• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Ratatouille': Nose on the Prize, but which Oscar to Sniff?

Nose on the Prize, but Which Oscar to Sniff?

Walt Disney Pictures and Pixar Animation Studios
    Remy and Linguini in “Ratatouille.”

By MICHAEL CIEPLY
    The New York Times
    Published: November 28, 2007

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 27 — Eddie Valiant, the hard-nosed private eye played by Bob Hoskins in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit,"wasn’t about to fiddle with animation. “Forget it,” he said. “I don’t work Toontown.”

Now the makers of "Ratatouille" are about to find out if Valiant also speaks for the movie academy in Hollywood.

As the awards season heats up, the Walt Disney Company and its Pixar Animation Studios unit have been wrestling with a conundrum posed by their warmly received, computer-animated fable about a rat who aspires to become a Parisian chef: Any move to promote it as the year’s best picture might lead to ballot-splitting that would diminish its chances of getting the less prestigious but more easily won Oscar for best animated film.

More than a technical issue, the dilemma goes to the heart of Hollywood’s evolving attitude toward animated movies. Only one, "Beauty and the Beast," also from Disney, has ever been nominated for best picture by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (It lost in 1992 to "The Silence of the Lambs.") In 2002 "Shrek" became the first winner of an Oscar for best animated feature.
    Disney executives declined to discuss their award-season strategy for “Ratatouille.” But early indications show the studio walking an awkward line between reaching for the big prize and pointing voters toward the smaller one.

A two-page advertisement in Monday’s Daily Variety, for instance, described “Ratatouille” as “the best-reviewed film of the year ... around the world.” But it modestly offered the picture “pour votre considération” only as best animated feature, while also mentioning the screenwriter and director Brad Bird.
    Don Hahn, who produced “Beauty and the Beast” for Disney, meanwhile acknowledged that his own film might not have entered the record books with a best-picture nomination if the animated category had existed at the time.

“I hate to think that,” said Mr. Hahn, an executive vice president for Disney’s animation unit. “But as a voter, you tend to categorize animation as a genre as opposed to a technique.”

An admirer of “Ratatouille,” Mr. Hahn said he would be pleased to see that picture and its producer, Brad Lewis, end his own status as the only producer whose film was nominated for more than Toontown honors. “I absolutely want some company,” he said.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/28/mo...es&oref=slogin

Re: 'Ratatouille': Nose on the Prize, but which Oscar to Sniff?

They can't nominate the film for both categories?

Blog Entries

They can but they're afraid that if they do that some people might vote for it for best picture but then vote for something else for best animated feature. I don't quite understand that philosophy. If a film is the best picture and its also animated then it should also be the best animated feature, but voters have very strange voting habits.

• Making my own Mousekteers

I say, go for broke Disney. I absolutly hate the way elitists dismiss animation as though it were a child's medium. Incredibles was the best action hero movie I've ever seen.... it made people that make Bond movies jealous that they didn't think of it first. Ellen's voice work in Nemo was some of the best work in it's year and yet no one even considers it valid enough to nominate. I want Disney to use it's clout and push Ratatouille like there is no tomorrow!!!

• Banned User

Disney-Pixar movies are completely under-rated by these Hollywood types and people in general. Incredibles, Finding Nemo, and Ratatouille are among Pixar's finest and surpass any animated feature that has been made in the past few years. Disney and Pixar define animation.

I can not believe to this day that the best picture award went to Silence of the Lambs instead of Beauty and the Beast. I mean come on! It shows you how much animation is frowned upon by the academy. I guess it still is.

• Minion

ORGOCH: Yeah, anybody out there remember how Sally Fieldmouse went 'n got her hair in a rat's nest over Booty & the Beat bein' nominated fer Best Picture that year? How she went 'n made a fool outta her dang self by standin' up there on the stage, sayin' a bunch a nonsense 'bout how toons don't deserve the same breaks all them live action goomers gits? The silly sap sure has fallen out a the sky ever since she traded one habit fer a worse one. Always knew she was the original flyin' nut!!!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    I can not believe to this day that the best picture award went to Silence of the Lambs instead of Beauty and the Beast. I mean come on! It shows you how much animation is frowned upon by the academy. I guess it still is.
    It's hardly frowned upon they created a category for Best Animated Feature Film of the Year, 'The Incredibles' won the Oscar in 2004.

'Silence of the Lambs' probably won that year for a few reasons. The Acting branch of the AMPAS votes on it's choices for nominees. All branches of the Academy vote on Best Picture. Once the film received nominations in all major categories (and won in most of them as well) it was pretty much a done deal.

The groundbreaking Best Picture nomination for 'Beauty and the Beast' remains a huge compliment and opened the doors for other outstanding Animated films to recognized.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    It's hardly frowned upon they created a category for Best Animated Feature Film of the Year, 'The Incredibles' won the Oscar in 2004.

'Silence of the Lambs' probably won that year for a few reasons. The Acting branch of the AMPAS votes on it's choices for nominees. All branches of the Academy vote on Best Picture. Once the film received nominations in all major categories (and won in most of them as well) it was pretty much a done deal.

The groundbreaking Best Picture nomination for 'Beauty and the Beast' remains a huge compliment and opened the doors for other outstanding Animated films to recognized.
    It's good that they finally made a category for specifically animated films, but it just goes to show how little credit is attributed to them-that they apparently cannot compete with live-action films.

Which also brings into question the actors that lend their voices for these characters. They do some wonderful work-there are so many levels of acting, and having to perform strictly from your voice requires a special amount of skill. But no, those in Hollywood would rather see so many of these actors' unemotional faces as compared to appreciating what a voice/character-actor lends to merge with the talents of great animators. Maybe these actors deserve their own category, too-but maybe going alongside those that animate their characters?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I'm only aware of one "special" award that the Academy gave
    for vocal perfomance, and the award was NOT an Oscar, it
    was a framed certificate.

It went to Robin Williams for the voice of the Genie in "Aladdin".
    Even Robin joked about the award Not being an Oscar statue.

I feel "Oscars" to vocals on animated features should be
    more restricted than to animated features. Some years
    vocal awards just don't seem worthy of anyone. But
    among some of my favorites over the years, and the ones
    that SHOULD HAVE been recognized:

Eartha Kitt as Yzma should have won in "The Emperors New Groove"

Jeremy Irons as Scar should have won in "The Lion King"
    and Nathan Lane should have been a nominiee as "Timon"

James Woods as Hades should have won in "Hercules"

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Agreed with all of the above, all great contributions and performances.

December 3, 2007: Annie Award nominations announced

I'm pulling for Lou Romano & Patton Oswalt to share the award for 'Ratatouille', and for the entire team as well in all categories!
    http://louromano.blogspot.com/
    http://www.pattonoswalt.com/

Many of our favorites from this year's releases should be recognized with nominations in the Individual Achievement Categories:
    http://www.annieawards.org/

I understand that it's sort of an honor to have an animation catagory but at the same time I feel that it's allowed the academy to buttonhole animated films. It segregates them into their own catagory. Hence the problem with vote splitting. Incredibles was the best reviewed movie in it's year and there wasn't even a campaign for it. Members of the academy dismiss animation from consideration for best picture because they can just give it the secondary award of best animated feature. Overall I think it's hurt animation more than it's helped it.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post
    Incredibles was the best reviewed movie in it's year and there wasn't even a campaign for it.
    That is more than a little misleading.

I remember seeing a number of For Your Consideration ads in the industry trades at the time for the film, it was reported as part of an overall story in the Los Angeles Times as well:
    DreamWorks will campaign for Shrek 2 and Collateral; Universal for Ray, a Ray Charles biopic; Paramount for Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, which stars Jim Carrey and Melbourne teenager Emily Browning, opening here mid-December, and The Manchurian Candidate; and Disney for the Pixar animation extravaganza The Incredibles. Other films in contention are The Motorcycle Diaries and Fahrenheit 9/11.
    http://www.theage.com.au/news/Film/N...?from=storyrhs
    Last edited by ALIASd; 12-04-2007 at 08:59 AM.

According to the collective rankings on MetaCritic. Incredibles was the highest ranked. MetaCritic takes every proffesional review and adds them together to create a ranking for movies.