Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: 6/24: Bus, Stop!

"4.4 million dollars?" That's chump change in total. Trimming 10% or 15% of that? What's the point?

Here's a hint of an idea: Florida was chosen long time ago by Walt because of the sunny weather. Sunny. Because the sun is out a lot.

They should simply call Toyota and ask them to make a couple hundred plug-in hybrid buses, with solar panels on top.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Interesting article, but surely Kevin, you see the irony that is presented when an article which downplays the impact of locals is written by a local. Again, this isn't the Orlando of the 70's. In the Orlando metro alone there are 2,032,496 people. That doesn't take into account the Tampa metro (which, along with Orange County, is one of the fastest growing metro areas in America!), Jacksonville, Gainesville, Ocala, and Daytona Beach. I'd consider that all to be the locals markets- as each location is less than a 2 hour drive to Disney (just a bit longer to Jax). Take it from someone who worked at Epcot a couple of years ago, count how many Gator shirts you see on any given Saturday during football season. Make no mistake- those aren't tourists from Nevada.

Yes, the parks COULD get by just fine by Floridians alone. Where there would be problems is filling those hotel rooms. Still, a driver from Tallahassee, Miami, or even Jacksonville would surely appreciate the opportunity to spend the night. This is where classical economics comes into play- the marginal cost of filling that hotel room is nothing more than the soap it costs to wash the bed and the basic toiletries. Figure out a way to do price discrimination- charge locals a much lower cost than tourists, and your problems are more than offset.

The trend to underestimate the impact of locals could prove disasterous. Putting in a trendy restaurant anywhere outside of the Contemporary would be a mistake (as the other guy said) because there are much better trendy restaurants elsewhere in town. Locals aren't confined between the walls of the cell, so to speak. If they are going to price discriminate in favor of tourists enjoying a lower on average price point, I am baffled by the economics of it!

I have high hopes, personally speaking, in American ingenuity and capitalism, and I think we may in fact see some kind of gasoline alternative or replacement in the coming years, perhaps even in just five years. I donít know if it will be hydrogen, ethanol, water-propelled vehicles, oil from shale, oil from coal, or something exotic like algae or bacteria which produce petroleum (or some equally powerful equivalent). But I do think itís possible weíll be able to afford to drive our cars again.
    Kevin, Thanks for including this GREAT paragraph featuring reasons to be optimistic about America's entrepreneurial future! We have the resources and knowhow.

Don't forget the new bio-aviation fuels in development! (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...-jet-fuel.html)

If only the politicians would get out of the way . . .

Doug

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Great in theory, but I'm not sure if there are enough monorail trains to do the job. Solution, thus, is more trains closer together (in time) on the tracks.
    No more Monorails than Kevin's idea of using the TTC for all EPCOT traffic.

• back in Austin

Mr. Broken Record here. I've been harping on the packetMover people mover concept for some time now and think that it could be extensively used at WDW. Whatever concept is used, though, what a perfectly synergistic opportunity this is for WDI! Design/engineer a new generation of people mover that is closer to $2million/mile to install and, by virtue of being cheaper and more lightweight, is easier to extend and reconfigure.

This might be naive, but I bet it could be done, and WDI would be getting back to its roots and believing in Disney's own "Meet the Robinsons" vision. We'd have a cool new ride, they'd solve traffic problems at the parks and there would be a prototype which could influence public transit solutions in other cities all at the same time.

• Banned User

Why not a Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) system? They're discussing building one where I live and it costs only about a million per mile.
    www.CPRT-SC.com

I also belive I've read an artical saying that Disney was considering one of these... I can't remember where though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    "4.4 million dollars?" That's chump change in total. Trimming 10% or 15% of that? What's the point?

Here's a hint of an idea: Florida was chosen long time ago by Walt because of the sunny weather. Sunny. Because the sun is out a lot.

They should simply call Toyota and ask them to make a couple hundred plug-in hybrid buses, with solar panels on top.
    Yes!! there is electric busses out there and I would think that Disney has already thought about this and it will be somewhere in the budget soon down the road...

