Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

4/8: Hello, Goodbye

Hello: Indy, Abe, Cars, Princesses... Goodbye: Walt, SunCal, Hotel Towers. Discuss it here!

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al040808a.htm
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 4/8: Hello, Goodbye

I can't help but think that there is a unique solution presenting itself with this latest news. If they can't put a new Philharmagic in the Muppet building, and they don't want to put a Walt-attraction in the Carthay, why not put Philharmagic in the Carthay? It's well known that Walt had a great dream that was Fantasia, a unique experience that would have involved music, animation, and of course, water effects, smells, and experiences that would incorporate the audience into the show. Philharmagic seems to do that, so in a way, it could be seen as a tribute to Walt, while still being a great and entertaining show. I think that a consistently changing Philharmagic/Fantasia attraction as the centerplace of Walt Disney Plaza would be a great opening experience for guests to California Adventure. Philharmagic is definetly my favorite attraction at MK's Fantasyland, I think it embodies why I love Disney: great stories, great music, great experience!
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• I'm not really here

I like the idea of putting Philharmagic into the Carthay. They didn't want to spend the money to redo all the infrastructure in the Muppet building, now they have a building that they are going to be creating ground up, why not build it for that? I think trading Mickey for Walt works well.

I am incredibly excited for TLM ride. I'm glad that it is going to include animatronics and that it continues to become more and more lavish.

It is definitely going to be an interesting few years with all the work going on, but I think it will be worth it in the end. Good luck and best wishes to WDI and TDA and a hearty thanks to Al for keeping us updated on all of the changes.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Still holding the keys

While I can certainly see that another Walt tribute is not really "needed" in Anaheim, building the Carthay as just a facade seems underwhelming. DCA already has way too many empty shells and buildings with doors that don't open. I am with the others in thinking Philharmagic would be a great use of that space.

• Minion

The Main Street Electrical Parade is possibly coming back!!!! WAHOOO!!!!!

This is the greatest Disneyland News EVER!!!!

Thanks for the info AL!

• Seasick

Thanks as always for the update.

Why build a theater that's just an empty facade? This short-sighted thinking caused problems with the original DCA. If they decide to add a film down the road, it will just cost all that much more to facilitate it. While I understand why they wouldn't want to add yet another film-based attraction to DCA, they should keep their options open. I agree that Philharmagic would be a good fit here.

If they're going to bring back the Electrical parade, one new float just won't cut it. Pathetic. Tokyo added new floats based on the Pixar movies, why can't Anaheim do the same?

I'd probably rebuild the hotel a tower at a time. That's a tough situation.

I haven't visited Disneyland in over 8 years (moved to Chicago). But, if MSEP returns to Disneyland (I never wanted to see it in DCA... I think it'd lose something for me) I will be on the fastest plane to LAX and cry like a baby throughout the parade.
    My childhood is pretty much defined by that parade, and is as close to my heart as my wife is... as silly as that sounds (and I love my wife completely).

To show my son what I grew up watching would be better than anything the Year of a Million Dreams promotion could ever give me.
    Last edited by aaronmckie; 04-08-2008 at 07:35 AM. Reason: spelling error

• Minion

Great news for Disneyland about the Electrical Parade and Lincoln (if it's Walt's orignal show, anyway) - - and possibilities for a Tahitian Terrace in the future.

But what of Tomorrowland...?

Definitely a great solution for the Carthay Circle is to put Mickey's PhilharMagic in there instead. One thing DCA needs far less than shows are empty facades, particularly as a centerpiece. It reinforces the image of the place as "on the cheap."

• World Traveler

I do not envy TDA's decision on what to do with the aging Disneyland Hotel Towers. Personally, I'd tear down the towers and build something fantastic instead.

• Minion

The historic Disneyland Hotel should be preserved in a plush, upscale mid-century modern style (all the rage these days with real 4 star hotels).

They can build a big ugly pastel gingerbread whorehouse on the vacant lot instead.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 04-08-2008 at 08:15 AM.

• Hiding in the shadows

Great update as always. I am very happy to hear about Mr. Lincoln. I totally understand about the threater and hopefully someday they can find a use for the inside. The last thing DCA needs is more empty facades, but I would hate to take money away from another project right now for that.

Interesting about moving the entrance for DCA to the west side. This area is outside of the current security tents, so I wonder how they are going to deal with that issue.

A little piece of heaven

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Great update. While I would have liked a Walt movie in the Carthey theater, their decision does make a lot of sense. Very excited about Carsland, Mermaid and the MSEP coming back!

Can't wait!

• Master of Disaster

as far as the controversy of the electrical parade...

why not replace all the lights with new LEDs? its the new "greener" electrical parade. or something of the like.

• Going to DL since 85

Talking Re: 4/8: Hello, Goodbye

I really can't wait to see Carsland, but I agree with you guys in puting the Philharmagic in the the Carthey theater. I've never seen it but it makes sense to put something there rather than leaving it empty. The Hotel towers are old but it would be sad to see them gone. Great Update

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aaronmckie View Post
    I haven't visited Disneyland in over 8 years (moved to Chicago). But, if MSEP returns to Disneyland (I never wanted to see it in DCA... I think it'd lose something for me) I will be on the fastest plane to LAX and cry like a baby throughout the parade.
    My childhood is pretty much defined by that parade, and is as close to my heart as my wife is... as silly as that sounds (and I love my wife completely).

To show my son what I grew up watching would be better than anything the Year of a Million Dreams promotion could ever give me.
    I am right there with you! I can't wait to take our daughter (not born yet - but will be in August of this year) to see what mesmerized me for so many years. Disneyland lost some magic when this parade left. It has been my wish that this would eventually come back!

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast