• insufferable know-it-all

Armchair Marketeering/Imagineering: What kind of stores would you like to see in DL?

Some recent merchandise questions kind of brought this to mind. What types of stores (and associated merchandise) would you like to see Disney open in the park or DTD?

A past suggestion I made was that they really ought to have a plus-size store. Since plus-sizers make up 25% (and growing) of the US population, and since they seem to be a slightly higher percentage of the DL parkgoing population (myself included, of course), Disney should try to capture that market better. I know for myself, it's extremely frustrating to look around at all that adorable stuff they sell, and then discovering they don't bother to carry it in my size, and that, in fact, the few things which are carried in larger sizes usually suck (with the exception of the XXL retro blue girl shirt out right now, WTG Disney! And of course I bought it!) I know oftentimes, I and others like me don't even bother shopping because the experience is so frustrating and we literally EXPECT not to find our size. But if there was, say, a "Queen of Hearts" shop, where Disney would carry a semi-decent and reasonably changing variety of popular designs in plus sizes, there are many who ordinarily would pass on the shirt shopping that would go in and look, giving Disney more sales opportunities.

Okay, but that was my old idea, here's a new one:

I'd like to see a Main Street Stationery store. It fits in with the theme of the area, and Disney could use it to sell things like Disney writing (and printing!) papers, scrapbooking supplies, and how about this: do custom invitation/card printing! Imagine the added wedding business! Having it in the store, of course, would allow Disney to sell them to more than just the people booking Fairytale Weddings, they could do other weddings, birthdays, quincenieras, sweet 16's, etc. Also, I could see them coming up with a Christmas card package that incorporates either people's own photos, or cooperates with the Kodak folks for the in-park photos. I think a little shop space, the size, say, of the music shop (maybe put it in that little back area behind clothiers, near the opera house parade gate?) would be great for it. And, of course, I would like to see Main Street return to more specialized shops (except the emporium, of course).

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

Re: Armchair Marketeering/Imagineering: What kind of stores would you like to see in DL?

One store I would love to see is an expanded music store that sells music from all of the other Disney Themeparks. Considering that people on ebay and other various websites are making a killing on selling the numerous WDW CD's, I strongly believe that Disney could make a substantial profit if they chose to sell it's other park CD's.

• My laughing place

Re: Armchair Marketeering/Imagineering: What kind of stores would you like to see in DL?

I would be happy enough if the stores stocked merchandise themed to the Land and not all the sam stuff in each store !!

Re: Armchair Marketeering/Imagineering: What kind of stores would you like to see in

Quote Originally Posted by DsnyFvr
    I would be happy enough if the stores stocked merchandise themed to the Land and not all the sam stuff in each store !!
    Amen!

I also agree with Morigoon about the plus-size stores. Disneyland actually has a decent selection of XXL clothing though, however if you require XXXL- be prepared for a day long adventure to find a scrap of clothing. They DO exist, but it's only in a half-dozen styles and they are ALWAYS out of stock.
    Just look at those ECVs plowing around, this is an untapped market.

But more than everything- specialty stores. Basically everystore in the park (esp the larger ones) will have 80-90% the same merchandise. And while being in the thick of it myself, I understand the philosophy behind it (having the generic top selling stuff in more places increases sales, despite what any naysayer might say) it also makes shopping a dreadfully dull rountine of "ah, let's just storm the Emporium/World of Disney on the way, all this junk is the same anyways".
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• Minion

Lightbulb Re: Armchair Marketeering/Imagineering: What kind of stores would you like to see in DL?

It would be great to have character themed shops throughout the park.
    So... If you are a Donald Duck fan ... you could go into the Donald Duck Shoppe and buy all the hats, shirts, keychains, magnets, books, pins .... that you heart desired.
    "He gets around you know he knows all the pretty girls." ~ Walt Disney

This seems like a fun thread to resurrect.

My mom, who doesn't ride attractions due to back issues, primarily enjoyed DL for the shopping. Wherever our family went in the park, she was going to find a different shop with different merchandise to look at (and buy!). That was her entertainment.

After the "Presslerization" of Disneyland, all the shops started carrying basically the same junk, and she started getting bored really quickly. Add to this the fact that Eisner did away with ticket books, meaning that a shopper like her could no longer enjoy the day for a fraction of the cost (because she didn't need the ticket book, just admission), and she very quickly dropped of the DL radar.

More specialized shopping would enhance the guest experience as well as provide more opportunities for sales.

Even an all-plush shop... not just the area in the Emporium, but how about a uniquely-themed, all-plush store somewhere either in Critter Country or Fantasyland? Store "shelves" could be themed habitats for the relevant characters, plus more generic areas to cycle through more seasonal pieces.

Another thing I'd like to see is a photography studio. You know the kind: where you get all dressed up to a different time period and place and take the sepia-tone photos. I could see this working on Main Street, in Frontierland, or Fantasyland. Actually, it could probably easily be worked into my Fantasyland expansion idea by putting it somewhere adjacent to #12 Cherry Tree Lane (Mary Poppins attraction/tea house).

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Re: Armchair Marketeering/Imagineering: What kind of stores would you like to see in

I've always thought it would be a good idea to open the Disneyland Stock Exchange on Main Street. You could buy a single (or more) share(s) of Disney stock on your choice of fancy certificates. Seems like a natural.

Jumping over the DCA, let's have a nice mid-range eatery over on "Route 66" and replace the McDonald's with a Bob's Big Boy.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I agree with stores themed to lands!

And the stationery one... as long as it sells pre=printed cards - birthdays, graduation, etc.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

One thing that I would like to see (come back) is unique merchandise that you can only get at DL, and in some cases, only in that particular shop AT DL.

I really get annoyed when I walk through a shop (and this goes for Universal as well as DL) and see merchandise that's waaay out of theme for that shop. Its just bad show.

If I'm in Frontierland, I don't expect to see Incredibles merchandise. Just as I don't want to see Coonskin caps in Tomorrowland.

Maybe its a picky point, but its all part of the show.
    Last edited by Scarecrow; 10-26-2005 at 08:04 AM.

• I'm your huckleberry.

I miss the cute stores they used to have in NOS, the purfume place, the fancy hat store, etc.

Morri - I LOVE the plus-sized idea!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

NNL: OMG a stationery shop would be PERFECT! You know... they could set up one shop as the Main Street Post Office, and put all the stationery stuff there (plus, of course, being able to buy stamps there). It begs the question: why ISN'T there a single place to buy disney greeting cards, and why the heck not? I mean, you can buy the specialized blank ones in places like Disneyana, but not general ones like you see in card shops and supermarkets. How silly for Disney not to be an outlet for their own cards!

• Hooterville, USA

I agree with everything that has been posted. Those ideas wouldn't be expensive, and they would add alot to the park. I really liked the music one, and would expand it to include ride videos. Great ideas everyone!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

Bring back the Villains store!!!!!!

And yes to the "Queen of Hearts" plus size store. Have tops that are feminine in BIG GIRL sizes, not just big mens. I can't understand how that market has gone untapped; it seems so obvious!

Oh, and if you are going to highlight something in the park, have it for purchase some where. I've wanted the Disney DDR from Innovations forever and so have a lot of other people. I almost cried when I found out it's not on the market.