Did You Know They Use Water To Make ICE!!

• pirate animator

Quote Originally Posted by chrishanson70 View Post
    Why not a Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) system? They're discussing building one where I live and it costs only about a million per mile.
    www.CPRT-SC.com
    I was thinking the same thing. How awesome would that be to leave your resort and select where you want to go? Since they require no drivers Disney would save $$ on CM salaries. It would be cutting edge..people WOULD come to WDW to check out the transportation system...I know I would.

Maybe one day

www.raymation.net

• The one, the only...

Kevin, Great article as usual. I have some ideas on the interesting problem you bring up. How to save money with the current system?

I believe that in the short term, the best money saver is just not have the bus make stops at places there are no people waiting. All you have to do is number each bus stop at WDW. When you get to the stop, just use your cell phone to call a number and punch in that code from the station. Then a number can be pressed for the park destination that guest wants to go. There are even voice recognition software that could be used to help those who have trouble pressing a number. That goes to a computer that flags that station as having guests waiting. A single computer can route and reroute buses to get to the customers. Buses nearest to guests can be located by using GPS. GPS units are relatively cheap nowadays and easy to setup.

Most guests have cell phones to contact others in their party. Usually at least one person has one. By just being more efficient with Disney's current resources can save a lot of money. The gives the guests the same amount of flexibility but reduces buses stopping at stations where no one wants to get on.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by chrishanson70 View Post
    www.CPRT-SC.com
    Quote Originally Posted by somepirateguy View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. How awesome would that be to leave your resort and select where you want to go?
    That's the same thing I was talking about, I just forgot the more common name for it...

You know, I should maybe send a note to the moderators about the CSS style for links on this site. They're almost perfectly indistinguishable from normal text! I don't know if anyone could see that I put a link to a prior thread from 2005 on this subject.
    Last edited by RenMan; 06-24-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: addition

• Missing DLR

• Missing DLR

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyandme67 View Post
    I wish everyone would stop using the costs of the Las Vegas monorail when considering adding on to the Monorail track in WDW. A comparison between the two is like comparing apples to oranges. Building a track in a busy, already built-up area of Las Vegas is nothing like building track in an empty field next to a road on the WDW property. It no doubt would cost more than it did last time the WDW Monorail track was expanded, but nothing like the prices that Las Vegas endured.

I agree, the cost is much more in a city where utilities have to be moved, where land must be purchased. You cannot tell me that it costs over 2 million dollars a mile to erect cement beams, electricity, etc. on property that Disney already owns.

$1 Million. $2 Million. $25 Million a mile. He doesn't know anything about it!

It's surprising to me that anyone spends any time reading this stuff and actually praises this drivel. I know you all want to play Theme Park King/Armchair Imagineer with Kev. Have fun with that.

It would be different if this was the work of someone who actually some experience in large scale planning or project management. An informed piece about the evolution of the Resort Transportation System would be interesting. This is not informed writing. This is the worst kind of speculative sensationalism.

In fact it isn't writing at all - it's typing.

• is too darn hot.

I know the Disneyland Railroad in California is running on biodiesel, and I'm pretty sure the tram fleet here is, too. Why not apply that to the buses at WDW? It's a good stopgap method until something else can come along.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Middlebrow View Post
    $1 Million. $2 Million. $25 Million a mile. He doesn't know anything about it!

It's surprising to me that anyone spends any time reading this stuff and actually praises this drivel. I know you all want to play Theme Park King/Armchair Imagineer with Kev. Have fun with that.

It would be different if this was the work of someone who actually some experience in large scale planning or project management. An informed piece about the evolution of the Resort Transportation System would be interesting. This is not informed writing. This is the worst kind of speculative sensationalism.

In fact it isn't writing at all - it's typing.
    Wow. Welcome to MiceChat. What a wonderful first impression you've made by insulting one of our columnists. Why don't you learn a little of Kevin's background before you start flinging mud, eh?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast