• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

The Famous Santa Monica Pier Ferris Wheel is on sale, to be replaced

FREE WHEELIN’ FUN FOR SALE ON EBAY: ONE FAMOUS FERRIS WHEEL, SINGLE PROUD OWNER, 3 MILLION RIDERS

Pacific Park’s High-Flyin’, Nine-Story Tall, Ferris Wheel Features 5,392 Light Bulbs, Reaches Speeds Of 2.5 RPM And Includes 20 Gondolas That Seat Up To 600 Riders Per Hour

SANTA MONICA, Calif., (April 15, 2008) --- One winning bidder will ride in style this summer when the historic Ferris wheel from Pacific Park on the Santa Monica Pier becomes their very own as the highest bidder on eBay. The 10-day auction runs from April 15 to April 25 and can be found by entering “Pacific Wheel Ferris Wheel” in the search box at ebay.com. The reserve is set at $50,000 with 50 percent of the winning bid being donated to Special Olympics Southern California.

“Where there is the Wheel, there is a way for Pacific Park to raise money for Special Olympics,” says Jeff Klocke, director of marketing and sales at Pacific Park. “We have partnered with the great organization for more than 10 years and feel this is the grandest gift we could offer the organization. It’s a sign of our commitment to their mission and reinforcing our valued long-term relationship.”

The Ferris wheel originally cost approximately $800,000, weighs 122,000 pounds, stands 90 feet tall and is 30 feet wide. It has become a Southern California icon over the past 12 years. Installation of an all-new, $1.5 million contemporary Ferris wheel begins May 5 with a grand opening community celebration scheduled for the evening of Thursday, May 22.

“Pacific Park and Special Olympics continue to strengthen their relationship and commitment to families, athletes and the community with this unique donation and auction on eBay,” says Maria Shriver, Board of Governors Special Olympics Southern California. “The winning bidder will gain a historical piece of Santa Monica while making a difference in the lives of Special Olympics athletes.”

Chance Morgan, Inc. in Wichita, Kan., is the manufacturer of both Ferris wheels and is offering the winning eBay bidder the Ferris wheel base that supports the wheel at cost of approximately $135,000. Chance Morgan, Inc. will donate 10 percent of the amount to Special Olympics Kansas. “Pacific Park and Special Olympics are two great organizations that we feel privileged to be in partnership with,” says Mike Chance, president and CEO of Chance Morgan, Inc.

The Pacific Wheel debuted May 1996 with the opening of Pacific Park and was adapted as the world’s first solar-powered Ferris wheel in November 1998. The nine-story Pacific Wheel was later selected “Best Solar System” in the Reader’s Digest Best in America 2006.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: The Famous Santa Monica Pier Ferris Wheel is on sale, to be replaced

Here is the link to the eBay auction...

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Original-Pac...QQcmdZViewItem

Note, Shipping and Handling is extra, and the "working base" is not included, but available at an extra charge (the current base will remain at Pacific Park).

And if you do decide to bid, the Los Angeles Times would love to hear from you....

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...o-go-half.html

• no flash photography...

I wonder what condition it's in? We went on it once about 8 to 10 years ago and it was rusty. I was happy when ti was finally time to get off of it.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

We have a winner...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...monica--1.html

Ten days, six bidders and 35 bids later, the EBay auction for the Ferris wheel on the Santa Monica Pier is over. Winning bid: $132,400.
    The bulk of the action started at 8:45 this morning, with the price jumping from $83,000 to the final sale price in a flurry of bids in the last 10 minutes of the sale. You can see the auction here, and the bidding here.
    So with the base, that is about $265,000 PLUS shipping....

And over $66,000 will go the Special Olympics!

Wow, that dude must have a HUGE backyard

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I wonder what condition it's in? We went on it once about 8 to 10 years ago and it was rusty. I was happy when ti was finally time to get off of it.
    I rode it about 1999 - along with the little roller coaster that is on the pier...and YIKES! Both are/were so ricketey.....very scary.....

From 2005, the most recent trip to Santa Monica