Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

2/7: No Flash Pictures

Kevin offers tips on getting great ride and show photos. Discuss them here.

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: http://www.miceage.com/kevinyee/ky020708a.htm
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: 2/7: No Flash Pictures

This weeks article fits my hobby, photography. Great article Kevin! I hope to apply some of your suggestions next time I am in the parks, the low light attractions have always been a struggle for me as well.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Good information, Kevin. I'm right on the cusp of spending a few hundred on a decent camera. I'll make sure it makes use of interchangable lenses.

And while not taking away from any of the excellent photos in your article, I have to say that the benchmark these days seems to be the pictures from Micechat regular nbodyhome (Denise), who will tell you that she's not a photographer while posting some truly stellar shots. Keep an eye out for her work - you'll be impressed!

• World Traveler

Thanks for the photography lesson. Great article.

• Bucket List Car

Photography is right up my alley as well. I love to shoot everything manually; let's me be in control. Thanks for all these great tips.
    You can never stop learning how to take great photos!

Blog Entries

Whenever I finally get some free time in my life (and a bit of money) I'm going to try and find a good photography class somewhere here in Tallahassee to learn to take better photos. I've got some friends who do wonderful work and I've tried to learn from them a bit, but I just don't have the time to dedicate to it at this point in my life. But one day I certainly want to.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Good information, Kevin. I'm right on the cusp of spending a few hundred on a decent camera. I'll make sure it makes use of interchangable lenses.

And while not taking away from any of the excellent photos in your article, I have to say that the benchmark these days seems to be the pictures from Micechat regular nbodyhome (Denise), who will tell you that she's not a photographer while posting some truly stellar shots. Keep an eye out for her work - you'll be impressed!
    Denise does have great shots. In some ways, my Canon SLR doesn't do as well in 'fluidity' as my old G2 and S2 point-and-click cameras, which are less sophisticated but have some great software to make things flow together, and match colors. In fully programmable mode, the G2 and S2 delivered better than the Rebel XT about half the time, which irritated me. It also makes me miss my S2 (which admittedly isn't gone, just sitting on the counter unused).

But I'm really seeing the benefits of an SLR when it comes to telephoto lenses and especially this new low-light lens. I've got a wide-angle low light lens in the mail now, and up next will be an ultra-wide-angle for use in brighter situations (like outdoors) that ought to knock my socks off.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Know More Than You Should

I don't do much photography these days, but I still remember F-Stops and Shutter Speeds and ISOs from my high school photography class. And of course then we were using FILM, and a darkroom, instead of SD-Cards and photoshop.

I've debated getting an SLR for doing in-park photography, and maybe other things. Certainly I like the high quality and the ability to set everything manually, which is good for a control freak like me. Given the high price point though I think I'll probably be sticking with a point and shoot for the time being; besides I've already invested in a fantastic HD video camera so that's really more my arena.

• Banned User

we use a cannon xti slr, Currently we have three lenses that are interchangable. A zoom lense, the lense that came with the camera, and a low light lense. I have to admit I am amazed at the pictures you can take with the low light. It's like using 1000 or better film in my old olympus.

• A Weather Eye Open

tell your friend roger i would buy his book!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post

Dan - you are still too nice, but thank you! I have enjoyed taking pictures over the last year, and I'm looking forward to my new Canon flash (but not on rides!)

On low-light attractions, I usually use the video feature (taking stills). Then I up the light level on the computer.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

Kevin. ISO/film Speeds aren't that hard to work with. I use a Nikon Digitial (D80) and usually leave the film speed on a 200 speed. By switching to a speed, say 800, I can take indoor photos with no flash and pretty good clarity.

In IASW/Disneyland, I have used a speed of 1600 and gotten wonderfully clear shots.

A few words of wisdom should be entered here for people messing with film (ISO or ASA) speeds:

1 - The higher the number the less detail that gets captured. In the film world, photographers talk about graininess of the higher 'speeds'. For Digital, this results in pixel size.
    2 - I usually shoot tightly cropped, full frame shots and the Nikon is a high megapixel camera. I also never print larger than 8x10 (usually 5x7) so even my 1600 'speed' IASW photos come out well.
    3 - I use Nikkor lens made for Digital SLRs, and I shoot with lens pretty wide open when messing with indoor shots & no flash.
    4 - I take several shot of the same target. When you're using memory chips, shots are cheap. Take a couple and delete when didn't work later. Unless you're at the park during peak, you can get on the ride a second time and reshoot using a different strategy.
    5 - I've used Nikon cameras for decades and shoot hundreds of photos on a new camera body/lens before I go out and shoot a once-in-a-lifetime deal. I learned that lesson the hard way while shooting professionally a long time ago. People should know their camera.
    6 - Sometimes people should even read the instruction book more than once. In your case, a publishing company called Magic Latern cranks out great Canon (and Nikon) help books, written in real English and describes wonderful little 'tips & tricks" for each model.

Sorry for the long-winded comment, and yes, I used to teach photography (grin)

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    Dan - you are still too nice, but thank you! I have enjoyed taking pictures over the last year, and I'm looking forward to my new Canon flash (but not on rides!)

On low-light attractions, I usually use the video feature (taking stills). Then I up the light level on the computer.
    Your shots are absolutely beautiful.

Since you're going to Disneyland, here's two challenges:

1 - Try to see how many photos you can take that doesn't contain any Disney Characters. Harder than you think when you considers signs, hidden Mickeys, people with character trading pins walking thru the picture, balloons, etc!
    or
    2 - Try to take a photo of every conveyance / vehicle in the parks (don't forget the DL maint vehicles <G>). I bet you can get about a 100.

After so many trips, I make up challenges for myself to take photos. I'm now trying to document DCA before everything gets changed.

I'm surprised the article had no mention of Image Stabilization. There are many large aperture cameras on the market that have image stabilization and cost under $300. For example, this shot of Space Mountain was taken with a hand-held $300 Konica-Minolta DiMage Z3:

Last edited by ahecht; 02-07-2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Sorry old image didn't work, here is a try with a new image host

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by wctigger View Post
    Your shots are absolutely beautiful.

Since you're going to Disneyland, here's two challenges:

1 - Try to see how many photos you can take that doesn't contain any Disney Characters. Harder than you think when you considers signs, hidden Mickeys, people with character trading pins walking thru the picture, balloons, etc!
    or
    2 - Try to take a photo of every conveyance / vehicle in the parks (don't forget the DL maint vehicles <G>). I bet you can get about a 100.

After so many trips, I make up challenges for myself to take photos. I'm now trying to document DCA before everything gets changed.
    I don't even notice conveyance vehicles and such! I understand what you are saying about the Mickey characters - some attractions, you can't get away from taking those. I'll try to remember and see what I can do!

And thanks. I am looking forward to my trip!!!! Only about 7 weeks now.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast