• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Miramax Films flying high with 21 Academy Award nominations

Miramax Films Flying High with Remarkable 21 Nominations
    for 'No Country For Old Men,' 'The Diving Bell and The Butterfly,' 'Gone Baby Gone' And 'There Will Be Blood' As The 80th Annual Academy Award Nominations Are Announced

"No Country for Old Men" and "There Will Be Blood"
    tie for most nominations at 8

NEW YORK, Jan. 22 /PRNewswire/ -- When the nominations for the 80th Annual Academy Award nominations were announced today in Los Angeles, Miramax Films as a company received an astounding 21 overall nominations, including 8 for "No Country for Old Men," 4 for "The Diving Bell and The Butterfly," one for "Gone Baby Gone," and 8 for "There Will Be Blood."

"I am so thrilled that Miramax's faith in these extraordinary filmmakers and their ambitious work has been rewarded by the Academy. To have 21 nominations across four films is an incredible achievement for Miramax," said Daniel Battsek, company president.

Bringing the Coen brothers together with one of America's leading novelists, Cormac McCarthy, "No Country for Old Men," is about people dealing with a morally inscrutable universe. The film received a Best Picture nomination and is produced by Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen. Executive producers are Robert Graf and Mark Roybal.

"I couldn't possibly be more thrilled for Joel and Ethan. To me, they are among the most exciting and visionary filmmakers making movies anywhere in the world. To have had the honor of making this movie with them, and of watching them collaborate with the great American writer Cormac McCarthy -- well, that's been a tremendous reward in itself. It's a thrill to see the Academy recognize their work and that of our creative partners on the movie -- Javier Bardem, Roger Deakins, Skip Lievsay, Craig Berkey, Greg Orloff, Peter Kurland, and all of our colleagues," said Scott Rudin.

In addition to their Best Picture nomination for "No Country," previous Academy Award-winners Joel Coen and Ethan Coen also received nominations for Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay. The Coens together previously won an Academy Award for Best Screenplay in 1997 for the film "Fargo," for which Joel was nominated for Best Director and Ethan was nominated for Best Picture as producer. They also received an Oscar nomination for their screenplay for "O, Brother Where Art Thou?" in 2000.

"We are very happy to have received these nominations and would like to thank the Academy and all of our friends and associates with whom we made this film-especially Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Kelly Macdonald, Woody Harrelson, cinematographer Roger Deakins, editor Roderick Jaynes, author Cormac McCarthy, producers Scott Rudin and Robert Graf, Daniel Battsek and everyone at Miramax Films and Paramount Vantage. Thank you very much," said Ethan and Joel Coen.

Previously nominated for an Academy Award for his leading role in 2001's "Before Night Falls," Javier Bardem recently won a Golden Globe for his performance in "No Country."
    http://sev.prnewswire.com/entertainm...2012008-1.html

Re: Miramax Films flying high with 21 Academy Award nominations

I like Miramax better before Disney bought it. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney. But Disney under Eisner severely tarnished the image of the company, and Miramax under Disney is an example of this.