Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Save VMk Rally to be held in the Disneyland Resort area Saturday, May 10th

VMK Kids Unite Press Release

Disney, “Year of a Million BROKEN Dreams”

Over a million guests to Disney Magic Kingdom are told the online park is closing, forever.

Burbank, California – May 2, 2008 – In an unprecedented action, Disney officials are closing the gates to one of their family parks, forever. Last month, over a million registered visitors were given formal notice that the online Magic Kingdom (VMK) will close forever on May 21, 2008, 10:00PM DST. Guests are being told the experience was only to promote, the now three year old, Disney’s 50th Anniversary Celebration despite Disney’s continued advertising partnerships with Kellogg’s, Disney Pin Trader, eBay and up through last month, Disney Movie Rewards. Kids & parents throughout United States and around the World are done asking, “Why?” and are now taking financial actions and protesting Disney.

On May 10, 2008, VMK Kids Unite (www.vmkkidsunite.com) will be out in front of Disneyland in Anaheim, California to protest the recent decision to close the online park and publicly ask Disney why they are breaking the dreams of over a million kids throughout the World. The organization is calling upon Disney to remain true to their promise and not make this the “Year of a Million BROKEN Dreams” as these kids will permanently lose hundreds of friendships, forever.

Various sites and discussions, including the Save VMK, an online petitioning organization with over 16,000 signatures, are now calling for a boycott of all Disney related products and services. This new guest initiated movement to boycott Disney has yet to change the minds of top Disney Officials. Walt Disney Internet Group spokesman for and producer of VMK, Seth Mendelsohn (yavn) said recently, “We hear you and we share your concern and sorrow”; however, offered no revision of their decision to close the online park.

“Disney has yet to show any compassion for the kids whose dreams are being broken by their discussion to close the park.” said Christopher Douglas spokesman for VMK Kids Unite, “It is time to publicly ask Disney; what happened to the Year of a Million Dreams?”. Obtaining the final clearance from the City of Anaheim Planning Department their protest is moving forward on May 10, 2008, 7 to 11AM, currently with over 30 pre-registered participants, around the main thoroughfares to Disneyland at the intersections of West Ball Road & South Disneyland Drive and the second location at South Harbor Boulevard & Disney Way in the City of Anaheim.

“At first, I just saw this (VMK) as a game that people use to entertain themselves; however, when you hear of Madison Reed, an 11-year-old spinal muscular atrophy sufferer, who for the first time could virtual walk in the happiest place on Earth and not be judged by her inabilities you realize the dreams of kids throughout the World will be broken, forever”, says Jamie Knoll who was originally supportive of the closure.

VMK Kids Unite is an organization formed to unite guests who are being displaced by the recent decision to close the online Magic Kingdom, a game that goes beyond the typical multiplayer game. It allows safe, interactive social networking for kids of all ages, known as, “The Happiest Place on the Internet”. With support of various organizations VMK Kids Unite is bringing together the community for an opportunity to ask Disney if they really intend to directly destroy the dreams of over a million kids throughout the World.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Save VMk Rally to be held in the Disneyland Resort area Saturday, May 10th

I think it's terrible anytime anyone protests outside of Disneyland for any reason. It's really scary to kids. They are only thinking of themselves and not the paying guests to the Disneyland Resort. They can protest elsewhere, but they shouldn't be allowed to protest in front of Disneyland period.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    I think it's terrible anytime anyone protests outside of Disneyland for any reason. It's really scary to kids. They are only thinking of themselves and not the paying guests to the Disneyland Resort. They can protest elsewhere, but they shouldn't be allowed to protest in front of Disneyland period.
    As long as they're not on Disney's property and the City of Anaheim has granted them permission to assemble and protest on public property, they're allowed.

I think there are far worse things in the world to protest than the closure of an online game, but more power to them I guess.

• no flash photography...

I realize the game was pretty popular, but they never said it would be around forever...especially for free. I think they should have charged for it and had it on more reliable servers. At any rate disney has the right to shut it down if they want to.....I'm not sure what protesting is going to accomplish. Maybe they will keep it open for a fee...that's what I wold do..

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    As long as they're not on Disney's property and the City of Anaheim has granted them permission to assemble and protest on public property, they're allowed.
    I understand they are allowed to, but I don't think they should. It's selfish. Think of other people and especially the kids that get frightened by large groups of people holding signs, yelling and shouting.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Note, they are staying off of Disney property, but will be at the "border" of both the Timon and Mickey & Friends Parking entrances, on public sidewalks.

The group has gone thru the proper legal processes and obtained the permits need from the city. They have a right to get their voices heard, just like any other group.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Note, they are staying off of Disney property, but will be at the "border" of both the Timon and Mickey & Friends Parking entrances, on public sidewalks.

The group has gone thru the proper legal processes and obtained the permits need from the city. They have a right to get their voices heard, just like any other group.
    Legal or not, it's still in poor taste. Just my opinion.

• I'll pencil this in later

Oh boy, just let it die in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    Legal or not, it's still in poor taste. Just my opinion.
    Yeah, I agree.

• Yes?

As a vmk player, I just want to say.....these people need to get over it. It was a fun, free game with no promises of eternity. If some people put this much focus and energy into things that actually mattered like poverty, homelessness, disease, war, intolerance...the world would probably be in a lot better shape. The amount of time people will waste on this protest is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

There will probably be a handful of people who will show up at this protest, (like 5) and that will be the end of that.

I don't see how protesting outside of Disneyland is going to change anything.

• Circle of Ancients

Aren't there more important things they can be protesting?

Plus, the protest should be at Disney corporate who made this decision, not at Disneyland.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Why not Disneyland.

The game was based on a Virtual version of the park, so isn't it appropriate to protest the closure at the "real" version?

And of course, the Media will cover the event in front of Disneyland more than they would if they did it at Burbank.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Burbank, California – May 2, 2008 – In an unprecedented action, Disney officials are closing the gates to one of their family parks, forever.
    Wow, that's only slightly dramatic. They want to ask Disney if it is their intent to "destroy the dreams of a million kids around the world?" Who wrote this for them?

One million kids need to find a new hobby, that's all I can come up with on this one. While I can appreciate the idea that they want to rally around a cause, I'm not sure this is rally-worthy.

ETA: Yes, I realize that rally-worthiness is in the eye of the beholder.
    Last edited by SusieP.; 05-05-2008 at 05:07 PM.
    A signature should go here.

• s.p.a.c.e M0UNTA1N!!

I think they probably should have done this a little bit earlier.

It's May already people, they are probably ready to shut it down at any rate now.

And, I understand that VMK is really fun, but I think there is better things to protest for than a virtual game. o_O

• Banned User

I've been on VMK since day one, but they don't see me complaining. It seems unethical to protest over a virtual game that closes 16 days from now. I say they admit defeat and go home to enjoy the time they have left, not waste it by protesting.

And like someone said earlier, if people put as much time into things that matter and actually affect people as they do for this Save VMK movement, who knows what they could accomplish.

A better question though, where's the protest over changes to Small World?

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast