Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Waiting for the stork

Parents, I need your opinion

Odd question for you

but heres the situation:

I am a licensed family childcare provider

to earn a bit of extra money (for Disney trips etc) I was thinking of offering a parents night out...now I was planning on sending flyers to my clients for a specific Friday night (little kids) and my friends/ aquantences for a specific Saturday night (big kids)

I am limiting it to 5 kids per night

6 pm-9 am
    (bring a sleeping bag, jammies and favorite stuffed animal)
    Pizza, Movie, Games, Stories, Fun Fun Fun
    $50 per child (very reasonable for my area)

my questions are

If a friend presented this to you would you be offended or intrested?

would you do it?

I am sending a letter explaining to my friends that this is an experimental program if I get a possative response I plan to make it a semi regular event.

I also added in the letter that I chose them as part of my focus group because they know me well and so do their children.

but I really do not want to offend any of my friends.....

how would you react to something like this.

I am asking you all this first to get a feel for peoples reactions, again I don't want to PO my friends (and clients) but I need to earn some extra $$$

I also want to continue to do it (about every 6-8 weeks if it works) making it different and fun each time...

you thoughts?

TIA
    ~Tinkerbelle
    procrastibating

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: Parents, I need your opinion

I think it's a great idea! I don't see any reason for your friends to be offended. Worst case scenario, they don't want to do it. But I can't see why they wouldn't. What a fun idea!
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• The Unknown Princess

Not many people would offer something like this. Since you are a licensed care provider and have the clientle(sp?) already, I don't see why they would object to it.

To have a night out with someone taking care of their children that they trust is an absolute dream for most parents.

Here is a question though. Are most of your clients/friends parents to an only child? If they are then this works out well, but if you have more than one child and possibly different age groups then it may present a hurdle.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

I think this is a great idea, if it was a hit you could even expand it to be a theme type night and charge a bit more. Like a harvest day, carmel apples, pumpkin carving, etc.... or a kids make christmas gift ideas.
    You also might what to think about a weekend afternoon - give parents time to run errands...

• insufferable know-it-all

I think it's a terrific idea. I thought it was a little expensive at first, but then I realized it was an overnight thing- what a deal!

However, you *might* want to expand the end time to like 11am, so if Mommy and Daddy have too much fun, they can sleep in/breakfast in bed/drive back from wherever.

And by setting it at 11am instead of noon, if they're running a little behind, they'll probably still pick up by noon - whereas if you set it at noon, goodness knows how much of your afternoon they might suck up.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Waiting for the stork

Quote Originally Posted by dizzydisneydee

Here is a question though. Are most of your clients/friends parents to an only child? If they are then this works out well, but if you have more than one child and possibly different age groups then it may present a hurdle.

2 part answer

first off Friday night would be marketed to my clients (kids 4 and under, yes they have siblings, but they are close in age)

Saturday nigth is geared towards 7 and up but younger siblings are absolutly welcome (otherwise it's not a night out for the parents, so what's the point?)

which bring up two new issues

first if you have 2 or 3 kids in a family would it still be worth it for parents to spend $50 per child? one the one hand it's expensive, on the other if you have 3 kids how oftain do you get to go out all night?

second question/issue on the Saturday night where it's bigger kids and many pre-teen I will have to seperate the boys and girls
    party and activities together boys sleep in one room girls in the other, (Me in a doorway) with the little kids that doesn't matter...

Quote Originally Posted by MNTGIRL
    if it was a hit you could even expand it to be a theme type night and charge a bit more. Like a harvest day, carmel apples, pumpkin carving, etc.... or a kids make christmas gift ideas.
    I was thinking of that, I thought in OCT I'd have a halloween party the weekend before (pumpkin carving and all) in December I love the idea of making gifts for their parents (I have tons of art supplies)

I was also thinking I might do a New Years eve (You can charge around $100 a child here and get it)

Your thoughts?

and thanks for all the great ideas so far, keep them coming please, I want to make this succede

~Tink
    procrastibating

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

I think I have an incredible and newfound respect for you Tinkerbelle.

