Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• insufferable know-it-all

Sometimes I really hate being right.

Let me preface this. I am a republican. I voted for Bush as the lesser of two evils. I'm not personally nuts about the man. I did, however, support his push to enter Afghanistan and Iraq. However, it must end there.

A little background. Around the time we were gearing up for Iraq, my buddy told me about something his son said. Now, my buddy, let's call him J., is divorced and his ex-hosebeast is married to a military guy. So anyway, one day, while J's kids were visiting, his son asks him, "Daddy, why do we hate Syria?" This is because his stepdad was ALREADY studying maps of Syria, basically invasion planning. This is why I've been saying for a few months now, "watch, we're going to Syria next."

What to my wondering eyes should appear this evening but the headline "Tension Rises between Syria, U.S."

Now, I want our military to have the funds it needs to do a good job in Iraq. Really, I do. But I cannot support Bush's current request for fundage, because I *know* what they're going to be used for. Enough is enough. We saved the Iraqis, now let's get them going and get the hell outta the middle east already! Remember Georgie, we repubs are for LOW TAXES as well!

Grr...

Please be sure to contact your congressmen and representatives and let them know how you feel about this!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries
    Don't forget about Iran...
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• that's right!

I'm curious as to why you support saving the Iraqis and not the Syrians. Why do you support saving the Iraqis and not the Syrians?

Are you under the impression that they'd be doing this to "save" the Syrians? All I see is "tensions rising". I don't even see any pretense of "saving" the Syrians. Imposing democracy on a nation ruled by an insane crackpot like Hussein (his kids watch videos of executions instead of cartoons, for crying out loud!) is one thing. Imposing it on a normal government, is another thing entirely.

Besides, we've got our hands full with Iraq and Afghanistan. Let's not make the mistake the French and English colonialists made in pulling out too quickly. We need our resources to make sure that good, decent government is properly set up in the countries we've already gone into. If we spread our resources too thin, we're opening up a back door and letting potential dictators in. How many Latin American and African nations have already suffered the "One man, one vote"...."one time" problem?

I'm for finishing the job we've started and getting the heck outta Dodge. Don't you see they want war? We're the big guy, and everyone wants a piece of us. If enough middle eastern countries goad us into war, they might in fact unite against us. Might even get other non-arab nations to join them. You know, world war.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Greetings, Program!

Oh well......I didn't vote for the guy. All I can do now is promote peace here at home and try to be a productive member of society.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

See, that's what pisses me off so much. I *did* vote for the guy. Still prefer him over the alternative, but still pissed at what he's doing.

He's not acting very much like a Republican. Getting very "big government" on us. Of course, both candidates were big gov't types, so it's not like I had a viable choice. But I think people know I'm about |this far| from turning Libertarian anyway (just waiting for the party to get less... radical/crackpot)

• e komo mai

With all due respect to Morrigoon, you get who you voted for.

• no flash photography...

We didn't go to Iraq to "save" them. We went to get a foothold in the middle east. So, we can continue with the "war aginst terrror." It will not end any time soon.....the agenda has been set and the people voted that agenda back in office.

Many people believe everything they hear on TV and everything they are told. Sometimes blinders need to be removed to see the larger picture.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Let me preface this. I am a republican. I voted for Bush as the lesser of two evils
    That is what is tearing this country apart. There are more than two choices, people are just afraid to vote for them with the mind set that they are "Wasting their vote." Not true. America will never see a third party in office unless people start voting for them. The won't win in '08, '12, '16, or probably even in '20. But the more support behind third party candidates, a stronger contender they will become. And maybe we will be able to break away from the currupt democrats and republicans.

As far as Bush goes, this man won't be satisfied till every country in the world adopts a democratic political system. Well, democracy does not work in every case. It is not the "best" system of government. And it is not up to the U.S. (or World Police) to decide which nations need "liberating."

I strongly opposed the war in Iraq, but now that forces are there we need to get the job done and then get the hell outta there. Not spread our troops out so thin in an attempt to stray the attention from the true threat: Osama Bin Ladin.

• e komo mai

I posted this on another board but I think it needs repeating here:

"You know, I just decided something for myself.
    I'm going to try not to feed into the media's whole blue versus red thing. Both sides represent one country. My country, our country. Instead of trying to take each other down, they should be working together to make us all stronger. The way these two ineffectual parties work can be likened to playground shenanigans. Phooey on both sides and phooey on the media."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Here's the way I see it. We need Syria as another foothold and staging area as we prepare for action against Iran. Bush is not going to pull out our troops. Just empty promises. He is probably going to reinstate the draft as well, even though he says he's not. It's just so confusing. It's funny if you ask the East Coast and West Coast who they see as more of a threat, The East Coast would say Al Qaida since they already attacked NYC. But the majority of us West Coaster's see North Korea as the bigger threat because they do have missiles that can reach us in California. Not many warheads though but as long as we keep our attention centered on the middle east North Korea can sit there producing more warheads. Face it-this world is on the express elevator to hell going straight down. The thing is no matter what we say, nobody in the government is going to listen. We are just numbers to them. Same holds true for big businesses, Eisner should be an example to that. Even though the stockholders want him out, his cronies in the Board keep him in power. Bush is the same except Bush has the codes for the button. You just have to worry about those around you, your family and friends because the government are going to keep doing what they are doing and unlucky us have to go along for the ride.
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• Rock Star Minion

Remember Georgie, we repubs are for LOW TAXES as well!
    If only Repubs were for lower spending, then there would be a good reason for lower taxes.
    Instead, borrowing to spend = a tax on the future generations.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.
    PM pretty much summed it up, especially with the N. Korea nuke thing.

Sad to say that "Dubya Dubya III" is pretty much eminent at this point.

Ah, screw it. Let's just go to Disneyland.

• So danco samba

...We saved the Iraqis...
    You are kidding, right? They're hip-deep in massive insurrection -- five bombs exploded at five mosques just today, killing Allah-knows-how-many people -- and the Saddam-led despotism has been replaced with imported American despotism (Does the name Abu Ghraib ring a bell?) and if that qualifies as "saved" this is a new use for the word I was previously unfamiliar with.

--t
    Last edited by tod; 02-20-2005 at 12:18 AM.
    Another refugee from Yertle's stack o' turtles.

• Differently clued

Yeah, I don't know about saving them as much something else. You don't torture the people you claim to be saving, no matter how bad they are. We have to take the higher road. Same with the people in Guantanamo Bay. I don't like them, but that's why we have Human Rights Laws to take care of these things.

I'm worried about the North Korea issues as well, but we refused to talk to them last week after Rice belly ached about their uncoopertiveness. With her taking care of diplomatic relations we'll all be dead within the year. At least Powell had some tact and was a genuinely good person.
    "Do it for me then. Your gaming buddies are going to be there too. It will be good for you kids to go out and blow the stink off yourselves for one night."

"Fine. For you. And for the eradication of stink."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast