• Incognito

Blog Entries

Cell phones ringing in the office - rude?

What's your take on this?

I work in a small office space (500 square feet) with 4 other people and 2 of them can't seem to get it in their heads that their cellphones ringing, loudly I might add, interrupt us others and quite frankly, scare the crap outta me!

My other coworker and I have told/asked them time and again to turn it off or put them on vibrate but apparently they've both fallen off a roof one too many times or inhaled paint fumes too much or have sat staring at a computer monitor for so long their brain cells have begun to vanish and they cant comprehend their rudeness!

Anyway, am I making too much of a big deal of this or am I in the right?

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: Cell phones ringing in the office - rude?

Not only is it rude, it is unprofessional. You're absolutely in the right.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Original Mice-Chatter

You are right- and here at my office if you don't turn it off or down- the managers can crack down on you. I am in a horrible part of the office where people tend to play music loudly, play games online loudly..etc....I sent many complaints before anything was done.

I feel for you!

• off in lala land

Cells phone ringing do not belong in the office, bascially out of respect for your co-workers and professionalism int he workplace. Most, if not all, have a vibrate feature, and should be used in the office.

What you should do, is bring your alarm clock to the office, and set the buzzer to go off at random times during the day. Let them know, that the buzzer annoying them is how annoying their phone is to you.
    ...it's been a long time.

• The Unknown Princess

I understand your fustration. I would ask them to turn it down to a lower setting. I have a cell phone and I have it on at all times through the day and night. That's so my family can contact me at all times. I do turn it down to a lower setting but I don't put it on vibrate because I can't wear it while I'm sitting down and leaving it to vibrate on the desk annoys me more than the ringers itself.

Perhaps talking to your supervisor or higher up would be a good thing. There are some offices/business that you can't even HAVE a cell phone with you. You have to keep it in the locker, your car or not even bring it.

If it does get to be a huge problem, your higher up can make it a NO cell phone area.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Total and complete derail:

This thread represents a major milestone at MiceChat:

10,000th Thread!!!!!!!!!!
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• insufferable know-it-all

Whoa! It IS!

As far as cell phones. I don't know. I work in an office where someone's phone rings all the time (not necessarily the same someone, but there is fairly frequent ringing). Everyone keeps their phones on and it doesn't seem to matter.

I know that I keep mine particularly loud because I have issues hearing it (incidentally, mine only vibrates on its loudest setting, go figure). But I also hit the button to STOP the ringing the moment I can touch the phone, even before answering it.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• oh bugger

Quote Originally Posted by dizzydisneydee
    I do turn it down to a lower setting but I don't put it on vibrate because I can't wear it while I'm sitting down and leaving it to vibrate on the desk annoys me more than the ringers itself.
    I turned my cell to vibrate and set it on the desk, it scared me when it rang, it was louder than if I had the ringer on. I keep mine in my pocket on vibrate but a certain someone behind me doesn't feel that it is necessary to turn hers off.

Her ringer has different tones depending on who is calling, an R&B love song when her husband calls, some surf pop song when her son calls, ghetto rap when her girls call.... i love it

• Disney Memory Maker

I agree that people should leave it on vibrate. Heck, I have one of the simplest cell phones in the world and yet it does have the vibrate feature.

Quote Originally Posted by mamabot
    Total and complete derail:

This thread represents a major milestone at MiceChat:

10,000th Thread!!!!!!!!!!
    Really, because on the homepage, it says Threads: 9,579
    (sorry to get stay )
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

HATE IT. We all have phones on our desks - if you need to be contacted, tell your family and friends to use that. I don't even have my phone on during work hours. We make fun of people who get calls... and the ones who talk loudly as they're on the phone.

Call phones shouldn't be used in the bathroom, either. Im' sure Aunt Mildred is pleased to hear me tinkle.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

Here in my office, we use our cell phones in conjunction with our office phones (mainly because our office provides and pays for our cell phones), so our phones regularly ring here and don't bother anyone.

But in a real business office, I'm sure I'd have to have mine on vibrate, or really, really low volume.
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

• /sigh

It used to be a BIG NO NO for our group. But now, our department floor is very large, and mostly made up of programmers and contractors, that EVERYONE uses their cell phones as a necessity, especially since we are no longer customer service based or deal with the public. It's really no biggie anymore. There's no difference between talking on the work phone or cell phone. It's funny though, when you start to know everyone's special rings go off.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• That Guy

It doesn't bother me at all, but the fact is, if it bothers you, then it is a real issue. I wish that your co-workers would be more considerate, especially if the cell phones are used for non-work issues, your bosses should really step up and have them stop.

I espically think it is lame if they have stupid ring tones like hard core rap ones that drop the F-bomb, so much for 'keepin it classy!'

• All you need is LOVE

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    What's your take on this?

I work in a small office space (500 square feet) with 4 other people and 2 of them can't seem to get it in their heads that their cellphones ringing, loudly I might add, interrupt us others and quite frankly, scare the crap outta me!

My other coworker and I have told/asked them time and again to turn it off or put them on vibrate but apparently they've both fallen off a roof one too many times or inhaled paint fumes too much or have sat staring at a computer monitor for so long their brain cells have begun to vanish and they cant comprehend their rudeness!

Anyway, am I making too much of a big deal of this or am I in the right?
    Yes you are right so rude... Need a intro to play like before the movies when they come into work.