Your friends and clients will be happy about the opportunity. If I was offered this type of opportunity, I would do it in a heart beat. Parents always need adult time, over night alone time together is precious.

The price is right, as is the time. The day care centers we have been to that offered Parents Night Out charged $10 per child for 3 hours. $50 for an overnighter is very reasonable.

Themes will work well for the kids. You might even have them vote ahead of time, so they feel included. Majority rules.

I wish you were my day care provider.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• The Unknown Princess

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    which bring up two new issues

first if you have 2 or 3 kids in a family would it still be worth it for parents to spend $50 per child? one the one hand it's expensive, on the other if you have 3 kids how oftain do you get to go out all night?

~Tink
    Perhaps if they have 3 children give them like a lower rate such as $125 for 3 children. Its like a discount for giving you more business. Besides, if they have a great enough time, in about 9 months you might even have MORE business

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I think it's brilliant! Go for it!
    A signature should go here.

• Man O Lantern

Tink~~ I love it all just as you've presented it, actually. What a smart way to make some money, it's something you love to do, something you're good at, something you're equipped to do, and even if you only have 2 kids instead of five, you're still making some money. I'd keep at it!

But as a parent of 3 kids, I couldn't afford it....we do overnighters about once a month, but we take them to my in-laws or my mom's. We're doing it this weekend, as a matter of fact.

If I had one kiddo, though, I'd be ALL over it! How fun! And $50 would be reasonable up here, too. Our school does fundraisers here and there and from 6-9 p.m., it's $30 per kid! Overnight is a WAY better deal for $50!

• Waiting for the stork

Quote Originally Posted by dizzydisneydee
    Perhaps if they have 3 children give them like a lower rate such as $125 for 3 children. Its like a discount for giving you more business. Besides, if they have a great enough time, in about 9 months you might even have MORE business

That's a great idea! it's not such a huge dicount that I lose anything

but it would make it more reasonable for them...I think I'll do it, (if they ask)

I also have been thinking, some of the parents of the younger ones may not be comfortable with all night I may offer a choice of 6-midnight for $40

Again, your thoughts?
    procrastibating

• insufferable know-it-all

I think discounting for multiple kids is an excellent idea - after all, these are your best customers anyway, and they spend a huge portion of their incomes on your services, so giving them a "break" would be a way of "thanking" them (not to mention making their using your services more doable!) Maybe make it $50 for the first kid, and $30 for each additional kid from the same family. $80 is still doable for parents of two, and keeps the price low enough that taking the kids with them to some event they'd like to enjoy wouldn't be "worth it" in savings And $110 for 3 kids, if you're willing to accept that amount, would, I think, still be very doable for parents of three.

The other thing is, introduce a sense of scarcity. For example, would you only want to do this once a month? Schedule it for just once a month (eg: The second Friday of each month, etc), so that parents plan ahead for it. Also, if you do it this way, give it at least 3 months to take hold, as far as testing the concept.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

Tinkerbelle, this is a WONDERFUL service you are offering--and you're a helluva smart business woman I might add.

I am with stink about the cost though. It gets pricey for more than one kid really. Lucky for me I have a built-in babysitter. (Hey, I've had to wait a looooong time for this day to come! )

Good luck!
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I would do it in a heartbeat!

My husband and I have only had ONE overnight date in almost FOUR YEARS!! How sad is that? We just don't really have anyone available to us like that!

These are all great ideas!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Waiting for the stork

Ok taking all this into concideration how about $50 for the first child $40 for the second and $30 for the third all must be siblings for the discount

so in essence
    1 kid $50
    2 kids $90
    3 kids $120

oes this seem reasonable?

and to the comment about scarsity, I was thinking if the first one goes over well I will do it aprox every 6-8 weeks. If this test goes well I will send another flyer with the next 3 dates and themes on it.... Oct (dates) Halloween activities
    December (dates) lkids art night-
    Possably an New years eve for the big kids
    Feb (I need to think of a theme)

with a reminder that space is limited, register early
    procrastibating

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast