Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

11/8: Where Dreams Are True, Pt. II

Kevin visits the Tokyo Disney resort, Part Two: Tokyo DisneySea - I just know you'll want to discuss this one!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: 11/8: Where Dreams Are True, Pt. II

Kevin I look forward to reading more on the propossed book for TDR. Despite it not being writen yet you can count me down as the first person to place a pre order.

Interesting views on TDS by the way I got to admit I shared many of the same views and have writen out about them over the past year on boards like MiceChat. The fact that TDS doesn't offer much that the whole family can enjoy together is one of the biggest flaws in this park. I look at TDS as being a teens and Adult fantasy park, while it snobs the warmth and family fun that the Magic Kingdom style parks do well.

By the way a bit dissapointed you didn't make coment on the stage shows like Big Band Beat, Minnie Oh Minnie, Mystic Rythims or the parades like Halloween or Lend of Mythica. Which I feel are one of the Resorts stronger points.

• Princess Mouse Ears

Great review Kevin! I can't wait to read your Disneyland trip report.
    So many mouse ears, so little time...

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Kevin I look forward to reading more on the propossed book for TDR. Despite it not being writen yet you can count me down as the first person to place a pre order.

Interesting views on TDS by the way I got to admit I shared many of the same views and have writen out about them over the past year on boards like MiceChat. The fact that TDS doesn't offer much that the whole family can enjoy together is one of the biggest flaws in this park. I look at TDS as being a teens and Adult fantasy park, while it snobs the warmth and family fun that the Magic Kingdom style parks do well.

By the way a bit dissapointed you didn't make coment on the stage shows like Big Band Beat, Minnie Oh Minnie, Mystic Rythims or the parades like Halloween or Lend of Mythica. Which I feel are one of the Resorts stronger points.
    Oh, the first draft of the book was done almost right away - I sequestered myself and just wrote, wrote, wrote for a couple of weeks. But any good writer will tell you that writing is not composing... it's RE-writing. And repeat, ad infinitum.

You can't take pictures of Big Band Beat, so I didn't feel I had a lot to say about it. I enjoyed it, though it wasn't as good as Power of BLAST (one of the things I miss most about DCA, and yes I know Aladdin is there now).

Mythica I liked a lot and took plenty of pictures of, but I didn't know what to say about it exactly. 'Good views can be had from every angle' maybe

I did comment somewhere in the articles about the parades being fresh and huge and exciting (and somehow 1980s in their tonality and energy).
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

A very fun read, and great pictures. But I'm left in confusion on one thing - did you really like TDS, Kevin, or not?

hee hee hee

I'm so glad you got to experience what I believe is the greatest Disney park in the world. And, YES, we need a guidebook for it--great idea.

One thing I'd like to see included in the book is a listing of what can be found in each of what I think of as the back-alley hotels. We did some exploring over there and found some wonderful facilities that the Mira Costa was lacking--a real convenience store, a Starbucks, and an affordable buffet, for instance.

Also an explanation of Japanese toilets would be in order.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
    I'm so glad you got to experience what I believe is the greatest Disney park in the world. And, YES, we need a guidebook for it--great idea.

One thing I'd like to see included in the book is a listing of what can be found in each of what I think of as the back-alley hotels. We did some exploring over there and found some wonderful facilities that the Mira Costa was lacking--a real convenience store, a Starbucks, and an affordable buffet, for instance.

Also an explanation of Japanese toilets would be in order.
    both are in the first draft already, trust me (give me Sheraton over Ambassador any day - another thing I learned the hard way). And there is a whole subsection on toilets. And the lack of towels outside of TDR. And so on
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Pathetically Obsessed

This past winter, I was starting my own research on going to TDR and encountered the same problem, Kevin. There are simply no English guide books to visiting TDR. I read and posted to the boards here, and people are generally very helpful (TDLfan instantly comes to mind) , but your proposed book is one I'm VERY anxious to have. So put me next in line behind Malin for that one.

And THANK YOU for your wonderful columns and insights into all things Disney over the years. I've been reading your articles from Day 1.
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

I'm all for transplanting DCA with TDS. Now to find a crane large enough...

Great Column Kevin. So what was the oddest popcorn flavor there?

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: 11/8: Where Dreams Are True, Pt. II

I don't know when I'll need a guide to TDL, but it's nice to know one will be available when I do. I definitely would've liked more DLP information in English before our trip; The Brit's Guide to DLP is merely OK. As much as there are cultural differences between the uSA and France, I'm sure that's nothing compared to Japan.

A biento.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Regarding your comments on the very long line for the Gyoza sausage bun snack in TDL, you may be interested to know that this line intentionally exists by design.

At least at the time the park opened, popularity for the snack throughout the country far exceeded the number of shops selling it, as it was sort of a “fad” snack which had just been imported from China. Thus, it became typical to find any shop selling them had a huge line. It became customary for the long wait for a Gyoza to become part of the experience as it makes getting the thing more rewarding. Remember that the Japanese culture highly values honour and you can understand why this may be – anyone who is to have a chance to have this snack must wait in line for it! In this sense it became an “exclusive” privilege.

So, when TDL opened, this shop was deliberately designed to generate long line-ups. That is why there is only one window and that is why OLC has never put in a second window – it would ruin the experience.

I can’t say that I can identify with this “experience” but then again here in North America a long wait for a ride makes that ride more rewarding in a very similar way.

I have never been to TDL, I just saw this on TV once. At the time, the show which aired said that the line-up was commonly an hour long!
    Visit MouseBits at http://www.mousebits.com for the Internet's largest and most active source of fan-made Disney video and audio multimedia!

• Minion

I agree with most of your comments, Kevin. However, I think you were a bit harsh on Raging Spirits. In my opinion, it improves on the Indiana Jones coaster at Disneyland Paris. On the ride, you pass through arches with fog and also dash over waterfalls with small bursts of fire. These effects are very subtle and often unnoticed, but I feel they make the experience superior and immersive. And I just love the exterior of Raging Spirits. It's very beautiful and elaborate, especially at night. It certainly adds atmosphere to that part of Lost River Delta.

And regarding BraviSEAmo, I just simply love it. I have nothing bad to say about it at all. It has the most emotionally powerful soundtrack for me, and the storyline is simple. Yes, it's a tale of love between two Spirits. It's a bit odd at first, but I enjoyed it immensely. I'm one of the few that prefers it over Fantasmic or IllumiNations.

Oh, and I thought Big Band Beat was a better show than the Power of BLAST, which I didn't really find all that captivating.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Blog Entries

I'm very much looking forward to your book Kevin. I don't know if a trip to Tokyo will ever happen for my family but right now the thought of even trying without going with someone who's been there before is quite scary. So your book could be a lifesend. Like you said, I don't want one with tons of options, I want one telling me the simplest way to get around and through the parks and back home safely. After I've done that then I may start thinking of other options.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    I'm all for transplanting DCA with TDS. Now to find a crane large enough...

Great Column Kevin. So what was the oddest popcorn flavor there?
    I'm such a nerd, I actually wrote down the flavors as we passed them. At Tokyo Disneyland, I’ve seen curry, honey, chocolate, caramel, and soda. At Tokyo DisneySea, varieties include strawberry, black pepper, cappuccino, chocolate, sea salt, and coconut.

I didn't try all of them. Apparently, curry is the best (it also had the longest line).
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

• MiceAge Columnist

Raging Spirits was indeed more themed than DLP's Indy coaster. And I can't say the ride was a waste of my 1.5 minutes (the amount of time it took to stand in the single rider line). But if I had to wait in the 65-minute standby line, I'd have come out 'postal', looking like Mickey's Runaway Brain.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast