Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 6/17: Why Lie?

• Magic Making

Re: 6/17: Why Lie?

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Hey Al, I have a friend that works in Parades over at DCA and he says that they were just told that World of Color has been put on hold. Also they heard that they are going to be adding some more of the Electrical Parade floats back into the parade, including replacing the Blue Fairy at the beginning of the parade with a Tinkerbell Float. Also they are going to be doing a big refurb on all of the floats changing the lighting over to LED's. With the work on the parade route over at Disneyland and the work on Fantasmic. It looks like DCA will be the only game in town for a little while this winter.
    I can confirm 3 new units being added, Mine train, cigar factory, and pleasure island. The gridding for drivers shows 29 driving spots instead of the current 26. Of course these floats are new ones, not the old ones, which all got destroyed years ago.

As for POD leaving after this year is not happening, a friend in Parade Support has also confirmed that it will be back next year due to the Production Center at WDW not being able to house the parade.

And from what I heard, the Wonder parade designs were not approved by TDA.

And on a side note completely unrelated to the topic, Parade of Dreams set new boundaries in parade float lighting.

This project marks Disney's first time using Expression 250 LPCs (eight of them) on board all floats to control the lighting. The parade features a wide variety of LEDs, including the iColor Cove, iColor Tile and iColor Flex String; the OptiLED Designer Spot; Linear lighting by Quantum; and numerous Color Kinetics fixtures. Other lighting includes the Martin Wizard and several hundred custom strobe heads and controllers from Nova Electronics. Each of the eight floats is treated as a different “show,” which took four months of programming to complete.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Great Post! I just recently watched the rehabed fantasmic, and I can say all the new lighting does make a difference for the show. Love it!

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz
    You wouldn't believe the fireworks that were set off when the Marketing folks wanted to wrap WDI's new fleet of Mark VII monorails in puffy "dream cloud" ads this summer. It took nearly every bit of executive firepower WDI could muster to beat back that boneheaded idea from the Yellow Shoes Marketing team.
    You've got to be kidding me. Seriously!? Marketing wanted to wrap the NEW trains!? Wow, they truly are out of touch with the Resort....
    -Monorail Man

• Regularly Confused

For those who are bashing on the tram system; the tram from Mickey and Friends is fast and reliable. Seriously. Extremely efficient. If a tram breaks down they pull it out and traffic isn't affected. A moving walkway breaks down and now everyone has to walk. That doesn't seem anywhere near as efficient. Think of how many times the old speed ramp on Space Mountain was down and consider that everyone coming from Mickey and friends needs to be transported a rather long distance.

Another comment about the front entrance to the trams being blocked; it is not to 'force you' into downtown Disney, but for crowd control purposes. People would just bunch up and line up in front of the the first few cars otherwise. Hitting the tram in the middle people are more likely to naturally spread out to all the cars. Consider that some things are done for our general benefit, not for some underhanded motive. Like circular flow during fireworks. It may be annoying to the individual, but to keeping the park flowing as a whole it is very important.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Great Update Al.

Question: If they build a 2nd structure in Pumbaa, how are they going to get people to the park? That sidewalk and crosswalk area is already packed to the gills when the existing lot is open. I can't imagine a multi-level parking structure and having that many people have to walk to the park.

Some kind of bridge with a moving sidewalk would probably be the way to go. Honestly, they should do the same with the existing structure. It would greatly reduce the reliance on trams.
    We were talking about this recently, I can't remember what thread, but most people thought they would use trams at that location as well with a new tunnel under Harbor for the trams to run thru. I agree though, I think most people would prefer something other than trams, but they do move a lot of people, and they are more cost effective then most alternatives.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

So glad you pointed out the tricky marketing campaign Disney is using to sell this ride.

There's some brief mention of "Get a parkhopper at the Disneyland Resort" on the commercial I saw. People don't realize until they get off the tram that they're going to have to pay $100 a person as day visitors to see the old Disneyland favorites they want to see, and the new ride their kid wants to see at California Adventure.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Great Update Al.

Question: If they build a 2nd structure in Pumbaa, how are they going to get people to the park? That sidewalk and crosswalk area is already packed to the gills when the existing lot is open. I can't imagine a multi-level parking structure and having that many people have to walk to the park.

Some kind of bridge with a moving sidewalk would probably be the way to go. Honestly, they should do the same with the existing structure. It would greatly reduce the reliance on trams.
    I could be wrong but I remember hearing they're going to have the Lion King Trams tunnel under Harbor Blvd. under the power lines and come back up at the Pumbaa Lot instead of going round to the back of DCA.

• The one, the only...

Great Update, Al! I have to say it is sad that the Monorail update has been screwed up so much. Why Disney chucked the simple design of lowered windows that has worked so well for close to 40 years is beyond me. I don't recall anyone crawling out those windows in all that time.

I wonder where the engineers are on this. Why could they not out do the generation of engineers who designed the original Monorail with a SLIDE RULE!!!!! That right! Without calculators or computers! Now with computers and predictive models that can be done on computers why this fiasco happened is beyond me.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Am I the only one that thought the info was lacking?

With all of the problems they're experiencing on the new monorails, I have to seriously question if any of the "designers" have ever ridden on the existing one? Talk about a collossal screw-up!

No gossip about Small World?

Or, has that issue already been dispensed with?

Do we all agree that the Small World ride will definitely reopen in December, with new boats in place ?

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalJoshy View Post
    For those who are bashing on the tram system; the tram from Mickey and Friends is fast and reliable. Seriously. Extremely efficient. If a tram breaks down they pull it out and traffic isn't affected. A moving walkway breaks down and now everyone has to walk. That doesn't seem anywhere near as efficient. Think of how many times the old speed ramp on Space Mountain was down and consider that everyone coming from Mickey and friends needs to be transported a rather long distance.

Another comment about the front entrance to the trams being blocked; it is not to 'force you' into downtown Disney, but for crowd control purposes. People would just bunch up and line up in front of the the first few cars otherwise. Hitting the tram in the middle people are more likely to naturally spread out to all the cars. Consider that some things are done for our general benefit, not for some underhanded motive. Like circular flow during fireworks. It may be annoying to the individual, but to keeping the park flowing as a whole it is very important.
    They are efficient if they are running enough trams, which isn't the case all the time. They should have some kind of alternative other than the walk-way that crosses a pretty major street.

And I don't buy the crowd control argument. If that was the case, they could just use the other side of the tram area, which is NEVER used.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I could be wrong but I remember hearing they're going to have the Lion King Trams tunnel under Harbor Blvd. under the power lines and come back up at the Pumbaa Lot instead of going round to the back of DCA.
    That sounds like a totally stupid idea to me. Drilling UNDER harbor??? That would cost more than building a moving sidewalk/bridge I think. It's really not THAT far.

• World Traveler

Wonderful report! Lots of things to think about. Thanks.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

...That sounds like a totally stupid idea to me. Drilling UNDER harbor??? That would cost more than building a moving sidewalk/bridge I think. It's really not THAT far.

OK Call TDA, I'm just saying that I had heard those plans existed.

Your idea sounds cool, I'll do you one better.

Bring back the PeopleMover, but from the Tram Loading areas to the two parking garages, and reuse the PM right of way in Tomorrowland for a Pod ride.

• www.JonAutopsy.com

In all honesty, I still dont like the Radiator Springs idea. It just seems to 'Fantasyland-ish' for me, like it will be automatically themed for kids. Plus, the whole fact that talking cars can only do some much, I'm just not really 100% into this idea.

Plus, A Bug's Land is pretty forgetable as it is and it's an entire area based on a single movie. I just cant see Radiator Springs being a place that everyone's going to be into.

One final thing. I was watching Fantasmic the other night which is something I dont always get the chance to do and it dawned on me. Wouldn't it be awesome to see a rethemeing of the pirate ship fight to be the Black Pearl and The Flying Dutchman? That would be phenomenal. I like Fantasmic and all but the show really hasn't changed since it's inception.
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
    1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast