Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

11/6: Where Dreams Are True, Pt. I

Kevin visits the Tokyo Disney Resort, Part One: Tokyo Disneyland - Discuss it here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: 11/6: Where Dreams Are True, Pt. I

Kevin what a nice suprise it was for me to read today's article. Like you I to have just come back from a trip to the Tokyo Disney Resort and shared a lot of the same views as you did, through it was my second trip here. You were right on the money when it came to your views on World Bazaar and I look foward to hearing more about your trip on Thursday

Yay! It's so great to see coverage of Tokyo Disney. So far, your view of the place pretty much matches mine. I would like to mention, though, that the covered World Bazaar area is very reminiscent of a Japanese shopping arcade--a covered street open to pedestrians only. After I encountered a couple of these, I realized that the covered shopping arcade is a very typically Japanese format and in fact seems to evoke a very nostalgic feeling in many Japanese.

• Seasick

I visited the Tokyo resort in 2002 and totally agree with Kevin's assessment. TDL is magnificently executed, but lacks the intimate charm of other Disney parks. It's probably the fault of the wide walkways that I didn't feel immersed in each land, with the exception of Adventureland. In Anaheim, I generally feel immersed.

The crowds did detract from the magic a little. I went in late October, and the place was packed on the Monday, with crowds easing off by Wednesday, which felt a lot better. Yes, Disney parks get crowded, but even at their busiest I've never found the North American parks to feel so packed. The day started with a 30+ minute wait just to get a fastpass for Pooh. I generally had to line up for fastpasses during the day. It was all very manageable, but not as relaxing a visit as I would have liked.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• World Traveler

Thanks for the great article Kevin. Can you also tell us about your adventures in Tokyo itself. I'd love to read your take about transportation and hotels in Tokyo.

• MiceAge Columnist

Part II will mention the misadventures of the hotels and transportation... let me punt until after that comes out

Now, if you want to talk Kyoto and Hiroshima, that won't be in the report, so we'd have to do it here.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

And here I thought we'd actually get a trip report without the word 'outdated' in it-MiceChat's favorite word in the dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    Part II will mention the misadventures of the hotels and transportation... let me punt until after that comes out

Now, if you want to talk Kyoto and Hiroshima, that won't be in the report, so we'd have to do it here.
    Did you get a chance to go to Miyajima while you were in Hiroshima?

• MiceAge Columnist

Miyajima was the original goal (I wanted to see the torii!) but on the trains, we realized we didn't budget the right amount of time. We preferred to get back to Tokyo at a human hour, and we were traveling back that same day. So a slight mixup there. I hear it's gorgeous.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Minion

Can't wait for the next part and your thoughts of Tokyo DisneySea! I agree that World Bazaar is not very attractive compared to the Main Streets, but I thought it was rather elegant. It's not supposed to be a real town, but simply a Victorian era shopping center. Hence why the roof and walls never bothered me. But that entrance area is just too industrial and I too miss the train station.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Obelix de Gaul

Smile Re: 11/6: Where Dreams Are True, Pt. I

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post

Misadventures in transport? No such thing in Tokyo. You just need to realize that the trains are run by three different companies so unlike most cities line transfers may require a special ticket. http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/ is a wonderful resource which helped me a great deal. Tokyo is a fascinating place (think Manhattan on steroids). Despite all the tech they are really sweet people.

I'll let Kevin tell you all about DisneySea but here's a tease Best ride at DisneySea .... NOT Journey to the Center of the Earth. Its actually Stormrider. I'll let Kevin tell you why

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by obelix View Post
    Misadventures in transport? No such thing in Tokyo. You just need to realize that the trains are run by three different companies so unlike most cities line transfers may require a special ticket. http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/ is a wonderful resource which helped me a great deal. Tokyo is a fascinating place (think Manhattan on steroids). Despite all the tech they are really sweet people.

I'll let Kevin tell you all about DisneySea but here's a tease Best ride at DisneySea .... NOT Journey to the Center of the Earth. Its actually Stormrider. I'll let Kevin tell you why
    StormRider? Now I think the attraction is the best of the simulator attractions (certainly better than Star Tours and I prefer it over Soarin'), but I would never place it above Journey to the Center of the Earth or any of the other lavishly themed E-ticket attractions. Don't get me wrong. I think StormRider is a nice E-ticket attraction, but it's not the best in the park for me. But now I'm really interested in what he has to say!

And to expand on my previous post, I think the two parks provide a very nice contrast. Tokyo Disneyland provides a magical and whimsical atmosphere, while Tokyo DisneySea provides an extravagant and romantic atmosphere. Two very different experiences, though I prefer Tokyo DisneySea's breathtaking theming and attention to detail. I'm thankful that the architectural and design flaws of Tokyo Disneyland were corrected for Tokyo DisneySea. The stunningly beautiful MiraCosta framing Mediterranean Harbor as the main entrance far, far makes up for World Bazaar (which is not all that bad in the first place in my opinion).

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Hey Kevin

Glad to read your trip report. Who went with you, what did you think of the food in the parks, and how did you get by with English?

Surprised you featured no pics of the castle or from Critter Country and Toon Town.

Looking forward to your DisneySea report.

Cal

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Hey Kevin

Glad to read your trip report. Who went with you, what did you think of the food in the parks, and how did you get by with English?

Surprised you featured no pics of the castle or from Critter Country and Toon Town.

Looking forward to your DisneySea report.

Cal
    I agree. I would have enjoyed a description of Critter Country and Splash Mountain, which is much better than Disneyland's and the Magic Kingdom's in my opinion.

• MiceAge Columnist

Splash was on rehab, alas. I certainly visited ToonTown, but it was pretty similar to CA's version (though painted for once).

I had to choose which pics to include, and the choices were difficult. I had taken over 6,000 photos on the trip, and after a while, I started to forget what I'd selected for miceage already and what not.

Oh, the castle: it was half under a (themed, colored) tarp so those wouldn't have been pretty pics.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast