Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

'Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End' Makes its DVD Debut

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END (2007)
    Starring Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley and Chow Yun-Fat
    Directed by Gore Verbinski
    Rates PG-13 for Intense Sequences of Action/Adventure, Violence and Some Frightening Images

Riding the crest of a $961 million worldwide box office wave, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End arrives on DVD in stores Tuesday. In case you've been under a rock (maybe a crab) for the last six months, or stranded in the surreal void of Davy Jones' locker, you may not be familiar with the final(?) chapter in the saga of Captain Jack Sparrow and company. Please refer to MiceChat's take on the fantasy epic here, or read my personal review of the movie here.

Now that we've dispensed with formalities, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End on DVD is every bit as big and bombastic as it was in theaters. The emphasis is on special effects spectacle as Jack, Will, Elizabeth and Hector (Barbossa) join forces, split up, go their own ways, double cross and reunite (rinse, repeat) on a convoluted course leading to a final showdown with the slimy Davy Jones and the weaselly Lord Beckett of the East India Trading Company. But wait, isn't Jack dead? Didn't Barbossa meet a similar fate in the first Pirates movie? Why is Keith Richards, who should've been dead years ago, playing guitar? Does it make sense? Does it matter? Not really. But darned if At World's End, for all its overwrought excess, isn't a glorious hoot from start to finish . . . assuming you've paid attention and have already seen the first two movies of the trilogy.

Don't waste your time with the single disc version of the DVD. The real treasure's to be found in the 2-Disc Collector's Edition (or the Blue-ray 2-disc release for you hi-def types) which includes over 2 hours of bonus features. Tops among them is "Anatomy of a Scene: The Maelstrom," a behind the scenes look at the climactic sea battle between The Black Pearl and The Flying Dutchman. It's a marvel to see the enormous soundstage where the scene was primarily filmed. It's also impressive to see just how much of the scene was real and not just post-production trickery. Blu-ray viewers can delve even deeper with "Enter the Maelstrom" an interactive look at the evolution of the scene hosted by producer Jerry Bruckheimer.

Other noteworthy features include "Tale of the Many Jacks," which details how Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow ended up literally beside himself while filming the Davy Jones' locker segment. Also good fun are "Keith & the Captain," about Keith Richards' turn as the Brethren Court's "keeper of the Code" Captain Teague and "The World of Chow Yun-Fat," which spotlight's the Chinese star's role as the notorious pirate Sao Feng. Both of these features make you wish you could've seen a little more of Richards and Chow in the film.

The complete list of bonus features, courtesy of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment:

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD’S END
    2-Disc Disney DVD Bonus Materials

DISC 1
    • Feature Film Presentation
    Bloopers of the Caribbean – hilarious outtakes of cast and crew

DISC 2
    Anatomy of a Scene: The Maelstrom – a detailed breakdown of one of cinema’s most complex and impressive action set pieces
    Keith & the Captain– A revealing look at the dynamic relationship between living legends Keith Richards and Johnny Depp
    Tale of the Multiple Jacks – an in-depth look at the mind-blowing FX that went into creating multiple Captain Jacks
    Hoist the Colors – reveals the inspiration for the “Hoist the Colors” original composition
    Masters of Design – five individual documentaries highlighting the talented design teams behind this immense production
    o #1: Jim Byrkit and The Map
    o #2: Crash McCreary and the Krusty Pirates
    o #3: Rick Heinrichs and the Singapore Set
    o #4: Penny Rose and the Captain Teague Costumes
    o #5: Chris Peck and the Pirate Code Book
    Inside the Brethren Court – a closer look at the legendary Pirate Lords and their costume designs, origins and unique personalities
    The Pirate Code: Revealed – explores the pirate code and the history of piracy
    The World of Chow Yun Fat – a look at the man behind devious Captain Sao Feng, international sensation Chow Yun Fat, and his meteoric rise to fame
    The Pirate Maestro: The Music of Hans Zimmer – meet the renowned composer who created the film’s rousing score

Blu-ray 2-Disc Bonus Materials

DISC 1
    • Jolly Roger Host – BD-Java Exclusive

DISC 2
    Enter the Maelstrom – BD-Java Exclusive
    All Standard DVD Bonus Content – available in high-definition

Single Disc Disney DVD Bonus Materials

DISC 1
    • Feature Audio Commentary
    • Bloopers of the Caribbean
    Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End is a must for your DVD Christmas list.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: 'Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End' Makes its DVD Debut

Just got back from Best Buy to pick up my copy of At World's End.... but what is this? No audio commentary? Are you kidding me?!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Earth Intruder

^^ Somethings strange about that. Why would there be audio commentary ONLY on the 1-disc DVD version? Maybe it isn't listed correctly.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I hope it's only an error!!!! why would i not want audio commentary if i'm paying extra for goodies!!!!

If disc 1 has the bloopers then it only seems right that they're producing the same disc 1 for both options.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

There is no audio commentary on the 2-disc version. To my knowledge, despite Disney's statement to the contrary, there's no commentary on the single disc either.

• Shenanigans.

I dislike Disney for choosing Blu-ray. Now I don't know what version to get since I do not have a BR player but will in the future. I guess the right thing to do is wait, never seen the movie, so it is not ideal to continue to wait, oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I miss David.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Just got back from Best Buy to pick up my copy of At World's End.... but what is this? No audio commentary? Are you kidding me?!
    I'm trying to decide between, Circuit city (much easier access in and out) and Best Buy. I'm getting the 2pc set, I love extras for PotC. But Best buy is offering a "45 minute bonus disk"? what's up with that? Is it worth it for me to go through the extra traffic?

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    I'm trying to decide between, Circuit city (much easier access in and out) and Best Buy. I'm getting the 2pc set, I love extras for PotC. But Best buy is offering a "45 minute bonus disk"? what's up with that? Is it worth it for me to go through the extra traffic?
    From the back of the Best Buy bonus disk
    Bonus Features Include

*Pirates of the Salt Flats
    *The return of the Dutchman
    *Acting Below the surface
    *Destroying the Endeavor
    *From wax to Will- Orlando & Madame Tussauds
    *World's End/Worlds Premieres

Running time 45 min
    Last edited by samsma; 12-04-2007 at 12:38 PM.

• Minion

I'm so bummed about there NOT being a commentary Track.

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by samsma View Post
    From the back of the Best Buy bonus disk
    Bonus Features Include

*Pirates of the Salt Flats
    *The return of the Dutchman
    *Acting Below the surface
    *Destroying the Endeavor
    *From wax to Will- Orlando & Madame Tussauds
    *World's End/Worlds Premieres

Running time 45 min
    I'm sure they are out by now anyway and I won't be there until about 4:20 today. So I guess it's be Circuit City.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    I'm sure they are out by now anyway and I won't be there until about 4:20 today. So I guess it's be Circuit City.
    I would not bet on it, we got a TON of them - heck, we still have some left over from POTC2 still lol.

Circuit City has the visual guide, I took a look at it this morning and it was a nice little book packed with lots of info on the characters and stuff like that. The only thing I did not like about the book is the writing is so small and hard to read - I could not read it with my eyes. So if you do not care about the special features on teh Best Buy disc then this is a good option - if you can read the words. And BB will match the CC price, so save yourself the $1 if you are getting it from BB (take along th CC ad with you).

I picked up the Blu-ray version first thing this morning at the picture and sound are AMAZING. I could not be any more happy with this

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    I'm so bummed about there NOT being a commentary Track.
    If it's any consolation, Gore Verbinski does commentary on deleted scenes on Disc 2. Go figure.

I also found five "Easter eggs" on Disc 2:

Spoiler
    Some of the menus have dots that appear at the bottom of the screen when you scroll past them or pass your mouse over them. Select them to view these features:

Main Menu 1, bottom left - Simon Phillips, former drummer for Toto and The Who, among many others, lays down tracks for a portion of the POTC soundtrack. Composer Hans Zimmer provides commentary. Speaking of which, don't miss "The Pirate Maestro: The Music of Hans Zimmer" feature on Disc 2.

Main Menu 1, bottom right - "In Search of the Perfect Peanut." It's harder than you think to find the perfect on-camera peanut. Even harder to try to eat it with a fork, as Johnny Depp proves.

Main Menu 2 - Raw footage and early CGI of the voyage through the ice cave on the way to World's End.

Deleted Scenes - A quick look at Martin Klebba's (Pirate Marty's) custom vehicles. His Black Pearl chopper is sweet.

Masters of Design - See the Singapore set constructed on a soundstage in time lapse photography.

I think that's all of them. Let me know if you find more.
    Last edited by disneytim; 12-04-2007 at 01:49 PM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Thanks Tim!

BTW - Who doesn't think that once this "Limited Edition" intitial release of 'POTC: AWE' hits the Vault (or Locker as it were) that the far-grander multi-disc 'POTC' trilogy down-the-road won't feature wonderful audio and/or visual commentaries among other bonus features and merchandising?
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    BTW - Who doesn't think that once this "Limited Edition" intitial release of 'POTC: AWE' hits the Vault (or Locker as it were) that the far-grander multi-disc 'POTC' trilogy down-the-road won't feature wonderful audio and/or visual commentaries among other bonus features and merchandising?

The real question would be if Bruckheimer and company did in fact RECORD an audio commentary for the third film. Normally they do it shortly after the film's release. Does anyone have the scoop on that?

ALIASd, if you could find out that would be awesome.

But like all trilogies, I'm sure a big massive set would come out again with even more goodies to upset those who already own it.

Speaking of, I'm still waiting for the 2disc Lilo & Stitch they promised years ago.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    But like all trilogies, I'm sure a big massive set would come out again with even more goodies to upset those who already own it.
    Oh ya - count on it. I would only be upset if there was extra movie footage added on since I would not buy it again just for more special features. So I think I am ok *crosses fingers*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast