•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Question Phone numbers with 6 instead of seven numbers?

Ok I just received a phone call from a number with 6 digits, not the usual 7.
    For expample the number was, (818) 555-569 not (818) 555-5695.

Has anyone ever heard of this? It's so strange. I can't even look the number up because it's missing a digit.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Re: Phone numbers with 6 instead of seven numbers?

I pretty sure that our phone system in our office allows us to send out any number we want (you have to dig into the programming of the system to find it) what we can't change is the name that is broadcast with it. I'll try to mess with it tomorrow and see what happens.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Ok I just received a phone call from a number with 6 digits, not the usual 7.
    For expample the number was, (818) 555-569 not (818) 555-5695.

Has anyone ever heard of this? It's so strange. I can't even look the number up because it's missing a digit.
    It's just someone's callerID messed up. The callerID system is not authoritative and in most cases you can put almost anything you want in there - especially if you have your own phone switch (PBX, etc)
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
      MiceChat Moderator

Blog Entries

It came in through my cell phone. It's my old area code but they didn't leave a message so I wanted to look up the number.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Some numbers in the UK have only 6 digits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_tele...numbering_plan
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    It's just someone's callerID messed up. The callerID system is not authoritative and in most cases you can put almost anything you want in there - especially if you have your own phone switch (PBX, etc)
    Yep, that's what we have a Toshiba Strata PBX and you can do all kinds of custom programming. I poke around in there and do some key programming, but I'm no expert.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Cake Anyone?

I had the same thing happen a week ago. A couple of months ago I had ordered pants from Chef Works. So last week I get a call on my cell phone and it was only showing that the incoming call was coming from a 4 digit phone number. Out of curosity I answered the phone and it was Chef Works telemarketers wanting to know if I wanted to order anything else. I think certain companies are now able to only show a portion of their phone number on caller id.
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Step-Mom View Post
    I think certain companies are now able to only show a portion of their phone number on caller id.
    Nope - its just purely configuration on their switches. You probably saw their internal extension, and their IT group hasn't configured the PBX to add the rest. Just like the inverse where sometimes you see the same number from everyone in the same company...

Its all about configuration. Some companies want the DID numbers exposed.. others don't... some are just incompetent

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Cake Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Nope - its just purely configuration on their switches. You probably saw their internal extension, and their IT group hasn't configured the PBX to add the rest. Just like the inverse where sometimes you see the same number from everyone in the same company...

Its all about configuration. Some companies want the DID numbers exposed.. others don't... some are just incompetent
    Wow, didn't know that....thanks for sharing
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Many European countries have variable length telephone numbering systems.

But if it came from the US (and the ones with misconfigured CID ususally are) it's coming from a corporate call center, usually a telemarketer. When you buy your telephone services over a T1 line the calling party has to program their phone switch to send out the Caller ID string. And either they don't know how, or don't want you to know who is calling.

Or worse, they send out deliberately false CID strings like (000) 000-0000 to get around "Anonymous Call Rejection" service you may subscribe to from your local phone company.

By Law (the No Call List legislation) they are required to provide a true ANI/CID string when placing calls, so you can track them down and get your $500 when they violate the No Call Lists and cold-call you. But there are no teeth in that law, so they keep cheating.

I flat out will not answer a no-ID call on my home phone, let the machine screen it. And if they get through to my cell, it gets reported to the cell carrier - they have a better chance of tracing it back and enforcing the 'no telemarketing calls to cellphones' rules.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

•   
      MiceChat Moderator

Blog Entries

I figured it was a telemarketer, esp. when they didn't leave a message. I never ANSWER THE PHONE if I don't know who it is. I hate talking on the phone!!

Can you put your cell on the the do not call list?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• no flash photography...

yes

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I figured it was a telemarketer, esp. when they didn't leave a message. I never ANSWER THE PHONE if I don't know who it is. I hate talking on the phone!!

Yes, you can put a cellphone number on the National and California lists, I have.

Junk calls to cellphones are supposed to be automatically prohibited - but with local number portability there are a lot of former wireline prefix phone numbers that have been ported to cellphones, so they have a convenient excuse.

There are some companies that call my cell about work that don't have their outgoing ANI/CID set, and I have to answer. But I also make a point of chastising them about it - "Hello Anonymous Caller, Sign In, Please!"

And if they try starting off with "Hello, who is this?" ... "No, no, no! You called me anonymously so that's not how it works - You go first. Who is this?" They don't get any information until I decide whether I want to give it out.

If it turns out to be a legit caller, I always end the conversation with "Please tell your Tech to get the phone system programmed properly, because if I'm up on a ladder or with another customer I do not answer blocked calls, you will end up going to Voicemail." One of these days they will get tired of hearing me say this, and will fix it.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

I love the stories and the advice here! I get these calls regularly and even with telling them to take me off their list and I'm on the 'do not call' list! I wish there was a way to track down Junk Fax companies who keep sending you faxes even though you tell them to stop with their opt out bogus number. I complained even to the FCC and they sent a letter back saying "sorry we can't do anything" even thought it violates laws.
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

• Pilot EdForceOne

Yes, the do not call stuff is a joke - its virtually impossible for a consumer to persue abuse of it.

The person calling you is a contracted agent acting on behalf of something like a Retailer. You can tell the retailer not to call you again, but the agent can still call you again on behalf of someone else. And where is the accountability and transparency on how they sourced your number to start with? It's impossible for a consumer to find the 'leak' or chase down the chain of association to find out how a company got your information or if its legit or not.

Any solicitor should have to document the source of every number, tell you exactly the source of your information, and disclose who they are, not just who they are calling on behalf of. There should also be a transaction number associated with any transfer of private information so when you go back to the 'source' they can't just claim 'well we didn't do that'.

I didn't even order a phone in my new apartment after moving out of my house.. I'm so sick of solicitors calling.

Am I evil? yes, I am