Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 6/17: Why Lie?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: 6/17: Why Lie?

I'm all for a tunnel underneath Harbor. Or at least one over it! If you make one over then you'd need an elevator. If you go under, it could just be an incline so the wheelchairs and scooters can do that.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Animatronic

For the monorails, why don't they use thermoelectric instead of much larger condensors? It's high tech, and if it's good enough for my Prius A/C, it should be good enough for Tomorrowland.

Someone over at Visions Fantastic.com said that when POD and Main Street is down, F! would play 7 Days a Week.

Anyone else hearing that?

• Make it Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Village View Post
    Jeez, now nicely themed ODV stands are coming under attack? Remember when these were just ugly push carts? At least someone decided spruce one up.
    Agreed. It's unbelievable to me how someone (Al) who spends so much time money and effort as a detail watchdog actually has the gall to sneer at ANY detail. Is there such a thing as TOO much detail or story? I mean come on. You're starting to sound (and apparently think) like the very executives you love to hate.

• Make it Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    It's actually not all that expensive to drill under. Certainly less expensive and disruptive than a moving sidewalk and bridge.
    It's more likely that they would "cut and cover" rather than "drill".

Quote Originally Posted by composerboy View Post
    Agreed. It's unbelievable to me how someone (Al) who spends so much time money and effort as a detail watchdog actually has the gall to sneer at ANY detail. Is there such a thing as TOO much detail or story? I mean come on.
    I think the questions one might ask are:
    • Why are turkey legs of all things being sold at an oceanfront amusement zone?
    • Why is the fictional family selling the turkey legs Latino?
    Artistic decisions have to be justified in order for them to truly be creative. If Disney had a country fair with a Mr. Tom's Turkey Legs stand, the backstory might make sense. But, in Paradise Pier, the Hispanic version seems contrived. And, just because Disney attempts to give its places a sense of faux history does not mean said history, and the imaginary characters behind it, are necessarily interesting.

I was at the Grand Opening of Toy Story yesterday. Got there at the 10am park opening to get as close as I could before the 11am Ride Opening. To my unbelieving eyes the closet I could get was the Hollywood Back lot entrance all the way across the park from the actual ride. They must have let more people in than actually stayed at th hotels. We waited in the heat from 10am to about 3:45 pm before the ride broke down and we were given fats passes to return when it was working again. To say that deflated our entire day is an under statement. We did however check back around 6:30pm to find it operating and with the pass were allowed to by pass everything, however I did notice Mr. Potato head was closed under curtains. The ride ended up being tremendously fun and enjoyable, but it was an opening day that won't be celebrated by Disney because of the two breakdowns ( one I didn't know about happened during my original long wait BEFORE the removal of guest ) and the closing of the Mr. Potato head. We left happy in the end though.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    It's a shame that DHS doesn't see fit to update Fantasmic in Orlando. I last saw the show there two years ago and found it awful back then. If they would get the updates to it that Disneyland is getting it might make it worth watching. As it stands, at this point in time I just skip Fantasmic in DHS.
    I take that with a grain of salt - typical wdw bashing from Al.. even with the 'stuck in the 90s' comment - given thats exactly where DL is right now too Probably just not something commited to right now for any number of possible reasons. It's not to say its not going to be upgraded in the future, just maybe the florida team didn't commit to doing it now. Remember, DHS's version was built 4 years later then DLs..

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    It's actually not all that expensive to drill under. Certainly less expensive and disruptive than a moving sidewalk and bridge.
    Honestly... do you really believe that? Why on earth do you think nearly every highway intersection is an OVERpass not an UNDERpass? It is SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive and less disruptive to build fly bridges then it is to tunnel or cut/cover. And for something as small as pedestrian bridges - you could use prefab sections. Road closures would only be overnight closures to do the crane lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I'm all for a tunnel underneath Harbor. Or at least one over it! If you make one over then you'd need an elevator. If you go under, it could just be an incline so the wheelchairs and scooters can do that.
    You don't need an elevator - you have ramps going up as well. Done all over for pedestrian bridges. Commonly done in areas where bikes are popular

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    But, in Paradise Pier, the Hispanic version seems contrived.
    Even after reading the story.. I still went 'huh?'. Seems really oblong to me.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Circle of Ancients

^ Exactly. Drilling UNDER would require the closure of Harbor Blvd for AT LEAST 2 to 3 weeks. Even if you don't actually "Drill" but use cut and cover.

