Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Re: 4/3: Decline, Incline

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    Nope, my name is not on that list (is that iaswh?) My name is on the HMH list that the snake is "eating" in the attic.
    D'oh! Yes, that pic was IASWH, not HMH. My, what a dolt I am. I went back to look and my HMH photo of the naughty/nice list came out too dark and blurry to reasonably make out any names. Regardless, it's wicked cool that you were able to leave a little bit of your legacy with the ride. Thanks again for posting this latest article!

• ISTC Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    Gotta tell you Kevin, couple issues with this article.

its another thing to take a photo of a Test Track CM from far away and label her on the internet as "bad". For all we know her managers OK'ed her glasses. For all we know she's new and hasn't learned the "good & bads" of glasses yet (which change manager to manager). And now she's a "bad Cast Member" for all the world to see. I didn't like it. It was a cheap shot. Especially for something thats not nessesarily bad.
    How funny, I get on to mice-age and I see someone I know!

I actually know this CM from my days working at Mission: Space. No she isn't new, no she is not a bad cast member (she's Awesome!), but yes those are her normal sunglasses.

Management is pretty relaxed on the sunglasses thing. That's not right, but I have to agree with tloolgb that management has more important things to worry about.

I sent her a link to the article so she can see how famous she is now .

The worse sunglasses I've seen on someone was a guy who bought the Oakley model that had a built in MP3 player. Management actually did talk to him about those, but he was defiant and kept wearing them.

Kevin, read my e-mail if you want to hear me go off on the quality level of some CMs, but I'll tell you one thing and for anyone else reading: this girl in the picture is a Great Cast Member and awesome at what she does!

(just not the right glasses unfortunately)
    Always follow your dreams...

The spirit of Eisner is alive and well at the Disney Parks. They were right, Iger would be no different than Eisner. Do it cheaper, faster and of less quality while making more money.

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by Details Matter View Post
    The spirit of Eisner is alive and well at the Disney Parks. They were right, Iger would be no different than Eisner. Do it cheaper, faster and of less quality while making more money.
    Isn't that the whole point of capitalism? To make money?
    This is why I'm not opposed to certain actions taken by the company. If I were running the company, I would probably be making similar decisions.

Kevin, you seem to be forgetting that The Walt Disney Company is a business.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    This is why I'm not opposed to certain actions taken by the company. If I were running the company, I would probably be making similar decisions.

I think the executives are making too much then. The money they make needs to go back into the parks.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceAge Columnist

Isn't that the whole point of capitalism? To make money? This is why I'm not opposed to certain actions taken by the company. If I were running the company, I would probably be making similar decisions.

I haven't forgotten so much as championed a different vision and attitude toward Wall Street.

Boards feel beholden to increase EPS every quarter, so CEOs are asked to do exactly that (since CEOs work for the Board). But a principled CEO will tell the board, essentially, "I want to build long term strength, not short term gain."

That will result in stock price stagnation. A board and a CEO have to be willing to accept that as the price of quality. Disney is trying to treat itself like a growth stock rather than a "utility" (remember when they had predicable returns?) or a value stock. Too bad. It makes for a lessened customer experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Exactly like when i read your articles, im sure you are great and all, but you are just a WDW hater...
    I'm far from great, except perhaps in girth (some movement on that lately, though!) To call me a WDW hater is inexplicable, though. Did you not read the intro and conclusion paragraphs? Do you simply disbelieve them? Why in the world would I spend my weekends at a place I hate?
    Last edited by KevinYee; 04-06-2008 at 04:25 PM.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I think the executives are making too much then. The money they make needs to go back into the parks.
    Agreeded, agreeded, agreeded, and agreeded. Walt poured almost all of his earnings back into the park and studio.

• Rock Star Minion

Meh. DIS will keep going this way in the parks because customers are still buying what DIS is selling. When will that ever stop? No idea. I know I cancelled a family trip to WDW for one big reason: it would not be worth my money, and that it would be a lot of money, even with one airfare and three days hotel comped by business.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    Agreeded, agreeded, agreeded, and agreeded. Walt poured almost all of his earnings back into the park and studio.
    Walt had the luxury of not being able to be fired (or that it would be nearly impossible to do so). These guys these days don't. (Exhibit A: Eisner.)

Also DIS is a dividend-issuing stock company. That keeps the share price somewhat level.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Golden State of Mind

[QUOTE=KevinYee;2694321
    I'm far from great, except perhaps in girth (some movement on that lately, though!) To call me a WDW hater is inexplicable, though. Did you not read the intro and conclusion paragraphs? Do you simply disbelieve them? Why in the world would I spend my weekends at a place I hate?[/QUOTE]

I don't know, people still go to DCA.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Walt had the luxury of not being able to be fired (or that it would be nearly impossible to do so). These guys these days don't. (Exhibit A: Eisner.)

Also DIS is a dividend-issuing stock company. That keeps the share price somewhat level.

If those execs made less money, created better value for the guests to come back to the parks more often, do you really think they'd get fired?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    If those execs made less money, created better value for the guests to come back to the parks more often, do you really think they'd get fired?
    From what I can see, they are creating worse value and guests are STILL coming back to the parks more often. We could blame the guest, but it's their money and they can do what they want with it.

Stockholders want to see profits, and will affect the stock price (by selling) if they don't get what they expect. Lowered stock price makes the company ripe for the picking. So, when some other company buys up enough DIS stock, then it will decide who's in charge. I think this is why Eisner/Wells were brought in in the first place.

• Bumbi

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I find myself agreeing with some points and disagreeing with others, Kevin. I do applaud your efforts to keep Disney's "feet to the fire". It does seem as if a lot of your arguments are predicated on the premise that the guest does notice, and will reach a point in the near future of not wanting to come back. I'm not sure if this is a valid argument, as the numbers for Disney parks are still incredibly strong. But if I were Disney it is something I'd want to keep a close eye on.

But I do have to challenge one point - that changes in the DDE now result in only a 2% savings. This is disingenuous, as it assumes that people are tipping ZERO. All it does is shift the tip from the voluntary position to the involuntary, which I'm not wild about. But if people were in the habit of tipping 20%, as I am, the new policy actually means an addition 2% savings, as I'm now only tipping 18%. Still, I've always felt strongly that tips should be totally in the hands of the purchaser, not the vendor.

I agree with Jerm's comments on this thread (Kevin is still trying to be a Cast Member & looking to make money selling 'his time as a Cast Member who worked on the first BIG private party - Liz Taylor's Birthday party')

Now to add a footnote to this exact post, for all of the readers of this spot on the web, please be sure that you KNOW this fact - Walt Disney World is the 9,000 gorilla (no disrespect ever meant to this part of the primate family) that runs Disney Theme parks in the United States. Everything that happens at Walt Disney's original Magic Kingdom is because of a decision that comes from Florida. EVERYTHING!

For those grown-ups among you out there, have you noticed that the grown-up beverage menu changed in the last year? Well, that is because World wanted it to change. Where did Block Party Bash go? etc . . .

In direct regard to the DDE, once again, it came from World.
    Woody: Look Jessie, I know you hate me for leaving, but I have to go back. I'm still Andy's toy. Well, if you knew him, you'd understand. See, Andy's...

Jessie: Let me guess. Andy's a real special kid, and to him, you're his buddy, his best friend, and when Andy plays with you it's like... even though you're not moving, you feel like you're alive, because that's how he sees you.

• Bumbi

Lightbulb Re: 4/3: Decline, Incline

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz View Post
    The bad and the good at Walt Disney World, plus Kevin's new book announcements. Discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: http://www.miceage.com/kevinyee/ky040308a.htm
    While Kevin makes some good points about the state of WDW, there is a piece that he REALLY needs to address and I dare say that both Al and Kevin are unwilling to touch this one with any size pole, much less that a 10 foot one.

There is absolutely no question that Walt would NEVER run the place the way that it is now. Upkeep is shoddy in so many places, that anytime that I go to WDW's Magic Kingdom, I can quickly find something that is not good show quality. (OMG, go to Disneyland Paris to find stuff in the "nasty, horrible show quality category, but back to WDW)

How many of you watch your fellow Guest???? I have seen Moms drop trash from their stroller, look at it lying on the ground, and walk on without a further thought. Get a clue people, that costs EVERY Guest. Yes, somebody has a job to pick that up, but the pay for that Cast Member comes right out of the Guest experience. Not wanting to leave out the rest of the family, btw, they all drop their trash. Even further, is the vandalism.

There are several categories of this:
    Tagging - walls in the bathrooms, various other walls and surfaces around the Resorts, etc (tell me that you haven't seen the results of these jerk's work)
    Chains - they are not seats, yet how many times do you see Guests of all ages sitting chains? At one time there was a saying "its a rope, not a ride", but ropes had to be replaced with chains because of Guests, and sadly to say Cast Members, sitting on them. Chains cost a WHOLE bunch more that rope, and who do you think pays for them?
    Plants - Guests of all ages abuse the plants all over the Resorts. It is an all too common sight that a kid is hanging on a tree while the adults with them do nothing about it (or when a Cast Member defends the tree, the adults say 'I told you that the man was going tell you to get down. And who is the parent???)
    Theft - need I say more?
    Protecting the Guests from "leaving their brains at the gate" - Why do you think that there are so durn many signs warning people of hazzards? Look at the Park maps and see how much safety information is in there. Why is it there? Because too many people don't want to to take personal responsibility for their own action. Seems that keeping your hands inside the moving vehicle is a bit of common sense, but there are people who insist on trying to touch the walls of rides as they zip through. If you do that and smack your hand on the rock wall, you outta admit that you earned the injury.
    The only person paying for the items listed above, and more, is EVERY single Guest who walks through the gates.

You are not the only Guest in the place - say please and thank you to both your fellow Guests and the Cast Members. Don't run your stupid stroller into my ankle five times in a row, and get cranky with me for your RV of a stroller being hard to push around. It is not the end of your natural life if you don't get to do and see everything that the Resorts hold. Walt built Disneyland so that 'daddy could have a place to spend time with his daughters that was clean and safe'. Spend that quality time with your family (or with whomever you decided to visit a Disney Theme Park), and enjoy your momentary vacation from the real world. Smile!
    Magic - DO NOT tell a kid that it is a guy in a mouse suit. You, as an adult, DO NOT have the right to destroy a child's fantasy. In addition to the kid to whom you were taklking, there are several more around you that ARE listen to what you say. Yes, I still believe in Santa Clause. Seems silly to bet against a guy who brings presents every year. And yes, Tinker Bell DOES fly through the night sky as part of the fireworks show.
    Pictures - STOP taking flash picture on the Pirates of the Caribbean (etc)!! Let the rest of us enjoy the show without your blinding flashes lighting up every bit of the Imagineer's creativity. The lighting effects have a job to do and your rude picture taking is messing that up. The Imagineers worked very hard to achive the right effect.

I should sto now because I am forgetting what I learned in Kindergarten.
    http://robertfulghum.com/index.php/f..._kindergarten/

http://www.webtree.ca/inspiration/al...needtoknow.htm
    All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

All I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate school mountain, but there in the sandpile at Sunday School. These are the things
    I learned:

Share everything.
    Play fair.
    Don't hit people.
    Put things back where you found them.
    Clean up your own mess.
    Don't take things that aren't yours.
    Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
    Wash your hands before you eat.
    Flush.
    Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
    Live a balanced life--learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
    Take a nap every afternoon.
    When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and
    stick together.
    Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
    Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup--they all die. So do we.
    And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned--the biggest word of all--LOOK.

Everything you need to know is in there somewhere. The Golden Rule and love and basic sanitation. Ecology and politics and equality and sane living.

Take any one of those items and extrapolate it into sophisticated adult terms and apply it to your family life or your work or your government or your world and it holds true and clear and firm. Think what a better world it would be if we all--the whole world--had cookies and milk about three o'clock every afternoon and then lay down with our blankies for a nap. Or if all governments had as a basic policy to always put things back where they found them and to clean up their own mess.

And it is still true, no matter how old you are-- when you go out into the world, it is best to hold hands and stick together.

--Robert Fulghum
    Last edited by Bgoofi; 04-20-2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: spelling
    Woody: Look Jessie, I know you hate me for leaving, but I have to go back. I'm still Andy's toy. Well, if you knew him, you'd understand. See, Andy's...

Jessie: Let me guess. Andy's a real special kid, and to him, you're his buddy, his best friend, and when Andy plays with you it's like... even though you're not moving, you feel like you're alive, because that's how he sees you.

Don't have a camera, so no picture, but noticed another decline this Sunday--the flowers in the center garden facing the back side of Spaceship Earth (a prime photo spot) were wilted and dying. Sure it was a scorcher outside, but during the Flower & Garden Festival no less? It was just sort of pitiful.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234