• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

7/10: Princes, Plates & Pyro

Kevin catches us up on Walt Disney World, Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky071008a.htm
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• For a new Gotham!

Re: 7/10: Princes, Plates & Pyro

I'm so glad they're updating The Nine Dragons. I've only eaten there once, but it was like any other middle-quality Chinese restaurant I've ever eaten in, but more expensive. I really hope they improve the atmosphere and/or the food.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: 7/10: Princes, Plates & Pyro

"This particular show used a soundtrack of '80s songs, most of them with a patriotic bent (think "Born in the U.S.A.")"

Sounds like Disney doesn't understand what that song is about any more than Ronald Reagan did.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

While I like the 90 days out reservations much better than 180 days, I'm not at all in favor of NO reservations as Kevin suggested. That scenario would result in hour long lines at EVERY restaurant during prime time, with no way around it. I don't want to blow an hour of prime park time just waiting for food. I'm all in favor of the 90 day window, but I also wish Disney would keep a larger percentage of tables open for same day reservations and walkins. I think they could still fill the tables, and keep a lot of last minute folks happy. I always feel sad to see the family of 8 being led up to a restaurant by their dad, who then finds out that there are absolutely NO tables available, and then has to tell the kids that they have to keep on looking for food. Very sad, and avoidable, IMO.

While I fully take advantage of the 180 day reservations, I'm in favor of reducing that to 90 days out, but they should limit the amount of reservations accepted at each restaurant, so that some people have the option of getting a table there as walk-ins, even though a wait might be required.

We ate at Nine Dragons last September and did not enjoy it. I am glad they are redoing it. I would love it if they would change the reservations to 90 days out including the castle. But I am very disappointed about the changes to charachter meals. Liberty Tree Tavern was one of our favorites and we always ate at it. We love the menu and to be able to see charachters is another must do. We purposly plan meals based on charachters so we can avoid as many lines as possible.

• May the F=ma be with you

The fireworks were otherwise unremarkable, people told me. Nothing but shells in the sky. No ground-level fountains or stars to speak of.
    I was surprised, therefore, to see building-level fountains in the show on the Fourth of July. Are they new? The shells themselves not only explode "behind" the Great Movie Ride, but also off to both sides slightly. You would need a wide-angle lens to get all of them, though it's not "in the round" at all.
    No, the in-park launchers (1.4) are not new. MGM was the first Disney park to feature the proximity pyro (in SitS), followed by DLP, DLR, then MK. There are 5 bunkers located on the roofs of buildings on top of and on the sides of GMR. There were 2 additional platforms which launched more pyro and contained the giant Mickey. However, they were removed a couple of months ago.

EPCOT's tag is spectacular. Launching just about 2500 shells in 4:30 minutes. MK gave EPCOT a run for its money this year with its new show though.
    I agree that they could have used some more perimeter shells at different points in the show but that is a logistical nightmare in terms of personnel movement in and around the park and backstage areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Dear Kevin,

Every week I fear for the day I have to read your update. I am growing very weary of your consistent complaining and nagging regarding everything Disney World. I don't know, maybe you have grown a bit jaded after all of these years. I go to Disneyland in CA about twice a year and to florida every two years or so. I don't need you reviewing things with all of your pings and rants. Some things have to change and some things won't be as good as you WANT them to be. I consider myself to be a pretty big fan of the parks and know quite a bit of history about what has happened, been there, and what is changing. I really wish you would cheer up your updates or sign them on to someone else who can give us updates, even if they are negative, and do it as positively as possible. Again, I am growing very weary. PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! Either stop going or learn how to love what you have.

Sincerely,
    Petchaurus

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Petchaurus View Post
    Every week I fear for the day I have to read your update.
    Hey, you found your answer allready! If you don't like them, I suggest that you don't read them.

I don't need you reviewing things with all of your pings and rants. Some things have to change and some things won't be as good as you WANT them to be.
    Wait a minute: A review by Kevin Yee, that includes Kevin Yee's opinion? Why, that's just horrible and unheard of. He should be one of the hundreds of 'Disney typists' out on the internet, just regurgitating Disney press releases. That's rosy enough, right?

