Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

It's a Tech World After All: disneytim at the 2008 Consumer Electronics Show

The 2008 International Consumer Electronics Show kicks off on Monday in Las Vegas with nearly 150,000 attendees from over 140 countries showcasing the latest developments in the consumer electronics industry. HDTV's, high-end audio and video, telecommunications, handheld technology, digital imaging, Wi-Fi and content, content, content is all represented in the biggest tradeshow of its kind.

For the second year in a row, I'll be covering CES for MiceChat and taking a look at what's hot, what's interesting and what's just a bit silly. There'll be lots of pics, a little video and, hopefully, an interview or two with people in-the-know in consumer electronics. Disney Online is here, and I'll be talking to them later this week for the latest developments in their online gaming projects including the recently released Pirates of the Caribbean Online.

Today and tomorrow, I'll get a sneak peek at what's in store this week as exhibitors start showing off their wares to the press.

There's a lot more to come, so stay tuned . . . .

(Doncha hate it when someone starts a thread without really telling or showing you anything? )

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: It's a Tech World After All: disneytim at the 2008 Consumer Electronics Show

Last night was CES Unveiled, a press preview event at the Sands Expo and Convention Center. I call it CES Lite, as it's an opportunity to meet with a few dozen vendors in a more intimate setting rather than take on the more than 2,600 exhibitors spread out over multiple Las Vegas facilities starting Monday.

A few larger companies were there (Samsung, LG), but the fun of CES Unveiled is seeing the minor players with the quirky items that might otherwise get lost in the crush of humanity coming this week.

So yeah, Samsung might be showing off their latest line of mobile phones . . .

. . . but how cool is it to see a remote control beer cooler from Interactive Toy Concepts?

There was plenty of serious technology of course. Take a look at this mother of all home entertainment component systems from SE2 Labs:

The ITC One is an all-in-one modular system you can customize with your favorite video game system and DVR, with input/output jacks for your HDTV, standard or hi-def DVD, digital projector and speakers. It's other components include an AMX Netlinx Control System, High-End Digital Surround Processor, Bryston Pre-Amp Processor with full digital outputs, IcePower High-End D-Class Amplifiers, High-End Video Processor, Front Touchpanel Screen and an Apple Video iPod with Dock.

The ITC One is a Best of Innovations winner for Integrated Home Systems at this year's CES. Currently available from professional installers only, it sells for a cool $24,995.

Hey, it's not like it costs 25 grand.

In the "stuff you can actually afford" category are these clock radio/CD players, some with iPod docking stations, from Sonoro, a European company making it's U.S. debut at CES

Beer bottle and wine glass not included.

Sonoro's Cubo line of audio products starts at $289. They also get bonus points for aesthetics. Each of their show staff wore white cotton gloves which were also given to all attendees. After all, you don't want fingerprints to smudge up the high-gloss lacquered finish of your player.

Coming next, the ultimate in relaxation. Seriously . . .

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Re: It's a Tech World After All: disneytim at the 2008 Consumer Electronics Show

Ohhhh! That home entertainment center is amazing! I love the beer cooler
    Can't wait to see more! Thanks for all the great info and pictures Dtim

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Great information and products. Keep them coming!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

More from Saturday night:

Real Networks touted WiFi media players compatible with their Rhapsody music service. Manufactured by Haier, the Ibiza Rhapsody player can connect directly to a wireless network (no computer necessary) to access and download music directly from your Rhapsody account. The navigation is intuitive and iPod-like. Very easy to operate.

Suggested retail prices range from $229 for a 4GB unit to $329.99 for a 30GB unit with Bluetooth capability. Need to make a break from iTunes? Here's a good place to start.

It's nice to kick back and relax while listening to your tunes. Why not make the best of it in this massage chair from Human Touch?

I could bore you with the details about zero-gravity ergonomics and back, seat and footrest synchronization, but I'd miss the point. Put simply, after a few minutes in this chair, I didn't want to leave. It can actually detect the tensions spots in your body and focus its massage elements in those areas. Bliss.

Here's a better look at the chair without me in it.

The HT-7450 comes in black and dark chocolate and lists for $3,999. It's available now at Sharper Image and other retailers.
    Last edited by disneytim; 01-07-2008 at 10:26 AM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

I want that chair! Want it and I want it now!

Thanks Tim for sharing all this uber cool info with us!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

The CES show floor officially opened at 10:00. Here's a couple of quick hits before I brave the madness.

For the labgeek in all of us, Celestron is introducing a digital microscope with a 3.5" LCD screen and USB cable to link directly to your computer. It has a 2 MB digital camera and magnifies from 40 to 400 power and up to 1,600 power with a digital zoom. It comes with 128 MB of internal memory with an SD slot. It will be available for under $300 in February.

It seems everywhere this year there are new portable and shelf stereo units sporting iPod docks. Some sound better than others. Some look better than others. Vestalife wins the battle for "cute" with its new Ladybug.

The circular unit has two speaker "wings" that flip out, giving it its friendly insect name. It also comes with a central subwoofer adding quite a bit of pop for a small system.

Targeting the teen and tween market, the Ladybug will hit stores some time in the next three months, retailing from $100-$125.

Later today, I'll have pictures and video from a visit last night to the BMW Pit Lane Park, a hands-on exhibit demonstrating where high-performance auto racing and technology meet.

For now, it's time to hit the show floor. See you later.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I wish I was there with you!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

After a successful run in Europe and Asia, the BMW Sauber Formula One racing team has brought Pit Lane Park to CES for its American debut. This interactive racing playground takes up a large chunk of the parking lot across the street from the Las Vegas Convention Center. Consisting of a partial grandstand and a series of race track-style garages surrounding a makeshift straightaway, Pit Lane Park has much to offer hardcore racing fans and the clueless (like me) alike.

Outside the grandstand:

BMW vehicles are, of course, everywhere to be found at the exhibit.

From a high-performance Formula BMW FB02 racing machine . . .

. . . to a more conventional BMW 135i Coupe.

Pit Lane Park isn't just about looking at pretty cars, though. It's a hands-on experience giving visitors a feel for what racing is all about. Want to know what it's like to quickly change a tire on race day? Visit the Pit Stop Challenge:

The BMW World of Motorsport gets you closer to the individual components of a race car than you probably ever will in your life. Visitors are encouraged to touch all the exhibits and see how they look and feel compared to everyday auto parts.

Think your steering wheel is complex just because you have cruise control? Try your hand at this BMW F1 wheel. Starting the car up, working the clutch and putting it in gear is all done using the buttons and paddles you see in front of you.

Pit Lane Park has a miniature race track where you can race remote-controlled cars. Being CES, though, there is a catch. The cars are here. The controls are at Intel's booth at the Convention Center. To demonstrate Intel's new WiMAX technology--Wi-Fi that's available everywhere, not just near a hotspot--the remote control signal is transmitted across the street via a broadband Internet connection and drivers see the track through small cameras mounted on the cars.

The Driving Experience has Formula One simulators powered by Intel Core 2 Quad processors . . . and pretty girls.

I decided to give it a try.

Race car driving is serious business.

ACCCCCCK!....Spun out on the infield. Those turns are sharp.

Back to reality, Formula BMW driver Daniel Morad poses with his vehicle:

Formula BMW is sort of a minor league for aspiring Formula One drivers. It's an opportunity for younger drivers to learn and develop in their sport.

Unlike some of the other cars on display, Morad's is the real deal. Here he takes his car out for a spin . . . literally.

Yes, we really were that close to the track. All spectators are given earplugs to use when the cars are racing. Yes, you definitely need them.

Give a listen when Champ Car driver Graham Rahal gets his car going . . . and check out that smoke.

CES has had automotive technology and test track exhibits in the past, but this is the first year I've ever seen Formula One racing in the spotlight. It's a sport unfamilar to most Americans, especially those loyal to NASCAR. It'll be interesting to see how American attendees repond, or whether Pit Lane Park will only be favored by foreign visitors. By the way, crowds were light when I took these pictures because this was a press-only preview event.

Next up, a handful of celebrity encounters . . . posting tomorrow, I think.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post

Go! Speed Racer Go! Keep up the great reports Tim!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Happy Memories

Fantastic reporting as always Tim. Looking forward to your ongoing coverage.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing, this looks like a lot of fun, Tim. Love the racing pictures, so intense, so focused.

I'm glad you're on my team.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by All Aglow View Post
    Thanks for sharing, this looks like a lot of fun, Tim. Love the racing pictures, so intense, so focused.

I'm glad you're on my team.
    After lugging a briefcase and a backpack for the better part of four days through two crowded convention centers, the Gumball Rally will be a piece of cake.

BMW isn't the only exhibitor sporting a racing theme at CES. On Monday, IndyCar Series driver Danica Patrick made an appearance at the GoDaddy.com booth.

Another shot of Danica, without that annoying guy in the picture:

An entirely different sort of technology on wheels launched at CES on Monday with the unveiling of a new John Lennon Educational Tour Bus. This state-of-the-art mobile production studio will travel the nation, visiting high schools, colleges and universities and giving students hands-on opportunities to produce their own music and videos. The studio is equipped with the latest recording equipment and tools from Apple, Sony, Godin Guitars, Roland and many other sponsors.

A look inside the bus:

Interior photos courtesy lennonbus.org

A number of celebrities were on hand for the unveiling.

Pat Monahan from Train:

Natasha Bedingfield:

will.i.am from the Black Eye Peas:

will.i.am has been a strong supporter of the John Lennon Educational Tour Bus having recorded tracks for Fergie and the Black Eyed Peas on another bus.

Pat Monahan talks about the program:

Also at the event was Yoko Ono, who has lent her late husband's name to the bus and the affiliated John Lennon Songwriting Contest for over ten years.

Ono received the Music for Life Award from the International Music Products Association (NAMM). The award recognizes individuals who play a significant role in supporting music education. The award was presented by Dennis Houlihan, president of the Roland Corporation.

Ono, Bedingfield and Monahan watch a roughcut music video produced in the mobile studio by Las Vegas area students just prior to CES.

will.i.am joins them to give peace a chance.

These are two of the students involved in the video. Sabrina Bernstein (left) has an incredible voice.

Great shoes too. This shot's for Fishbulb:

The John Lennon Educational Tour Bus will be at the Macworld convention in San Francisco January 14 - 16 and at the NAMM convention in Anaheim January 17 - 20. For more information, visit www.lennonbus.org.

Last edited by disneytim; 01-09-2008 at 11:43 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

Awesome pictures and a great report, Tim! I can't wait to see what's next!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

I am officially even more jealous of you. That looks like so much fun!

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast