Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

iPod shuffle now just $49

iPod shuffle Now Just $49

New 2GB Model Priced at $69

CUPERTINO, Calif., Feb. 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple(R) today announced that its iPod(R) shuffle, the world's most wearable music player, is now even more affordably priced at $49 and that it is introducing a new 2GB model of the iPod shuffle for $69. The popular iPod shuffle is just half a cubic inch in volume, weighs just half an ounce, features an aluminum design with a built-in clip and comes in five colors-silver, blue, green, purple and a (PRODUCT) RED special edition.

"At just $49, the iPod shuffle is the most affordable iPod ever," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. "The new 2GB model lets music lovers bring even more songs everywhere they go in the impossibly small iPod shuffle."

The iPod is the world's most popular family of digital music players with over 140 million sold. The lineup includes iPod shuffle, the world's most wearable iPod; iPod classic holding up to 40,000 songs*; the incredible iPod nano with video playback and the breakthrough iPod touch with a revolutionary Multi-Touch(TM) user interface. iPod owners can choose from a vast ecosystem of accessories with over 4,000 products made specifically for the iPod including cases, fitness accessories, speaker systems and iPod connectivity in over 75 percent of US automobiles.
    http://sev.prnewswire.com/entertainm...9022008-1.html

• Banned User

Re: iPod shuffle now just $49

This is nice news. Unfortunately for me, although I still don't have an iPod yet, I have over 30 GB of music in my iTunes, so I'd need more space, but who knows? I might grab one anyway, just to keep my current playlists.

Still, this sort of pricing is a lot to smile about. Considering that the original iPod was 1GB when it came out, this is a textbook example of technology becoming cheaper over time.

• Why do you keep talking?

^ The shuffles (or other small mp3/media palyers) are excellent for working out because of their weight and size. I doubt many people wold use this as a full media storage device as the larger capacity iPods and media players are used for.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Golden State of Mind

the shuffles are a joke.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Master Gracie View Post
    the shuffles are a joke.
    How so? There's nothing humorous about them, as far as I can see.

• Delawarean Girl

Yes, I heard about this yesterday. Hopefully one of theses days the others will go down too. They seem a to have another new color as well? One Purple or Violet color.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hayley B View Post
    Yes, I heard about this yesterday. Hopefully one of theses days the others will go down too. They seem a to have another new color as well? One Purple or Violet color.
    I kind of doubt it, the small flash based mp3 player market is pretty flooded right now. There are tons of players from companies like iRiver, Creative and Sandisk that offer a a lot more features for less than the Shuffle at $79. At this price, Apple is giving the average person a way to say they own an iPod without spending a lot of money. At the upper end, Apple pretty much owns the market so you won't see them drop price there. No reason to.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Here is a perfect example. You can get a 2GB Creative Zen that has an actual user interface, can display photos, play video, has an FM tuner for $10 more than the 2GB Shuffle.

http://us.creative.com/products/prod...&product=16999

You can also use it with music subscription services and it's compatible with AAC files from iTunes.
    Last edited by justjohn; 02-22-2008 at 03:16 PM.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    has an FM tuner for $10 more than the 2GB Shuffle.
    Last time I listened to a FM station was about 3 years ago, Now thats a feature that will be used. Apple in there products look to the future, not the past.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tahoebob54 View Post
    Last time I listened to a FM station was about 3 years ago, Now thats a feature that will be used. Apple in there products look to the future, not the past.
    By not giving their customers access to video, photos, an expandable slot for memeory or even a user interface?

How considerate of them.

Throw out the FM radio and the Zen is still a better choice for $10 more than the Shuffle.

The only future Apple looks to is there own. The customer is the last person they care about.

EDIT: $5 more than the Shuffle
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16855102039
    Last edited by justjohn; 02-22-2008 at 05:02 PM.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

or for almost $30 less than a 2GB Shuffle, you can get a 2GB Creative Stone that offers a screen, stopwatch, clock, FM tuner, voice recorder, 5 preset EQ's and 1 custome 5 band EQ.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Stone...3728794&sr=8-4
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    I kind of doubt it, the small flash based mp3 player market is pretty flooded right now. There are tons of players from companies like iRiver, Creative and Sandisk that offer a a lot more features for less than the Shuffle at $79. At this price, Apple is giving the average person a way to say they own an iPod without spending a lot of money.
    I agree. I feel like most people, especially young people would pick an iPod over any other portable media player that has more features and is at a lower price point just because it's an iPod. At my school, having an iPod is like a fashion trend, especially those horrible white earbuds. I've actually seem people use those earbuds in other mp3 players, hoping people think they have an iPod. I personally don't use the white earbuds because they have horrible sound quality and I don't feel like declaring, "hey look at me! I have an iPod!"

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    ^ The shuffles (or other small mp3/media palyers) are excellent for working out because of their weight and size. I doubt many people wold use this as a full media storage device as the larger capacity iPods and media players are used for.
    Totally true. I use mine daily - love it love it love it love it! Make my work out so much easier.....and it's so light, it's like it's not there.

Great invention.

• Minion

I could see a bunch of people using them just for the gym, because you don't really need a screen to look at while working out.
    Har har har

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garbear View Post
    I could see a bunch of people using them just for the gym, because you don't really need a screen to look at while working out.
    Exactly! They are PERFECT for working out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast