Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Blog Entries

Re: 'Pixar Shorts' and 'Ratatouille' on DVD: Where Pixar Went Right and is Going Wron

I liked the Cars movie but I do agree that the story was unoriginal. In fact I'd already seen much of this story when I watched Doc Hollywood years ago. In fact, it was almost the exact same story, just with cars instead of humans and a nascar car instead of a hollywood doctor.

Re: 'Pixar Shorts' and 'Ratatouille' on DVD: Where Pixar Went Right and is Going Wron

I really enjoyed both Ratatouille and Cars. They were very successful.

However, is anyone else a little worried about Wall-E?

If what I hear is true that the majority of the film will contain almost no dialogue, I think the film could be in trouble with its connection with the mass audience.

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    An observation on Wall-E: Anyone concerned that the current trailer for the movie spends more time talking about the Pixar legacy than it does the upcoming release? At the very least, it suggests Wall-E is going to be a tough sell. At worst, there could be some serious quality concerns.
    A few things that I gathered from the first of 2 Wall-E trailers. Yes, the beginning of the trailer spends time reviewing some of the past Pixar releases. This is not a first for Pixar, as with all Pixar movie trailers, they make it a point to let everyone in the audience know just who is the creator of this next big family movie.

Latest Example: A French menu with a list of the previous Pixar favorites.

With an animation market saturated with CG films, it can be difficult for the audience to distinguish between Pixar, Dreamworks, Sony, etc. This is especially true for some of the younger audience. Many times my family members have referred to Shrek, Happy Feet and Surf's Up as a Pixar film.

The Wall E trailer took a different approach and paid tribute to past films with visual art and narrative, where we have normally seen film titles displayed on the screen.

For Pixar geeks, there is a little bit more meaning to this "lunch" story at the beginning of the trailer. Wall E is the last of the very first Pixar stories to be created and shared by the original 'Brain Trust' of Pixar. To say the death of Joe Ranft was devastating for the studio would be an understatement. Wall E was the first idea that Andrew Stanton had created for a movie and it was a favorite of Ranft's.

I see the beginning story as a tribute to that significant lunch that helped generate the ideas for many of the family hits that have been mentioned in this thread as favorites.

I will say that if Ratatouille and Cars drew some concern in the direction that the Pixar Studios are headed; Wall E will be a dramatic departure. It's no secret that this film will feature very little dialogue in the movie. But this Sci-Fi Romance will also feature the first Pixar live action character played by Fred Willard. Wall E himself is more along the lines of a "Chaplin-esque" character in this film. And yes, Ratzenberger, Pixar's good luck charm, will make a cameo.

But if the reviews that have been released so far hold any credibility, it will be safe to say that Pixar continues it's winning streak.
    Last edited by ROBONICS95; 11-12-2007 at 10:13 AM.
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626 View Post
    Seriously? Unoriginal???
    Yes, I do believe Cars' story was rather unoriginal. Don't get me wrong - I really like the movie but to me it just has that cliche "bad boy becomes good" storyline.

• The Happiest Cynic

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    An observation on Wall-E: Anyone concerned that the current trailer for the movie spends more time talking about the Pixar legacy than it does the upcoming release? At the very least, it suggests Wall-E is going to be a tough sell. At worst, there could be some serious quality concerns.

Well, that was a teaser trailer. And yeah, it's evidence that Pixar is getting a little too far up its own rear end in terms of its legacy and importance, but it's just a teaser.

It's also been stated many times on this site and others that the Wall*E story is a seriously hard sell and it's easily the strangest film Pixar has ever produced; I wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing trailers that featured pop songs with short clips from whatever slapstick moments might be in the film. They're not going to sell this one based on the actual story, which is commonplace when a studio spends a lot of money on a creatively risky picture.

• Banned User

Who (source) said Ratatouille might be in the running for best picture?

Nothing is from a true source/insider but there is some buzz about the possibility. The only animated feature to be nominated for Best Picture was Beauty and the Beast. 2 recent films that have come closest to being nominated were Toy Story and Finding Nemo, both Pixar.

Although a few analysts are saying that Ratatouille could be considered, they also feel that voters are bias against animated films which could be the sole purpose for it not making the run.
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• FuseMP

Does anyone know a release date for the Pixar Shorts in the UK?
    CoHost of the Dedicated to DLP Podcast, part of the MiceChat MicePod Network
    www.facebook.com/FuseMP
    www.twitter.com/FuseMP

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I agree with you Dtim. I finally watched Ratatouille a couple of days ago and couldn't connect with the characters at all. It is my least favorite Pixar film.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Earth Intruder

Ratatouille and Cars are tops on the Bluray sales and Ratatouille is top on DVD sales. Really, I don't think they're doing anything "wrong" here.

And you can't love every single Pixar movie. I hated HATED HATED Bug's Life.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Here's a more technical question...

Is there a "play all" feature on the Pixar Shorts dvd? If there isn't, I'll pass. I already own them somewheres.

And why not include the short with Remy and Emille? THAT would be a more complete dvd. Why stop at Lifted??

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Making my own Mousekteers

Here's one thing I've learned about Pixar movies... never trust the teasers. I was panicked about Incredibles, I thought that was the stupidest idea for a movie I'd ever seen. It's my favorite Pixar movie now. Same thing with Cars and Ratatouille. I've come to the point where I just bury my fears, shut my mouth and wait for more info. Even though I do think that the creators of Short Circuit should sue because Wall-E looks just like number 5.
    I've also come to the conclusion that Pixar makes movies to make movies. Not so that they are marketable movies. Really, making Disney market a movie about a Rat cooking was just heartless. I wonder how hard the PR department cried. Hehehe...

In regards to the comments about Ratatouille being unrelatable and uninvolving I think that is just a matter of perspective. If you've ever been a person desperate to live your dreams and totally alienated from everyone around you because they tell you they are impossible you really really relate with Remy. Or if you've ever known someone who is so overwhelmed by life that they can't help themselves you would feel a combination of love and irritation with Linguini. That's what makes art wonderful. It's subjective.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12