Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

7/8: Belle of the Ball, Pt. III

Steve concludes the story behind the Disneyland Railroad's Presidential Car, the Lilly Belle; Part Three. Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: http://miceage.micechat.com/stevedeg.../sd070808a.htm
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 7/8: Belle of the Ball, Pt. III

Thanks, Steve, for another great series of articles! I am really impressed that Ouimet had read your book in preparation for the dedication of the Ward Kimball and the Lilly Belle! I am reading it now myself and am really enjoying it!

Dan

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by dgmoran View Post
    I am really impressed that Ouimet had read your book in preparation for the dedication of the Ward Kimball and the Lilly Belle!
    Thanks, Dan.

I couldn't believe it when Ouimet said that. Needless to say, my jaw dropped to the floor! And then I saw one of his assistants scurrying about the the book under his arm!

It's really a shame he left. He had such a good understanding of the Park and what was important...

• ...my first visit to DL

I echo the thanks for the great article. And yes, it is impressive that Matt Ouimet was so into detail that he read your book. I agree that it is unfortunate that Matt's time at Disneyland was so short.

Thanks again for continuing to remind us why Disneyland is more than just a theme park (and I know I said that before, but it bears repeating!)...

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1966 View Post
    And yes, it is impressive that Matt Ouimet was so into detail that he read your book.
    Word on the street was that he sorta had a soft spot in his heart for trains. Under his leadership:

-The Ward Kimball was restored;

-The Lilly Belle was restored;

-The track was replaced;

-Ollie Johnston was honored with a special ceremony at the park, and he was given the opportunity to run his old steam engine, the Marie E, around the DL tracks;

-The tradition of sending DL rail equipment, particularly steam locomtives, to the Fullerton Railroad Days was begun;

-The Lilly Belle was re-dedicated, and the Ward Kimball was dedicated;

-He spoke at a very special, very private ceremony to honor the crew that rebuilt the Ward Kimball;

-Builder's plates were approved for engines 1 and 2.

• Don't mess with the duck!

Fantastic article and pics! I learned so much. Awesome job!

• Oo-de-lally

Great articleand pics. Lots of good info
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• ...my first visit to DL

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Word on the street was that he sorta had a soft spot in his heart for trains.
    Cool...and again, you're right. Its too bad that he didn't hang around longer...he seemed to posess a little bit of the spirit of Walt that is so missing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Word on the street was that he sorta had a soft spot in his heart for trains. Under his leadership:

-The Ward Kimball was restored;

-The Lilly Belle was restored;

-The track was replaced;

-Ollie Johnston was honored with a special ceremony at the park, and he was given the opportunity to run his old steam engine, the Marie E, around the DL tracks;

-The tradition of sending DL rail equipment, particularly steam locomtives, to the Fullerton Railroad Days was begun;

-The Lilly Belle was re-dedicated, and the Ward Kimball was dedicated;

-He spoke at a very special, very private ceremony to honor the crew that rebuilt the Ward Kimball;

-Builder's plates were approved for engines 1 and 2.
    You've definitely proved your point. I had no idea that he was such a rail fan! He will be missed!

Dan

•   
    • Ralzap

Steve, How can one approach a cast member for a ride. Obviously it is not somethng you can demand, so how should you apporach it. The trains at Disneyland have always been my favorites. I have the Tyco E.S. Marsh, the Bachmann E.P Ripley, and the new Bachmann Lily bell train models. + several monorails... I enjoy them all.
    Thanks for the great articles.
    Ralzap

• 525,600 minutes...

three blocks from the happiest place on earth

do u know what date that diane keaton picture was taken? i think i was there that day cus i saw her in line for the monorail.

Steve,

This was an excellent read. I have, in recent years, become infatuated with the rich history of the Disneyland Railroad. Back in 2006 I was able to return to Disneyland with my Wife and for the first time with my 4 year old daughter. It was a wonderful time full of magical moments. One of those was our second night there. Granted it was more of a personal magic moment, not shared by my wife or daughter. It was late and the park was closing we had just caught a last ride on Splash Mountain (my wife was soaked). As we were headed back towards New Orleans Square we saw that the train was in the station and quickly decided that it might be easier on our feet to catch a ride on the railroad back to the park entrance. We hopped aboard and were joined by a very friendly Cast Member for our ride back. As we got underway I happened to glance back and saw the Lily Belle. I was floored, I have never seen her before, or at least never knew to look for her in my younger years. I was so excited and I remember reading once that if you ask sometimes they will say yes. This goes for many things at Disneyland. So I asked the cast member if it would be possible to ride in the Lily Belle. This is the part where I wish I could say he said yes. Unfortunately it was a no, he told me I could go to Town Hall and ask there and they might say yes. I of course in my enthusiasm did just that. I was of course rebuffed again. So sad to say I was only able to watch her as she was pulled along. Regardless, it was a treat just to be one car away from her.
    After reading your article I was floored again. I had no idea that she was in storage for so many years from the 90's until 2005. When we went it was March 2006. That is so cool that I got to see her, so fresh from a renovation. So from one Disneyland fan to another, thanks for "plussing" my experience.

Bravo, great series.

My friends and I got to spend about 45 minutes riding the Lilly Belle back in March. Some of my friends got pictures and shot video. I'm gonna have to renew pestering them to cough them up!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by ralzap View Post
    Steve, How can one approach a cast member for a ride. Obviously it is not somethng you can demand, so how should you apporach it. The trains at Disneyland have always been my favorites. I have the Tyco E.S. Marsh, the Bachmann E.P Ripley, and the new Bachmann Lily bell train models. + several monorails... I enjoy them all.
    Thanks for the great articles.
    Ral, getting a ride is just as much dependant on luck as timing. A conductor needs to chaperon any guests aboard the car, so an extra conductor will need to be on hand. This is best accomplished when the conductors change shifts. You can simply request a ride at Main Street Station. They may ask you to come back at a later time.

Another method is to go to City Hall and request a ride. Some members of the Carolwood Pacific Historical Society have had luck accessing the car if they present their membership cards at City Hall.

For the record, I never thought I would get a ride myself. Back in November, I wanted to take my son on a cab ride. We requested that, but the engine crew turned us down. The conductor who made the request felt bad, and asked if we wanted to ride the Lilly Belle instead, to which we heartily agreed!

Anyway, good luck!
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 07-09-2008 at 08:28 AM.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by lovedisney33 View Post
    do u know what date that diane keaton picture was taken? i think i was there that day cus i saw her in line for the monorail.
    Nope, sorry to say I don't know when that photo was taken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast