Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Re: Earthquake in orange County!

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Step-Mom View Post
    So are you and Jen okay other than a good shaking?
    We're fine. Jen was at work. It took almost an hour before she could use the phone to call home. She said everything at work was fine, no damage just a good shaking (down in Long Beach on PCH). She said one girl came in at 2 PM for her shift and she had been in a Target (didn't say where) in the shampoo aisle and all the bottles started coming off the shelves and the tops bursting open. Quite the mess. That got them all talking about their previous earthquake events. We both wished we'd been at Disneyland today

• Goofy

yes I felt it. and I was sweeping the store until I heard and saw the store moving. So I stopped and drop the red boom and I started to panic and ran until I saw some of the customers were staying calm. I felt like a fool.

Well since I am the store janitor, I had some help in cleaning up. isle 1 was beer and liquor, isle 2 is cooking oil and. So it was pretty much minor clean up but very easy to clean.

• Goofy

Re: Earthquake at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    It's a 5.6 centered in Chino Hills. Which is (as the crow flies) maybe 10 - 20 miles from DL.

I'm in Irvine about 15 miles south at work and our building shook violently, then it slowed down and started shaking violently again. It felt like the building was jumping up and down.

Although I must say Northridge felt worse.
    oh yes.

Earthquakes that are gentle but go on for a long time get graded higher. I'm in Camarillo, too, and it just bounced and rolled for about 30 seconds. I'd rather have these long rolling ones than the sharp short ones.

Cat and dog didn't seem to notice anything before the quake; my anxious dog looked around during the quake but once it was done she was fine again.

Cell phones were immediately jammed, but I was able to get a text message through and call on a land-line. The 'net stayed up as well.

Is it bad that I was merely fascinated by the quake? I was kind of analyzing it as it happened. I noted my chair bounced a bit, then the house started creaking and swaying, and the dog looked around. It intensified for a bit, but then went back down. I've never seen my house move before.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Circle of Ancients

Hope all you Southern Californians are okay!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Someone mentioned going under a door way:
    That's really bad. The door can slam into your fingers and break or cut off (severe?) them. They keep saying under big furniture, like a table. All the tables at my house though are glass...

• Sock Puppet

Wow. I hope that everyone is fine.

I live close to the fault line in Northern Nevada that has been experiencing numerous daily earthquakes. I hope that fault isn't indication that California is about to drop into the ocean! We had a 3.3 this morning and everyone in my house is so used to it we wake up, "again," and sleep.

But a 5.whatever-they-are-saying-now is huge!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

North of Ventura...did not feel a thing. Glad that there are relatively few if any injuries. Just Mother Nature sending us another of her sometimes less than gentle reminders...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    Someone mentioned going under a door way:
    That's really bad. The door can slam into your fingers and break or cut off (severe?) them. They keep saying under big furniture, like a table. All the tables at my house though are glass...

This sounds like another myth that someone came up with. The idea is to not get konked in the head by falling stuff...or get crushed on your way to the desk or table. If your desk is across the room, for gosh sakes get in the door way, ESPECIALLY if you are on the bottom floor of a two story building. Block the door with your foot and don't stick your fingers between the hinges. Most interior doors are not going to sever anything as they are fairly light weight.. My family and I have been going for the doorway since the beginning of time, and after 7 or so good shakers, no smashed fingers to speak of. My mom went through the seven point something Big Bear quake a few years back and half the Mountain came down behind her house. She went for the doorway and was fine.

Today, however, I was in front of a desk, and that was the obvious place to go. I think the key is to get some cover quickly. But to state that you SHOULDN'T use the doorway is silly in my opinion. Go for what is the closest to you, but don't wander around the house looking for a desk.

(Now...walking THROUGH the doorway in the dark is another matter. I still have the semi concussion from that Northridge quake as I was trying to get to my daughter in the dark while half asleep.)
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 07-30-2008 at 11:29 AM.

The sound of glass and china shattering as I hung onto a door jamb in the hallway made this seem like a very big quake indeed! (Four items broken; that's a first for me, and I've lived in Orange County all my life.) Contents of the medicine cabinet spilled into the sink, and books and other items fell on the floor.

People living in the "sand bed" areas of the county may have felt this more strongly than those with houses built on rock.

Barry, you're the first one I've found in the area who didn't feel it. So the shaking stopped somewhere between Oxnard and Ventura. The shakemaps don't go far enough out to show the boundaries of this one.

The safe places depend on where you are: in bed is safe, under a desk is safe, open areas may be safe. Stand near a load-bearing wall; they tend to be stronger than the others. They're saying doorways are not such good places - what's the appeal of a doorway? Other than that you're not near things that can fall. During Northridge I stayed in bed; nothing near me that could fall, really.

ETA: The "triangle of life" email seems to be making another round but ignore that one. That only works in third-world countries with poor building codes. Here in the US, you want to be under something, not next to it. Choose something sturdy, but get under.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

I just realized..by the time I figured out what was going on and screamed at my brother to make sure the dogs are ok, I was just standing there in my hallway watching the walls shake pretty much not being able to do anything else but watch as my house waved back and forth. I didn't even think of getting under my desk because I didn't think it was that strong.
    Next time though, first instinct is going to be get under something!

Felt it down here in San Diego. I was eating in the galley here at the Naval base near National City. Just some minor rumbling and rolling. No real shacking and nothing fell.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...ci14383980.php

Another link.....

SEMPER ABSURDA

• Beep Beep!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    When the earthquake happen I was at my doctor's office. When the shaking happen my doctor fell on top of me. At the time I was laying on the long chair that looks like a bed.
    Likely excuse...
    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I'm a little bummed I moved before this one hit. I really wanted to expireince a real earthquake. I would have been out of town, anyway.

Glad everyone's ok.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789