buff too) are the streetcars going to actually be on tracks, powered with overhead wires, or just drivable streetcar replicas, but not really railcars?
    Well - I looked really close at some of the concept drawings, and they clearly show the streetcars on tracks, with overhead wires powering them. I guess this will be one indication of just how "realistic" they are going to make this - if they do it right, then it will be on tracks with overhead wires. As a fellow train buff, I always felt that one thing the DCA really lacked was a train (I know there are other successful Disney parks that don't have trains (EPCOT, D/MGM) - but a train ride is always something that I enjoy too).

Check out the Concept Art thread in the Disneyland board.

Master Gracey has posted A LOT of detailed artwork

Link
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Parmageddon Jim

Yay!
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• Iron-Clad Allie

HOORAY!!! THIS IS YOUR BEST UPDATE OF ALL TIME AL!!! A special message to the three anti-Disney / anti-DL Resort expansion Anaheim City Council members - UP YOURS!!!

The 200 million dollar Test Track based Cars E-Ticket will be one of the best rides to be found at any park, the world over. The addition of a flying saucer type ride is an awesome pleasant surprise.

The imagineers must be beside themselves with a $100 M investment approved for a massive Little Mermaid ride (featuring omnimovers, all of the songs, and most significant movie scenes). I had earlier stated that I felt Disney had bigger plans for this ride than the initial mach-up included on the last Little Mermaid DVD release. Glad to see this confirmed.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 10-18-2007 at 12:07 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

No more flat wall to hide stuff better good buliding.

we all know that DCA lack something, (the Walt Disney touch)
    WOW this park now will have the light and cameras and action.

We all know what was coming.

Thank you Al Lutz in keep us up-to date.

the master
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    To be honest, something I found interesting in your article was the fact that Jay sounded like he understood his audience: "Jay surprised the audience by being candid enough to admit... the park lacks enough warmth and emotion to make them want to stay for more than a few hours at a time." Amazing! Maybe he does understand us afterall?
    Don't bet on it.

He was telling the news media that this expansion is not out of the ordinary and that it is equivalent to the 1959 additions to Disneyland.

Yeah, right....

.... spoken like a true Disney slimeball.

The expansions Disneyland and the Disney MGM Studios underwent early in their histories were due to the phenomenal success both places enjoyed.

• missing the DisneyGallery

Sounds like DCA is getting a similar look to the Sunset Boulevard of DMGMS. An intersting thing about the Pan Pacific Expo design; The exposition building that DMGM's entrace plaza is modeled after burned down the year that DMGM opened. I hope that wasn't a bad omen.

One thing I noticed in the article was that the statue is described as, "... of a much younger Walt arriving in Los Angeles in the late 1920's"

I think Walt arrived in 1924, so will the architecture match the pre 1924 architecture that Walt would have seen, or will TPTB re-spin history so that everything from the 20's or even the 30's will be present?

When attractions were original

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Not that Al was looking for this, but how very cool that he was COMPLETELY vindicated with his predictions. He took a beating on some of the other Disney boards and the accuracy of his story was even questioned here on Micechat. And what do you know? Wednesday came and here was the big announcement listing all of the changes Al had mentioned previously. Thank you Al for the inside scoop. And how exciting to see that Disney is now attempting to fix the debacle that has been DCA. Ten or fifteen years from now, how fun it will be to tell our friends and family about what DCA USED to look like....back at the turn of the century.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 10-18-2007 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBONICS95 View Post
    Check out the Concept Art thread in the Disneyland board.

Master Gracey has posted A LOT of detailed artwork

Link
    Kudos!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast