• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

To videotape or not to videotape. That is the question.

We are heading out to California this week. We don't make it out there as often as I would like. (The plane ride from Pittsburgh is five hours long.) I tend to take losts of pictures and scrapbook the Disney ones. (I look at photos more often then video.) So here is my question...Should I lug around our video recorder (it's actually quite small but if I bring it I also need to back the recharger, which is not so small) to capture the moments at DL, Hollywood and the San Diego Zoo?

I have done it before to preserve the moments, but to tell you the truth, I have never watched what I have taped. I guess I do it just to know I have it in case a certain parade or fireworks goes away. To have a bit of history.

Your opinion would be appreciated. So what do you think?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: To videotape or not to videotape. That is the question.

If you won't watch it again then don't bother bringing it. There will always be other people's video of parades and shows that you can watch.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Princess of my own world

What I did on my first big trip to WDW was I took a trip journal and every night I wrote down what we did, how I felt, anything fun/cute/odd that had happened. I know I'll look over that a lot more than I would a video. I was even thinking about typing it up and putting it in a scrapbook with the appropriate pictures.

This may be a better solution instead of lugging around your camcorder.
    Visit my blog: Shutters & Scribbles

Check out my class's Donors Choose page:
    Wildcat Projects
    **Donors Choose is a place where teachers post projects for their classes and request materials and/or technology for that project. People then can make donations starting at just $1 to help fund that project. This is a great way to support teachers and their classes!**

• Circle of Ancients

If it was something very personal taking place at DL like my child's first time seeing Mickey Mouse, my son proposing to his girlfriend in front of the castle or seeing a friend I hadn't seen in 25 years , I would definitely videotape it.

For the parades and fireworks and other every day things that happen in DL, I probably wouldn't videotape them . I know me and I would be so focused on making sure the video tape was good that I would actually miss part of just enjoying the moment for what it was.

The only thing I've ever not regretted videotaping is the vow renewal ceremony my hubby and I did last year. I was so caught up in all of it , that the twenty or so minutes it took seemed like they were over instantly. I would have liked to watch it again later so I could see all the things I missed that people told me about later.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    We are heading out to California this week. We don't make it out there as often as I would like. (The plane ride from Pittsburgh is five hours long.) I tend to take losts of pictures and scrapbook the Disney ones. (I look at photos more often then video.) So here is my question...Should I lug around our video recorder (it's actually quite small but if I bring it I also need to back the recharger, which is not so small) to capture the moments at DL, Hollywood and the San Diego Zoo?

I have done it before to preserve the moments, but to tell you the truth, I have never watched what I have taped. I guess I do it just to know I have it in case a certain parade or fireworks goes away. To have a bit of history.

Your opinion would be appreciated. So what do you think?
    YOu don't have to video the WHOLE trip...just moments in time.......I think in the end, you'll be happier that you did - after all, isn't that why you have a recorder???

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    YOu don't have to video the WHOLE trip...just moments in time.......I think in the end, you'll be happier that you did - after all, isn't that why you have a recorder???
    You nailed it on the head DL Daddy. Why did I buy a video recorder if I wasn't ever going to use it? Sometimes you just need someone to hit you over the head and say "DUH!"

I will charge it up tonight and make sure I have extra tapes and bring it along. Hopefully I'll get some good shots.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm off to California tomorrow!

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I say skip the video and just enjoy your trip! Things look different as seen through a lens, and sometimes we're so busy trying to preserve a moment that we forget to actually immerse ourselves in it and enjoy it to the fullest.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Lonestar Louisianian

I am the same way. I just got back from vacation where I brought both the videocamera and my digital still camera. I never pulled the video camera out of the bag. Still, had my foresight been working that day, I would've loved to film my little niece catching her first fish. You just never know.

I say cart it along. Just film snippets of things and use pictures to fill in the gaps. If you're handy on the computer, you can edit them together for a very nice memento of your trip that you can share with others.

And even if you don't film a single thing, you'll still have that option available, which is something you would not have had you not brought the videocamera with you in the first place.

Have a great trip and have FUN!