Building a Bridge you would concievably take longer, but would be much less disruptive to the overall area.

And I agree about the "Story" of the cart. Why??? I saw all of the pictures when we got a soda there on Sunday and I couldn't have cared less. I think it's great to give something a theme, but a cart? Really? How about "It's a cart on a midway" and leave it at that.

• Circle of Ancients

Also, a question about the DVC building:

I've always thought this was a stupid location for a DVC location.

- Land is at a premium in this location to start with
    - It's even CLOSER to the park and therefore the noise in the park

Given those two things, and the fact that it's not selling as great as it could be ... what is the possibility (or even feasability) of just saying screw it to the DVC and making that some kind of ride building for something in DCA?

Not only would it add yet another ride to the area, but would also create a sound-barrier between the park and the rest of Grand CA.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

I'm amazed at the ignorance of WDI to address the a/c issue on the monorails when they KNEW that they had to keep the windows (essentially) closed on the new monorails!

This is a HUGE mistake and it's going to cause a tremendous amount of grief for CM's and TDA. You can ignore heaters, but not a/c.

People are aleady going to feel claustrophobic inside the new monorails with the darkened and minimally-opening windows. Adding the discomfort of over-heating onto families and individuals that are already hot and tired from a day in the Park is going to cause tempers to flare in short order.

Brilliant move WDI! [/sarcasm]

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    Also, a question about the DVC building:

I've always thought this was a stupid location for a DVC location.

- Land is at a premium in this location to start with
    - It's even CLOSER to the park and therefore the noise in the park

Given those two things, and the fact that it's not selling as great as it could be ... what is the possibility (or even feasability) of just saying screw it to the DVC and making that some kind of ride building for something in DCA?

Not only would it add yet another ride to the area, but would also create a sound-barrier between the park and the rest of Grand CA.
    Yeah... this idea kills! I can't believe that they would choose to whore out that area for DVC when they could save it for improvements/additions to DCA!
    More brilliance at work...
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Pilot EdForceOne

I like the idea of story for the cart... I just think the actual choice and resulting story left me dumbfounded.

Maybe because I don't get the connection between 'tom' and 'turkey'. Call me ignorant

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    I'm amazed at the ignorance of WDI to address the a/c issue on the monorails when they KNEW that they had to keep the windows (essentially) closed on the new monorails!

This is a HUGE mistake and it's going to cause a tremendous amount of grief for CM's and TDA. You can ignore heaters, but not a/c.

People are aleady going to feel claustrophobic inside the new monorails with the darkened and minimally-opening windows. Adding the discomfort of over-heating onto families and individuals that are already hot and tired from a day in the Park is going to cause tempers to flare in short order.

Brilliant move WDI! [/sarcasm]
    Here is my proposal for the monorails

Take the window frames out.. and rebuild them. Make the windows not fold out from the bottom, but fold out from the leading edge. This way the windows themselves act as a 'scoop' to bring fast moving air in. Supplement this with vents at the top of the train with small electric fans to act as exhaust fans.

The problem is the train is bi-directional, so what about the leading edge of the window? Possibly only do it for the first and last window of a set and each opens opposite directions. Or maybe even do a window that can open either direction (center hinge).

The Window frames should be a contained unit - it should be possible to overhaul that component independent of the shells.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    The Window frames should be a contained unit - it should be possible to overhaul that component independent of the shells.
    Unfortunately it's not though. They would have to remove the shell to get to the windows. In yet another idiotic move concerning these monorails.

I just don't get it. Car companies do aerodynamic tests on new cars, they test the insides of the cars for noise, air-flow, etc.

If Toyota can do it, and Disney can't ... how sad is that.

Yet instead of Disney saying screw-it and doing it in-house (like they should be doing) they decide to outsource WDI. Brilliant I tell you.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Here is my proposal for the monorails

Take the window frames out.. and rebuild them. Make the windows not fold out from the bottom, but fold out from the leading edge. This way the windows themselves act as a 'scoop' to bring fast moving air in. Supplement this with vents at the top of the train with small electric fans to act as exhaust fans.

The problem is the train is bi-directional, so what about the leading edge of the window? Possibly only do it for the first and last window of a set and each opens opposite directions. Or maybe even do a window that can open either direction (center hinge).

Oh my gosh... thats such a simple yet elegant solution!!

Are you listening Disney???

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast