Hurricane [soon to be] Katrina

I have lived in SoFla all my life, I have various certifications thru the national weather service, I have spent time at the national hurricane center, but there is one thing I don't understand. Why is it, that localy at least, a storm never makes landfall during daylight hours. It would be so much less creepy and far more interesting to watch. I was in my house when it was nearly leveled by Andrew, so perhaps that is part of what drives my desire for the daylight during storms, but I still don't get why they always seem to come at night.

I had a few pressing appointments today and tomorrow. All have been postpones. All result in me starting a new job a bit later, and not getting a pay increase for an additional few days. Why couldnt it have delayed something good? Gah.

Sitting here bitter and bored. Anyone else in the same boat?

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Hurricane [soon to be] Katrina

I just remembered why I don't live in Fla (believe it or not, I occasionally wonder about leaving CA for somewhere where we can actually afford a home)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Banned User

I jsut remembered why i live in Tampa... it is rare for a hurriciane to strike here... they usually turn away or something... Hope everyone stays safe...

storms usually arent that bad, you have advanced warning, if they are bad you put up shelters. no big. now the lack of warning and potential damage to property and infrastructure associated with earthquakes...no thanks. never mind (well, you mentioned it) the housing costs. though housing costs are getting pretty insane here as well. our home has much more than doubled in value in 12 years.

figment, a friend of mine lives right next to USF so I am always looking out over there. you guys have lucked out, especially last season. "missed it by that much" as agen t86 might say.

john: agreed. And actually, there have been timees I've considered moving out of state, but with the exception of Vegas, I don't really like living far from a Disney park.

Florida is very attractive for the housing prices, but I can't stand the anticipation of waiting for a disaster to hit. Went through one tornado in the DFW area, and that was enough for me. 5 hours of heart-pounding, being frightened by nasty sirens, and listening to the wind wondering how close the bad part of the storm is... eek.

I'll keep my earthquakes

Anyway, I hope you're not too bored today, holed up in your house. We'll try to keep you entertained.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

please do. it should be easy to entertainme, Im about to head tot he liquor store and restock.

*note, I do not condone hurricane parties or drinking during a storm. generally getting really drunk before a potential 'think on your feet' kinda disaster is a horrible idea. this however isa small storm, so Imma sit in front of my comp (please let the pwr hold out, no generator here) and have a small cocktail.

Hurricane parties, LOL. Well, I suppose if disaster strikes at least you're not on your own!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Is anyone else singing "Walking On Sunshine" every time they hear about Katrina or is it just me?

• Banned User

ok am setting the record staight. No tampa hasn't had a Direct hit but we got the backend of both frances and Jeanne last year and there was significant damage. now not nearly as bad as Polk county or orange county but we did get hit. This storm is bringing lots of rain and wind and from what i have been told, that's about it. but still have to wait till the weekend to find out how much is going to affect us. But for those of you in Miami/Ft Lauderdale I hope everyone is safe. Looks like the worst should be by you by the morning at least.

• I love Florida - and lamp

I haven't heard anything about a forecast for Orlando this weekend - has anyone else?

I know here in Tampa, the TV WX guys are talking about between 8 and 22 inches of rain between tomorrow night and Saturday, but the tracks look to be going south of O-town.

I know I can go to WDW anytime, but Saturday's my birthday and it's been over a month since I've been over, so I'm kinda jonesin'.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    I'll keep my earthquakes
    I'm with Morrigoon. I was 15 miles away from the epicenter of the 7.5 Landers quake in 91. Now that was a E ticket ride. But thankfully we didn't have much damage and only one person was killed. Seriously, we only get really big ones like that every few years. I think the average is 70 years. Hurricanes on the other hand, happen yearly.

Of course the fact that I can't swim might have something to do with my not liking hurricanes. Although... a big enough quake on the San Andreas (which is maybe 20 miles from me) and I might have beachfront property...

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.