• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Ratatouille' Director Brad Bird finds Blu-ray delectable

'Ratatouille' Director Brad Bird Finds Blu-ray Delectable

Author: JOHN GAUDIOSI
    HomeMediaRetailing
    Posted: November 1, 2007

Brad Bird, the director of Walt Disney/Pixar’s Ratatouille, heaped praise on the Blu-ray format and what it brings to computer-generated movies during the Blu-ray Disc Festival.

“[Executive producer and Pixar executive] John Lasseter is bursting at the seams over all of the capabilities of Blu-ray Disc,” said Bird during a Q&A with technology journalists from around the world. “We call it film school in a box. If you’re really interested in film like we both were as kids, this format might allow you to bypass film school.”

Bird said he goes back and forth on how much the audience should really know about the making of a movie, pointing out that Steven Spielberg doesn’t do director commentaries. For the Ratatouille disc, however, he did have crews documenting the process from start to finish.

“We caught some unscripted moments that show that movie-making is hard,” said Bird, who doesn’t like when movie studios “fake” making-of special features for movies long after the fact. “At Pixar, we’re dealing with a lot of creative people with a lot of strong opinions and we have conflict and war during production, but they’re good fights.”

Bird said every Pixar film’s creation will be documented by high-definition cameras to take advantage of Blu-ray technology.

A home theater enthusiast, Bid loves the way Blu-ray brings the movie he created into homes.

“If you turn off the lights and watch it on a home theater screen or on a good HDTV, consumers will see the movie the way it was meant to be seen, which is not the case in many movie theaters today,” Bird said. He noted a rip in the print marred a summer theatrical viewing of Spider-Man 3 in Wisconsin on the second day after it opened.

“I’m looking forward to seeing all of the films I’ve yet to see on Blu-ray, as well as classics that I want to experience as they were meant to be played like Laurence of Arabia and Citizen Kane,” he said. “You can watch a film 100 times on Blu-ray and the picture quality will never falter.”

Bird said that he’s sure that his Oscar-winning CGI hit, The Incredibles, will be coming to Blu-ray, but he’s not kept in the loop on exactly what the plans are for all of the films. Pixar fans do get a double feature on Blu-ray with Cars and Ratatouille. And fans will find some new elements in the Blu-ray that didn’t make the theatrical cut because of timing.

“We added little geek stuff like the top tuft of Linguini’s hair blowing in the wind during a motorcycle ride,” Bird said. “John [Lasseter] came up with the idea of having Remy receive a little chef’s hat at the end of the movie and put it on his head in the last scene. I also slipped in extra notes for music for the home audio. If they give me the extra time for Blu-ray, I’m always trying to make the movie better.”
    http://www.homemediamagazine.com/index.cfm?sec_id=2

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: 'Ratatouille' Director Brad Bird finds Blu-ray delectable

GAH!!! now i have to have a bluray player.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Note that everything in the quotes above would apply to HD-DVD as well as Blu-Ray.

I suggest Brad Bird is promoting Blu-Ray as part of his professional obligations (Disney supports Blu-Ray, obviously), and not so much as a matter of his personal opinion.

Also, I'm of the opinion that most DVD 'extras' are unnecessary. Just give me the dang movie. When I buy a set of bedsheets, I don't get a booklet explaining how sheets are made and introducing me to the managers at the factory, nor do I want one.

And don't even get me started on "Interactive Animated Menus!", bullet-pointed on the box as if it somehow improves the experience. The more work they put into the menu, the longer it takes to actually get to what you want. And they often give away key information from the second or third act of the movie in clips or soundbites. (OK, now I'm going off-topic, since this also applies to standard DVDs.)

In summary:

* Brad Bird is promoting Blu-Ray over HD-DVD because he has to.
    * All of Bird's comments above would apply to any hi-def format, not just Blu-Ray.
    * Just give me the movie. Any 'extras' beyond maybe a commentary track are a waste of my time and yours. If you want to put more info on a higher-priced 'special edition', that's fine, but 99 times out of 100 I'll buy the 'standard edition'.

I agree with Mr. Bird with everything he's said. I'm a huge fan of DVDs that give you endless hours of behind the scenes footage, that take you through every step from the script to the release of the film. And I much prefer the Blu-ray over HD DVD, especially since I've already invested in it, and because I believe it delievers the best quality picture, sound and bonuses that's possible. I just can't wait till tomorrow!

I do not own Blu-ray as of yet but there is some validity to what Mr. Bird has said about the benefits of an Hi Def DVD experience.

I had the opportunity to screen Ratatouille at the Pixar Studios in their State of the Art movie theatre. It was presented directly from the digital source. The film itself is an artistic masterpiece, IMO, and the level of detail in the animation is stunning. It did not really hit me how much of a difference it was to see the film in it's true digital form until I saw it at Century Theatres on opening day. It was then that I felt disappointed by the lack of quality these films are presented in in comparison to what I had previously experienced.

Bird claims Blu-ray (HD-DVD's) present the film as it was meant to be seen, just like it is seen by the artists at the studio. If this is truly accurate than just the film experience alone is a high selling point for me.

But I am still holding out until I see the prices drop...
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

Just to be clear, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are two different formats (which give essentially the same result).

Blu-Ray is basically a 'high-definition DVD', but it's not HD-DVD.

Right...

I wrote:

Bird claims Blu-ray (HD-DVD's) present the film as it was meant to be seen, just like it is seen by the artists at the studio.
    I meant HD-DVD as in the general Hi Def format and not the competing "HD-DVD" format.

Sorry, that was a little confusing

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Hit it, Skip!

Aw, man! i wish they'd put the extended cut of the film onto the Regular DVD version, how cool would that be?
    Last edited by IndianaRudison!; 11-05-2007 at 11:45 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Blu-Ray is more advanced than high def dvd. BUT
    this bigger question is what is more affordable at this
    point. High Def DVD have begun appearing at much
    more affordable prices, But Blu Ray is still quite a bit
    more expensive ~ even though it is more advanced,
    it will need to become more affordable to remain
    competitive with HD DVD.

And I do like the extras, behind the scenes, deleted
    scenes and songs, various commentaries, They all
    add value to the dvd and extend repeatability.
    BUT, most of the Games with the dvd's are worthless.

Blog Entries

The only real capability BluRay has over HD-DVD is in capacity, but we've had this conversation in the other thread so I'm not going to retread it.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SimpTwister View Post
    When I buy a set of bedsheets, I don't get a booklet explaining how sheets are made and introducing me to the managers at the factory, nor do I want one.
    Obviously, you're not a sheet snob, as so many of us around here are.

Now if you were to have used "hot dog" instead of "bedsheets," you'd have a very valid point.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Earth Intruder

I just purchased the Blurays of Ratatouille and the Pixar Shorts today.

I first watched the short of "One Man Band" and my jaw absolutely freaking dropped. It looks.... I can't even begin to describe how amazing it looks. There are textures I've never seen before. Wow, just.. wow.

Ratatouille has a really stupid game, but the movie itself is also visually breathtaking. I saw the DVD version last week, and while it looks really good, the Bluray version is a definite step up (I'm running the Bluray (Ps3) via HDMI input into a 50" 1080p LED-DLP set). It sounds fantastic as well, but I don't have the best speakers right now and can't use the subwoofer due to neighbor issues, so it is hard to compare.

Visually though... sorry bluray haters, but you're missing out on the Disney stuff.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Thanks for the info Chernabog!
    I can't wait to experience it in my own home...

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by ROBONICS95 View Post
    Thanks for the info Chernabog!
    I can't wait to experience it in my own home...
    There are a lot of extras on the Ratatouille Bluray too (in the Cinema exploration feature). I'm still trying to see if there's a comparison as to what features are on what disc (and then compared to whatever the heck is on that bonus disc you get at Target).

It seems that there's a lot more on the Bluray special feature wise than the DVD since there's this huge menu, but it is hard to tell without having complete DVD specs to compare it to.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    There are a lot of extras on the Ratatouille Bluray too (in the Cinema exploration feature). I'm still trying to see if there's a comparison as to what features are on what disc (and then compared to whatever the heck is on that bonus disc you get at Target).

It seems that there's a lot more on the Bluray special feature wise than the DVD since there's this huge menu, but it is hard to tell without having complete DVD specs to compare it to.

Having seen both versions, were you able to see the added animation to Ratatouille that Bird had mentioned was available on Blu-ray?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast