Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: 11/6: Where Dreams Are True, Pt. I

Oh yes, I forgot that Splash Mountain was down for a lengthy refurb. And the castle was under the tarps for the annual Christmas makeover, I believe.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Sock Puppet

Did you notice how clean Space Mountain was, compared to the often caked in dirt Anaheim version?

Also, even when crowds are light during the weekday they still do every single show! They don't punish tourists at Tokyo Disney!

I myself was disapointed that the park's were only open until 10pm on the weekends, but the parks being open until 10pm on the weekdays more than made up for it.

DCA closes at 6pm on a weekday, TDS at 10pm. That says a lot!

It is a shame that you did not get to see the Mickey Mouse Revue. When we went in 2005 (I was invited to speak in Tokyo, so I brought my family along), that was one of the attractions that I wanted to be sure to visit. You can tell that the attraction was dated by what I felt was the poor quality of the audio-animatronics and the pre-show film. We were thought the Japanese translations of the songs were funny (but not in an insulting way to the Japanese culture).

Kevin - did you have a chance to sample the food there? My daughters were 5 and 2 at the time and they were very picky eaters... very picky. I remember getting the Japanese version of a hot dog on a stick and it was a rather large beef sausage impaled by a rib bone. Did you bring home any of the food "schwag" that you got when ordering certain meals? The Tokyo Disney resorts really do a fantastic job on them. We have a number of them from our last trip that we use. My youngest daughter loves her clear Donald mug that we got for ordering ice cream.

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Kevin as I've read your articles for a number of years I notice a lot of them were devoted to visiting WDW while with the family. Will you be offering any such comparrisons from your Tokyo Disney Resort trip.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

• Obelix de Gaul

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    I agree. I would have enjoyed a description of Critter Country and Splash Mountain, which is much better than Disneyland's and the Magic Kingdom's in my opinion.
    The Castle is just like WDWs except there was a villains attraction (now closed) inside. Toontown was like DL just reversed.

Critter Country was a thing of beauty. I was expecting Splash to be a WDW clone. How wrong I was! Crittter couintry is divided into two levels. Take the path on your right to go up into the Splash queue. Take the path on the left to the lower level and the rest of Critter Country.

The Splash queue is all inside and HUGE! A Big relief in rainy weather. Boarding is quicker with separate load and unload stations. The attraction is called Splash Mountain but Spritz Mountain would be more accurate. Imagineering developed "splashless" logs for the Japanese. There is a small air/water gun at the bottom of the final hill which gives you a light dusting of moisture but certainly no splash.

I was totally blown away by it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by obelix View Post
    The Castle is just like WDWs except there was a villains attraction (now closed) inside. Toontown was like DL just reversed.

Critter Country was a thing of beauty. I was expecting Splash to be a WDW clone. How wrong I was! Crittter couintry is divided into two levels. Take the path on your right to go up into the Splash queue. Take the path on the left to the lower level and the rest of Critter Country.

The Splash queue is all inside and HUGE! A Big relief in rainy weather. Boarding is quicker with separate load and unload stations. The attraction is called Splash Mountain but Spritz Mountain would be more accurate. Imagineering developed "splashless" logs for the Japanese. There is a small air/water gun at the bottom of the final hill which gives you a light dusting of moisture but certainly no splash.

I was totally blown away by it.
    I think Critter Country is one of, if not the only land that Tokyo Disneyland does the best out of the Magic Kingdoms (not saying a lot since Disneyland is the only other park to have a Critter Country ). But it is very beautiful and lushly themed and my personal favorite land in Tokyo Disneyland. I can forgive the design flaws and outdated looks for the 5 original lands from 1983, but they got everything right for Critter Country since it was built nearly a decade later. Even Toontown is rather neat, being a mirror image of Disneyland's version.

And regarding the wetness factor of Splash Mountain, it depends on the temperature and season. I visited during the hot summer period, and the water jets were definitely turned on to their maximum soaking power. I literally got a face full of water!
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Sock Puppet

Great article, although you didnt include any pics of the castle or Toontown! Looking forward to the DisneySea part

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    Splash was on rehab, alas. I certainly visited ToonTown, but it was pretty similar to CA's version (though painted for once).

I had to choose which pics to include, and the choices were difficult. I had taken over 6,000 photos on the trip, and after a while, I started to forget what I'd selected for miceage already and what not.

Oh, the castle: it was half under a (themed, colored) tarp so those wouldn't have been pretty pics.
    Can we see the other 6,000 photos? lol Please Kevin. I got a cookie.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

• 1stOfficial Rider on Nemo

Great report Kevin, you describe many of the same feelings I had when I visited this summer. I wish you would have been there to experience the Wet and Wild Pirate Night, this was one of my favorite things and something that I think would do well at WDW. Can't wait for Thursday!
    I was in the Magic Kingdom, now I'm in the Carribbean.
    You get something really wicked, when you spend an E-Ticket!

~The Vandals "Pirates Life"

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by ValenciaJoe View Post
    Kevin - did you have a chance to sample the food there? My daughters were 5 and 2 at the time and they were very picky eaters... very picky. I remember getting the Japanese version of a hot dog on a stick and it was a rather large beef sausage impaled by a rib bone. Did you bring home any of the food "schwag" that you got when ordering certain meals? The Tokyo Disney resorts really do a fantastic job on them. We have a number of them from our last trip that we use. My youngest daughter loves her clear Donald mug that we got for ordering ice cream.
    We had a one year old and a four year old, so no 'high culture' food for us. We had almost more success at the udon place in ikspiari than we did inside the park!

That said, I'm adding onigiri to my list of food that I make. I think I'll have a sushi / onigiri / musubi night pretty soon at my house!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Kevin as I've read your articles for a number of years I notice a lot of them were devoted to visiting WDW while with the family. Will you be offering any such comparrisons from your Tokyo Disney Resort trip.
    Good point. That wasn't a main focus of the article (which was submitted as a single article, so I'm not sure which parts have run so far and which haven't). I think there's some talk about toddlers upcoming still in the Thursday part.

Here are some things definitely not in the report:

1. Devon (the four year old) made a strawberry popcorn purchase all by himself in Nihongo-ego (he did the parts in Japanese that he knew)

2. Tyler (the one year old) can sit up, but is antsy, so we didn't take him on most 'sit by yourself' rides, including Pooh

The two kids meant we were tired by 8, so we never stayed til closing. This alters the calculus of 'ride everything' and shifts things to the morning. You have to do that anyway, though, since there are big crowds early on, and the FP runs out early anyway.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Creative Director

Now where is TDLFAN when you need him?

I thought it was funny that he called the parades "cavalcades" (which they are, I suppose) and definitely described them as long and grand, which they are...but that was it. Nothing more? Entertainment, especially parades, is what TDL does best, in my opinion at least.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite View Post
    Now where is TDLFAN when you need him?
    Sorry, I have been busy celebrating a milestone birthday this entire weekend and have not read Kevin's column yet.

• World Traveler

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Sorry, I have been busy celebrating a milestone birthday this entire weekend and have not read Kevin's column yet.
    Oh? Did you just turn 21?

• Drunk On Disney!

OMG that was awesome!!! I can't wait for Thursday!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast