• Minion

Car insurance for a 16 year old?

Does anyone have any advice about getting auto insurance for me (i'm 16)? Under my parents plan, I'd have to pay about 2,700 a year with SafeCo...I don't know the first thing about any car insurance company's. Anyone know of good ones that have Stand Alone Policy's for teen drivers in California?
    Please let me know, Thanks!

Re: Car insurance for a 16 year old?

I think it would next to impossible to get auto insurance on your own. You would have to be covered under you parents plan. It doesn't matter who you go through, as all the companies are going to charge an arm and a leg.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

In AZ if you live with your parents and you are a minor then you must purchase insurance under them. This also should save you some $$. My boys both still live at home, ages 23 and 19 and are carried under our policy to save them $$ but they both have their own cars.

Some other things you can do to lower your rates is to have good grades 3.0 or better will usually save you at least 10%.

Some drivers ed classes will also save you $$ on your insurance.

Call some insurance places up and ask them what kind of rate you can get and what you can do to lower it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I would recommend you take special Drivers Ed. Classes that give you discounts for insurance. Pratt is right, most Drivers Ed. programs give 10% discounts.

But more than likely, you will be added to your parents insurance plan. But hey, the good thing about that is that you will be able to drive their cars also .

Another bit of advice, when you go to college, think about getting a student loan. They can be used to help pay off your insurance bills, etc. Of course, you will need to pay back the loan money after you graduate college, but they have easy student loan payment plans that are designed to be more suitable for you and in accordance to the amount of money you are bringing in when you start earning an income.

I got a student loan just so I could start paying off my auto insurance.

I also heard some auto insurance agencies give discounts to students. Don't know if that is entirely true though.

• That Guy

I wish I had some magical advice for you but unfortunetly it's super expensive. Do you work, that could help off set the fee. Also, I got this advice when I started driving and I'll share it with you. Always remember when you put the key in the starter that you are controlling two tons of metal, and you could easily kill you. your friends, and others. Drive safe man

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

There is usually a "good student" discount and by being on your parents' bill you can usually get in on the "multiple vehicle" discount as well. Unfortunately, you have to earn lower rates through years of good driving.

Best of luck and stay safe out there!
    A signature should go here.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    There is usually a "good student" discount and by being on your parents' bill you can usually get in on the "multiple vehicle" discount as well. Unfortunately, you have to earn lower rates through years of good driving.

Age also plays a role in how much someone would have to pay. I'm not sure if it is the same everywhere, but here, the younger you are, the more you pay.

• decorating

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post

Both good.
    Plus, cause you're a guy, you are cursed till, oh, 25 or so...

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Car insurance is VERY expensive, and almost impossible to get on your own - just have your parents add you to their plan - it will make your life a lot easier.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Down Pluto!

Sorry. Too many irresponsible 16 year-olds before you have screwed it all up for future generations. You will pay through the nose (or your parents will) for those idiots. The only thing that will change it is if all teenagers have zero accidents over a many year period. We all know that will never happen, so - welcome to reality. Being an "adult" sucks big time.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

1) Move out of LA (obvious reasons)

2) Move out of California (close to 40% of the premium in California is fraud related costs)

3) Pray

4) www.esurance.com is aimed at younger drivers and their marketing demographic of the same.

5) Remember, not all insurance policies (home and auto) are written the same. Some give more, some less within the text of the policy. Ultimately you end up paying for the service and the coverage the policy provides. Get quotes from all companies that are credible (and if you can make sure their AM Best Rating is high enough). And with any age and policy, review it every time you renew or get a new policy to make sure you're sufficiently covered!!!
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

• Minion

Thanks all for your advice!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

There is a reason insurance is so expensive for young adults, they get into accidents quite a bit. It's all about the facts and the fact is, the less experienced you are the most likely you are to total your vehicle. Without get blasted for age discrimiation, once you get over 75 this is prevelant as well.

Good luck! Getting on your parent's policy is really the best option.