• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

The Walt Disney Company Commits $2 Million in Aid for Southern California Wildfire

The Walt Disney Company Press Release

The Walt Disney Company Commits $2 Million in Aid for Southern California Wildfire Victims and Relief Efforts

BURBANK, Calif.--October 24, 2007 --The Walt Disney Company announced today that it will contribute $2 million in aid towards relief efforts for the nearly one million victims of the Southern California wildfires. An initial $200,000 will be donated to the American Red Cross for immediate relief efforts and the remainder will be earmarked for volunteer centers and future rebuilding, including helping to restore Southern California’s natural environment.

"The devastation these fires have brought to the Southern California area is tragic," said Robert A. Iger, president and CEO, The Walt Disney Company. "As a responsible member of the community, The Walt Disney Company hopes that our donation and relief efforts will aid emergency management teams and organizations as they provide assistance to those impacted, as well as bring some hope to those struggling in the aftermath of this disaster."

Disney will also assist those affected by the fires with its volunteer and outreach efforts, including the distribution of care packages at shelters throughout the area for displaced families and, to raise their spirits, Disney characters will visit Qualcomm Stadium and other shelters in San Diego and Orange County this week.

Disneyland Resort plans to host the courageous and dedicated firefighters committed to this effort and their families for a special day of appreciation in the near future.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Re: The Walt Disney Company Commits $2 Million in Aid for Southern California Wildfir

Humm.. I'd like to think that Disney is doing this out of the goodness of thier hearts, but part of me thinks that the housing issue in Anaheim had something to do with this too. Make a good face for the people of the area and the council members against Disney suddenly look like bad guys.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: The Walt Disney Company Commits $2 Million in Aid for Southern California Wildfir

And as a side note, Wal-Mart has donated $1 million to the American Red Cross for Fire Relief.

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. Press Release

Wal-Mart Increases Support to $1 Million to Assist with Wildfire Relief Efforts

Retailer contributes an additional $750,000 to the American Red Cross, continues to donate merchandise and collect customer contributions

Bentonville, Ark., Oct. 24, 2007 – Responding to escalating needs for assistance with relief efforts for the wildfires in Southern California, the Wal-Mart Foundation today announced that it is increasing its cash donation to the American Red Cross to $1 million. The Red Cross confirms that this is the largest contribution they have received to date to provide aid with disaster relief for the fires.

“Yesterday, we donated $250,000 to assist the Red Cross in providing food and shelter,” said Margaret McKenna, president of the Wal-Mart Foundation. “As the fires continue to burn, the needs of those impacted continue to increase. Wal-Mart is committed to supporting and assisting our communities, particularly in these times. As the tragedy in California unfolds, we continue to learn more about the impact on our own customers, associates and the communities where they live. Today, we are donating an additional $750,000 to assist those whose lives have been impacted.”

Since Sunday, the Red Cross has been providing food, shelter, counseling and other assistance to thousands of individuals most critically affected by the fires. Red Cross workers have been assisting these evacuees over the last several days, and the organization is expanding its services rapidly as the needs and changes escalate.

“Wal-Mart has been a longstanding partner of the American Red Cross and has consistently been a leader during times of disaster,” said Mark W. Everson, President and CEO of the American Red Cross. “We are extremely grateful for Wal-Mart’s generous donation in response to the California wildfires, which will play a critical role in enabling the Red Cross to provide life-saving support in the affected communities.”

In addition to the cash contributions from the company’s Foundation, local Wal-Mart stores and Sam’s Clubs in the state of California have responded with donations of water, clothing, blankets and other much-needed merchandise. In total, 20-plus trucks with more than $400,000 worth of merchandise have made deliveries to help with relief efforts. Wal-Mart has also set up collection sites in each of its 208 California-based stores and Sam’s Clubs where customers can make cash donations to help support ongoing relief efforts.

Wal-Mart has long been recognized as a corporate leader in the area of disaster relief. The company in 2005 helped the victims of Hurricane Katrina by donating more than $32 million in cash to aid emergency relief efforts, which included $2 million in contributions to the Red Cross. Last year, Wal-Mart provided more than $2 million in disaster relief funds to assist with everything from floods and tornadoes to wildfires and winter storms nationwide. A long-standing partnership between Wal-Mart and the American Red Cross has made many of these efforts possible.

About Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

Every week, millions of customers visit Wal-Mart Stores, Supercenters, Neighborhood Markets, and Sam’s Club locations across America or log on to its online store at www.walmart.com. The company and its Foundation are committed to a philosophy of giving back locally. Wal-Mart is proud to support the causes that are important to customers and associates right in their own neighborhoods, and last year gave more than $270 million to local communities in the United States. To learn more, visit www.walmartfacts.com, www.walmartstores.com, or www.walmartfoundation.org.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    Humm.. I'd like to think that Disney is doing this out of the goodness of thier hearts, but part of me thinks that the housing issue in Anaheim had something to do with this too. Make a good face for the people of the area and the council members against Disney suddenly look like bad guys.
    I almost feel the same way and unfortunately that is what this zoning issue has caused. Everything that Disney may due for the Resort or Community will always make people wonder if there are other intentions behind their actions.

Either way, I was asking myself if Disney has done anything to help with the fires and I am pleased to know that they are contributing.

A contribution like this always boosts a company's image, no matter what the intentions may be.
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

Will Disney really bring characters out to the evacuation centers as the article says? I hope they do because these displaced families, especially with children, could use an extra smile. I hope they at least visit the major sites like Qualcomm stadium in San Diego.