• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Enchanted' princess steps out of cartoon, into Manhattan

'Enchanted' princess steps out of cartoon, into Manhattan

By Susan Wloszczyna
    USA TODAY
    November 15, 2007

Making the leap from "once upon a time" to "happily ever after" is hardly a waltz in the park for the average Disney fairy-tale heroine.

Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty had to endure jealous crones, clingy animal sidekicks and gnarled little men in their quest for everlasting love.

But Enchanted's Giselle has a few more pressing matters to overcome including homelessness as the strawberry-blond princess is rudely shoved out of her animated Eden and into the live-action chaos of modern-day Manhattan.

Cinderella never had to fret about tripping on her ballgown. The artists took care of that. But Amy Adams, the supporting-Oscar nominee from 2005's Junebug who brings Giselle to life in the romantic comedy opening Wednesday, wasn't as lucky. She wrestled with a wedding dress that enveloped her like a silk-and-organza nuclear explosion while negotiating the hustle and bustle of Times Square.

"It's definitely heavier than you think," says Adams, 33, who took more than a few tumbles in her 45-pound costume, causing her to half-jokingly refer to director Kevin Lima as "the Marquis de Sade." Giselle also has to bear the weight of both sending up and celebrating Disney's 2-D animation, a tradition that has been on the brink of extinction until recently.

The masterminds behind the PG-rated Enchanted have set out to invent a new studio classic, one that not only recalls the cartoon wonders of Uncle Walt's golden age but also such later landmarks as 1964's Mary Poppins (that's Julie Andrews narrating at the start and finish) and 1988's Who Framed Roger Rabbit (a similar groundbreaker).

Says Lima, who has done animation (1999's Tarzan) as well as live action (2000's 102 Dalmatians) for the studio: "Shrek tends to beat up on Disney, but this is just the opposite. The ideas behind the fairy-tale movies might be somewhat antiquated, but put into the real world, they don't have to be cynical. They can still have that same joy."

What follows is the story of the key talents behind the birth of a postmodern princess, one who might help the Magic Kingdom rediscover its old-fashioned knack for enchanting audiences.
    Full article at:
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...terstitialskip

• Banned User

Re: 'Enchanted' princess steps out of cartoon, into Manhattan

And if the reviews are good, and the box office is boffo...

Welcome to the Princess family, Giselle.

• Banned User

she's already being welcomed. the disney marketing machine has made sure of that.

• Minion

ORWEN: Oh, I just can't wait to meet Giselle in person the next time I go to a Disney theme park near me. I'm just so SURE we'll become the best of friends. We're going to swap stories about the many gorgeous princes in our lives and also trade beauty secrets. I think I'll even bring her a box of Krispy Kreme's as a first time get together gift!!!

ORGOCH: Plannin' ta make her baloon up ta YER size right away, is ya, sister? I'm sure she'll wanna' be warned 'bout ya befer she has ta meet ya. I best send a carrier bat ahead with a note tellin' the poor prissy thing what yer like so's she can be sure ta hide herself from all that dang sugar 'n cal'ries!!!

• Banned User

from what I have seen and heard so far, I think giselle will make the perfect disney princess. and the evil queen will make the perfect addition to the villians franchise.

• Banned User

Tonight myself, the wifey, and the kids are heading out to check this movie out.
    Word though is that the Goofy toon is NOT being shown before the movie...and I won't see the horrible National Treasure 2 just to see Goofy...although, I could leave after the toon...hmmm

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Interesting. I talked to my 9 year old son and he actually wants to see this movie which shocked me because he is in that phase that 9 year old boys go through -- he is absolutely mortified that there is going to be a Little Mermaid Ride in DCA.

But I think its because they have wisely marketed it to this demographic as well -- he always busts up laughing at the scene in the commercial where Prince Edward gets knocked over by the bike riders in Central Park.

Advertising like that is brilliant to get young boys to want to go see a movie that may risk being marketed towards girls only.