I really wish you would cheer up your updates or sign them on to someone else who can give us updates, even if they are negative, and do it as positively as possible.
    They've got plenty of reviews like this, and they're all at Disney.com (GASP!)

Either stop going or learn how to love what you have.
    I'll flip this around: Either stop reading, or enjoy his articles for what they are (fresh, detailed, and informative looks at ALL aspects of WDW).
    -Monorail Man

• MiceAge Columnist

Either stop going or learn how to love what you have.
    Ah, but I would argue that I *do* love Walt Disney World (and Disneyland). The opposite of love is not hate, but indifference.

There is no enormous fan base and galaxy of websites for Fun Spot or Old Town (the carnival in Kissimmee), for the simple fact that people must not care that much.

To discuss Disney as much as we do, and to hold it to a high standard, only comes about *because* we care.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Dear Kevin,

Every week I fear for the day I have to read your update.
    "Have to" is a bit inaccurate, isn't it?

Kevin,

I will you give you this. You have some supporters, however, you handled my words much classier than they chose to. I speak my mind only because this is probably the best Disney site on the web and keeps me on top of all the important information. I don't dislike you or your articles, I just get tired of being reminded of everything that isn't anymore and always hearing about what is wrong with the parks. I feel it is a common tone throughout the site and that makes me sad. Going to Disneyland is one of the best possible things I can think of and coming on here and hearing all the negativity makes me a little sad. I am fully aware that things are not right in places. I am fully aware that things were and can be different. For example: I do not dislike California Adventures as many people who visit this site do. Am I excited for the changes? yes. Do I feel that the park was underdeveloped? Yes. I'm sure Disneyland was not as crazy good in the beginning as it has been in its prime. It was probably, for lack of a better word, underdeveloped. I whole heartedly am thrilled by the information this site delivers and just wish the tone could be a bit more spirited. I speak my opinion just as you speak yours and I am glad to see you respect that. That's all. I recognize I may not have done it in the most tactful manner but I'm human, as we all are. Hopefully, there are no ill feelings and write on Disney Warrior.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Petchaurus, I can understand your feelings - I've shared them myself somewhat over the years. I've just gotten to the point where I read a lot of the online information from this and other Disney fan sites with a big grain of salt. I don't go to the parks and see overflowing trashcans and paint chipping off and burned out light bulbs. I see the Haunted Mansion and Pirates and Soarin' and Indy and all of the incredible decor and landscaping that I've loved since my first visit way back in 1963. I'm interested to read about what's going on, both good and bad. I'm just not going to let the bad take away from my limited and oh so valuable time in the parks.

• MiceAge Columnist

I'm sure Disneyland was not as crazy good in the beginning as it has been in its prime. It was probably, for lack of a better word, underdeveloped. I whole heartedly am thrilled by the information this site delivers and just wish the tone could be a bit more spirited.
    The thing is, that's not a safe assumption. If you get to know the Imagineers and front line workers from 1955 (and I have gotten to know a few, really!) then you'll hear from them that Disneyland in 1955 does not equal DCA in 2001.

Disneyland really was revolutionary, and had an amazing effect on people. DCA has, shall we say, a different kind of effect. It's the nature of the experiences that were different, and very unusual compared to the rest of the entertainment world. Also: the "execution" at early Disneyland was remarkable.

The tone of my articles is meant to be one of rebuke, and perhaps a slight touch of snark. The attitude isn't aimed at the general population; it's aimed squarely at the current Disney management.

There really are some great Disney sites out there on the web, and I would even say that a majority of them are 100% positive, all the time. Do not misunderstand me: I think there's definitely a place for them, and I frequent them myself too.

But there's also call for a place like MiceAge and MiceChat, where the "different" look at Disney yields new understanding, new fruit, and yes, often it goads the decision makers in a new direction.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather