• Minion

Blog Entries

Talking Please C/C my groups iPhone paper.

Hey guys! I just finished my groups final paper on the iPhone due on Monday. I was wondering if some of you would like to read it, offer some advice, let me know what you think, all that good stuff...

It is 5 pages long so let me know and I'll pm it to you.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Re: Please C/C my groups iPhone paper.

I'll read it. When is it due? I have a final on Monday so...

• Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    I'll read it. When is it due? I have a final on Monday so...
    It's due the 28th, it's alright if you don't have time

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

I'm interested. Send it over!

• Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by astrologic View Post
    I'm interested. Send it over!
    hey, it says your not allowed to receive PM's,,,

• Minion

Blog Entries

aw screw it, here ya go

On January 9, 2007, Steve Jobs, Chief Executive Officer of Apple Inc. called Macworld Expo to order with the line, “We're going to make some history together today.” After covering the new products and focuses for the coming calendar year, Mr. Job’s had one more trick up his sleeve. At 9:42 am he announced three new Apple products together: a widescreen iPod, a cell phone and an “Internet communicator.” He then revealed that these three products were actually all part of one exceptional device, the Apple iPhone. Cellular technology will never be the same again.
    The iPhone promised a complete redesign of the smart phone, starting with its use; easier, faster and yet, smarter. Unlike traditional smart-phones that have small, cramped plastic keyboards occupying the bottom 40% of the phone, the iPhone has only one button, “home”. In the eloquent word of Mr. Jobs’, “Get rid of all the buttons and just make a giant screen. So how are we going to communicate? We're going to use a stylus -- no. Who wants a stylus?? Yuck!" The new, “multi-touch” display solves that problem, with just your fingers as the tools. Its 3.5-inch, high resolution color screen is completely controlled by only your fingers.
    The screen shows just how smart the phone really it. Different controls appear, as if by magic, based on your actions. If you’re typing a text message or e-mail, a keyboard appears at the bottom of the screen, which allows you to easily type a message and send it to someone from your address book. To zoom into Web pages or pictures, you place your thumb and finger on the screen and spread them apart. To zoom back out, you pinch your thumb and finger together. For music and video, volume and playback controls appear on the screen. The touch screen has the ability to respond to both touch points and their movements simultaneously. With the use of existing technology, the iPhone allows people to use touch commands that require multiple fingers. The iPhone works only if you touch it with your fingertip, therefore you can’t use a stylus or wear non-conductive gloves when operating the commands. The multi-touch technology also has an auto-corrective feature that accounts for accidental taps and corrects misspellings, all the while ignoring unintended actions, like a brush of multiple fingers at once. The Apple iPhone use is high-tech and yet surprisingly simple. With 15 minutes of quiet, just about anyone can become a master.
    The iPhone has three sensors integrated into the phone for better use. The first one is an accelerometer, which senses when you turn the phone on its side, and automatically shifts the display to a landscape mode. The second sensor detects ambient light and adjusts the screen’s brightness accordingly in order to save power. The third sensor deactivates the screen when you bring the phone towards your face, so your cheek won’t dial a number while you’re talking on the phone.
    iPhone syncs easily with a Mac or PC. It runs Apple’s OSX operating system, and its programs and iPod connector will be familiar to many Mac users. When you use the iPod connector or a docking station to connect the phone to your computer, the iPhone will automatically sync your address book, photos, movies, music and bookmarks between the computer and the phone. Some of the iPhone’s other smart phone features include an 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.0 wireless capability, quad-band GSM and Cingular EDGE network, 2.0 megapixel digital camera, IMAP and POP email support with integrated Yahoo! E-mail client and as a bonus, text messages are displayed like instant message conversations, making keeping track of who sent what to you much easier.
    Finally the day came, scores of anxious consumers lined up outside of Apple retail stores, country wide, days in advance, hoping for the opportunity to be among the first to own and experience the Apple iPhone. On Friday, June 29, 2007 they got their chance. Thousands of people went home with their treasure and became the envy of all geeks around them. Then, on the 11th of July 2008 the second generation of the iPhone was released. Now even more people can be proud iPhone owners. Known as the iPhone 3G, it is not the third generation of the iPhone, but the second. The 3G stands for “third-generation mobile technology”, in contrast to the first generation’s “EDGE network”.
    The first and greatest change n the second generation phone is the dent the iPhone makes in the purchasers back account. The new base version is much more affordable, ringing in at $199 plus tax, half the cost of its $399 predecessor. The 16 GB version is $299 from the original $499 2G. Apple updated many of the iPhone’s specs to make this more worth the user’s hard earned cash. The new 3G includes a wide area wireless technology that allows for faster data transmission, 1.4 Mbps, on the Edge network. While the latest firmware can be loaded onto the original iPhone, it cannot be upgraded to faster data speeds due to the fact that the 3G technology requires new internal hardware that the first iPhone was not released with.
    The new iPhone 3G also includes a new face. The rear casing of the iPhone is now made from plastic and comes in different colors depending on the size model you choose. The 8 gigabyte phone was only released in black. When purchasing the 16 gigabyte phone, you can choose black or white. Many outside companies also make removable casing to further customize the appearance of your iPhone. The handset’s edges are thinner and curved which helps hide the new, thicker, but lighter, body style. The length and width of the casing remain unchanged from the 2G phone as well as the widescreen format. The volume buttons were upgraded to a silver-toned, metallic finish, and the headphone port is now flush with the phone’s body to create a sleeker profile. This also eliminated the need for a headphone adapter.
    The basic layout and button placement of the iPhone remain unchanged, adding to the comfort of returning users. However, Apple did improve the overall quality of the speakers, which in turn makes the speakerphone, as well as the music played, sound clearer and more pronounced. One unexpected bonus to the new iPhone 3G is it GPS capabilities, which can locate your position via satellite. Unlike most portable GPS units, however, the iPhone requires constant data connection to provide map coverage as there are no inboard map data included. To combat “unlocking” your phone, the iPhone 3G activation now must take place in an Apple or AT&T store in comparison to the original iPhone, which allowed activation via iTunes in the comfort of your own home.
    As of yet there is no definite way to tell if the battery life has been improved. iPhone 3G is projected to have up to 5 hours of talk time in contrast to the possible 10 hours on the 2G. Standby time is estimated at 300 hours for 3G. Now, the iPhone includes a possible 5 hours of internet use as well as 6 hours of Wi-Fi use. Both the 2G and the 3G have up to 7 hours of video playback and 24 hours of audio playback. To conserve battery life, Apple has included the capabilities of switching to the 2G set up.
    The latest 2.0 software comes preinstalled, where as user would have to install it on the 2G. Special perks include the ability to delete several e-mails at once, as well as the soon to launch MobileMe service; a multi-colored calendar that will be able to sync with your computer. For multilingual users, Apple included a fast input Japanese character keyboard as well as handwriting character recognition for Chinese characters. For the jet-setting business person, there is a new, refined airplane mode setting. With just a touch of a button, users can switch to the planes inboard Wi-Fi system without turning on the cellular radio. Lastly, users now can now make a phone call while surfing the web, a major improvement on the 2G, where you would have to log off first.
    The Applications (App) Store is also new. At the App Store you can look up games to download and install directly to your phone. You can also access featured applications, search for programs by category, or view the most popular apps. There is also an area that allows you to check your current applications to see if there are any updates or newer versions available. Parental controls were added, that when used properly, prevent a user, normally a child, from downloading applications or accessing Safari, YouTube and iTunes.
    The iPhone is smart, safe, easy, fun, and affordable. This combination has lead to its current, and I predict, future success. The future is bright and anything is possible. Maybe at Macworld 2012, the iPhone will have a new user interface that lets you plug in your destination and it drives your car for you….maybe. After all, technology is only limited to what the human imagination and drive can come up with. And thanks to the people of Apple Incorporated, especially Steve Jobs, we are one step closer to what people 60 years ago read and dreamed about, and were considered unobtainable Science Fiction.

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

Just a small typo to fix:
    The screen shows just how smart the phone really it.
    (3rd paragraph)
    I'm guessing it should be "is."

Another small editing thing:
    On Friday, June 29, 2007 they got their chance.
    Should be a comma after 2007. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Another small typo:
    The first and greatest change n the second generation phone is the dent the iPhone makes in the purchasers back account.
    (7th paragraph)
    Should be "in"? (sorry if I'm being too nit-picky!)
    And "purchasers" should have a possessive apostrophe.

One unexpected bonus to the new iPhone 3G is it GPS capabilities,
    (middle of 9th paragraph)
    "it" to "its"

iPhone 3G is projected to have up to 5 hours of talk time
    (10th paragraph)
    I believe it's all numbers less than 10 should be spelled out.

For the essay as a whole, I really liked it. I learned many new things about the iPhone that I didn't know! It was easy to understand and well said.

Hope that helps at all!

• Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by astrologic View Post
    Just a small typo to fix:
    (3rd paragraph)
    I'm guessing it should be "is."

Another small editing thing:

Should be a comma after 2007. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Another small typo:
    (7th paragraph)
    Should be "in"? (sorry if I'm being too nit-picky!)
    And "purchasers" should have a possessive apostrophe.

(middle of 9th paragraph)
    "it" to "its"

(10th paragraph)
    I believe it's all numbers less than 10 should be spelled out.

For the essay as a whole, I really liked it. I learned many new things about the iPhone that I didn't know! It was easy to understand and well said.

Hope that helps at all!

ty, so much! those are things i never would have caught that would have gotten deducted from us.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

In the eloquent word
    Word or words? (It's when talking about Steve Jobs...), since it's more than one one, change it to words, or say something like "In Steve Jobs no non-sense phrasing..." or something...
    It runs Apple’s OSX operating system, and its programs and iPod connector will be familiar to many Mac users.
    Too many "ands" in that sentence. Try
    It runs on Apple's OSX operating system. Its programs and iPod connectors will be familar to many MAC users...
    That doesn't sound right either there are just too many ands for such a short setence and it sounds awkward.

Got about halfway through it... After school I'll come back and finish it. Good job so far. I love proof reading.