Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Questions About Moving Into My 1st Apartment...[Help]

Well, I've finally decided it's time for me to move into my own first apartment. I love my home but I can't stay here forever. I've got a few questions regarding moving into my first apartment.

First off, it's not that far from home - still in Santa Barbara County.
    I've already contacted the landlord and am scheduled to move in by August 15th. I am going to be sharing the apartment with one of my best friends.

Some details:
    *Sq Ft. 1,380 - [Yay!]
    *3 bedroom, 2 bath
    *Kitchen
    *Patio/Deck
    *3 Stories
    *Utilities Included: Trash Pickup

My questions:
    *What do I have to have when I move in? I'm going shopping at Ikea, JC Penny and Target.
    *What supplies are necessary to have?
    *Other things I need to know?

Thanks

Oh, by the way...it IS unfurnished.
    Last edited by MsSarah; 07-18-2008 at 06:35 PM.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Re: Questions About Moving Into My 1st Apartment...[Help]

One thing that was key when I move in anywhere is a functional coffee maker. It makes the whole day better. Okay that's silly I know, but I learned you never really stay friends with the people you live with. Or at least in my case.

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Start with the basics...bed, nightstand, dresser.
    For the shared quarters, sofa, tv and entertainment center, coffee table, kitchen table and at least two chairs.
    For the kitchen, pots, pans, utensils, bakeware, storage containers, dish rack, dish soap, sponge, aluminum foil, ziploc bags, kitchen towels.
    For the bathrooms, toilet paper, toilet cleaning supplies, hand towels, soap, shower curtain and rod.
    You didn't mention if major appliances are included or not, but if they aren't, you'll have to arrange rental of a fridge, washer and dryer. Don't forget laundry supplies.

Really, don't worry about having everything you need on day one. You'll figure out what you want and need as you live in the place. Grow into it.
    Believe me, you'll have too much stuff, soon enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    One thing that was key when I move in anywhere is a functional coffee maker. It makes the whole day better. Okay that's silly I know, but I learned you never really stay friends with the people you live with. Or at least in my case.
    Good catch. Coffee is our friend.

And don't forget the mugs, glasses, plates, blender, toaster/toaster oven.
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

Spend a couple of days before you move taking notes on what items you use throughout the day so you'll remember what you'll to have on hand.

• Minion

I thought about the things that I would go through if I were moving in to an apartment.

-Make a list of essentials things required in a home regardless of who lives there.

-Make another list of things that are essential to you. A warning with this one and the bullet above. Don't buy anything unless you know it will be essential to your everyday life.

-Go over the lists with another person or even family to make sure you have included everything you need and nothing you don't.

-Start crossing off things on the list that you already have.

-Refine your lists of things that you need.

-Check with family and friends on anything and everything that they can help you out with that are on your lists or even cash handouts are great.

-Second hand or thrift stores are great places to find things. My only word of caution is to make sure it is either something that's on your list, or something that you've forgotten to put on your list that is essential. Please, just because something is cheap, doesn't mean you have to buy it. Another word that I thought of too, appliances are usually not all that safe to buy there. You don't know what's been through it or if it works or not.

-If things go well you can start expanding from there, but don't forget to clean the mess behind you.

-You would obviously have stuff back at home that you don't want to toss and forget. It's up to you how you sort through it, whether you take it with you or leave it there. I don't know what your parents would feel about it, whether they would want you to take your stuff with you, leave your room as it is, or box everything up at least. I can't really suggest anything until you figure that out with them. Actually, I can. Anything that you haven't used in the last 6 months that isn't dear to your heart, first sell. If you can get some extra cash for it, awesome! If not, donate it, recycle it, something! Don't let it just sit there being unused just because you were too lazy to move it.

A site that I personally love for making my life better is http://www.wisebread.com Take the site and read it through if you'd like.

For using the most of your space by using various storage techniques.
    Here

JCPenney Tips
    Here
    Last edited by MousieMagic; 07-18-2008 at 09:33 PM.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Before I moved out, I had started collecting things in a box in the garage that I knew I'd need. Like hand me down furniture from parents and friends, kitchen utensils, bathroom and bedroom items and etc. It helps a bit when little by little you acquire certain items beforehand.

Don't let this get you down but I also became mortal enemies with my room mate. We hated each other by the time we moved out. I sincerely hope this doesn't happen to you! Best of luck!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    Don't let this get you down but I also became mortal enemies with my room mate. We hated each other by the time we moved out. I sincerely hope this doesn't happen to you! Best of luck!

Even though she is your best friend, you need personal space. Hate to use this example, but even married couples, people who love each other need their own personal space.

Whether you are living on your own or with a room mate, make sure each of you have an emergency backup fund if for whatever reason one of you can't make rent that month. "It's not because I don't trust you to come through with rent every month, it's that I don't want to get kicked to the street."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    That's what happened with me. My old roommate (we shared a master bedroom in a condo, but our landlord paired us up... oy!) and I were friends at first then.... little things started to tick each other off. And by the end of it we were both so sick of each other. When she moved out she covered my bed in 2 packages of mini marshmellows (and those are icky for me.). And when I lived with my best friend it was drama. That lasted all of a week after her mother decided to start making commentary about my family that was all inaccurate (my mom was having an affair, my dad was gay, etc) and about my sexuality and I turned around said something, thinking it was lighthearted and a playful comeback. Moved out 2 days later. Still haven't talked to this girl and we had been best friends since kindergarten.

Just be careful: living with family is one thing.... living with roommates is awhole 'nother beast.

Those are some pretty nice specs of your new place.

All good advice so far. To reiterate on essentials, at first, get together the things you'd use on a daily basis in the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. If you can do these ahead of time and get a couple boxes together, it'll take a lot of stress off it.
    For bathroom: hand soap, TP, soap+shampoo and related things, and a shower curtain of you need one.
    Bedroom: alarm clock, whatever you don't want to be without any place you go.
    For the kitchen, things like plates, bowls, cups, silverware and a couple pots and pans for starters. (Your folks will certainly have a few hand-me-downs you can use for the time being.) Plus some cleaning stuff: napkins, paper towels, dish soap, a couple kitchen+bathroom cleaners, sponges or rags, laundry soap and whatever else you use to do laundry. Before long get a broom and mop, and a vacuum cleaner.

If you go grocery shopping right away, at first shop as if you're preparing for a camping trip of a few days. If you're both new at going to the grocery store for just yourselves, this will keep you from over-buying at first. You can always swing by the store for additional things as you discover what you need and want.

Just "camp out" at first, as though you're in an RV. Over the next few days, you can get some basic furniture in place: bed, couch, table in the dining room, etc.

By all means, have fun! Think of it as an adventure, and be adventurous. Have fun with arranging all your rooms and all that.

And finally, good advice on the rommmates issue. I've been with roomies a few times, and only one situation was truly worthwhile. A second was fairly decent. Don't sign too long a lease; if you find out you don't do well sharing a place or one has a financial falling-out, it'll lessen the pain factor. (Remember, there is no "primary" lessee: you're both equally liable.) Consider ahead of time things like significant-other stay-overs; come to an agreement and don't be afraid to put it in writing and both of you sign it. It may cause small distances at first but could prevent lost friendships in the long run.

• no flash photography...

when you do your walk through pay attention to everything. I have also been advised to take pictures throughout before you move in. (document the condition of the unit.) They do not like giving security deposits back.

I had verbally told the manager on my walk through things I saw wrong including silverfish....and when we moved out she dinged us for all the stuff that was already wrong.

• Man O Lantern

As a rental home owner, I agree with Scuba. Take pictures of the walls, any stains in the carpet, etc. You want your full deposits back.

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    I learned you never really stay friends with the people you live with. Or at least in my case.
    I married my college roommate and he's my best friend. My other college roommate is still my best girl friend. It doesn't always go askew.

Look on www.craigslist.org for cheap high quality tables, chairs, appliances, etc. People are desperate to get rid of things this time of year--it's a popular time for moves and people just want to be rid of perfectly nice furniture before they go.

For dishes and decorative things, I'd go to IKEA. I wouldn't buy a couch there or anything, because you can get much better quality for a similar price elsewhere, but for everything else, it's fun.

• decorating

FYI, WE have had a Target tv entertainment stand and a bookshelf.
    TV stand lived for a few years- we had a pretty big tv in it for the opening. Bookshelf, we had to scoot over and it fell apart. Just remember, it's cheap furniture, but at least you don't pay a lot for it
    Also, check salvation army, thrift stores, etc. I'm amazed what nice stuff some people donate...

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by ladyalmalthea View Post
    FYI, WE have had a Target tv entertainment stand and a bookshelf.
    TV stand lived for a few years- we had a pretty big tv in it for the opening. Bookshelf, we had to scoot over and it fell apart. Just remember, it's cheap furniture, but at least you don't pay a lot for it
    my BF calls that throw away furniture. We have three things liek that. A bookshelf (it's lasted for 7 years and still going strong), my dresser (It just sits in the guest room and didn't need to be expensive...just functional...it was $89.00), and a small bookshelf, but that came from pier one as a hand me down....so I think it' just looks cheap, but wasn't.

At any rate....all three things are holding u[ very well, mush longer than I ever thought they would.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Ikea has some wonderful 'starter' boxes for your kitchen needs. I also recommend Craigslist for furniture if you are not in a hurry you can get some great deals.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20134268

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40123264

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast